Maryville and Alcoa

billybobparker

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right off the top of my head Maryville returns a QB (All Stater) TE (Mr Football) and two receivers on offense and two or three Olinemen. They have to replace both RBs, and Maples at receiver and a lineman or two. On defense they have the DTs and one End returning plus another DE who played a lot. They have to replace all three linebackers and one or maybe two in the secondary. They have had seasons where they had more holes to fill, like in 05 when only one offensive starter returned so I would term next year as an average year in terms of holes to fill. Someone else will likely be able to paint this in a more clear picture.

Right off the top of my head Maryville returns a QB (All Stater) TE (Mr Football) and two receivers on offense and two or three Olinemen. They have to replace both RBs, and Maples at receiver and a lineman or two. On defense they have the DTs and one End returning plus another DE who played a lot. They have to replace all three linebackers and one or maybe two in the secondary. They have had seasons where they had more holes to fill, like in 05 when only one offensive starter returned so I would term next year as an average year in terms of holes to fill. Someone else will likely be able to paint this in a more clear picture.

Plus, Maryville will have to replace Taka Koyano one of the best kickers I've seen in high school! Teams always started from the 20, and 40+ yard fieldgoals where common.

IMO, the biggest loss for MHS will be Tyler Maples.

Alcoa: 23-25 seniors gone for next year. I don't remember a year Alcoa lost that many players? Lots of holes to fill. But lots of talent coming. Offense maybe interesting with returners Cobb @ QB, Sommer and Thompson @ Recievers, and Hodges @ RB. Offensive line will have some holes to fill. Defensively will be the hardest hit. The Key to Alcoa's 2007 season IMO, will center on the revamping of major holes on the defense. Plus, Rankin will be changing the defensive system used by Coach Nix for a system Rankin used at Riverdale? The only reason I bring it up, is I was very impressed with Nix's defense last year. Can it get better?

Alcoa will also be searching for a kicker to replace Reid Gusso(sp).

IMO, the biggest loss for AHS will be Chris Shiverdecker.

Alcoa must have A LOT coming back to be up in 4A/5A :thumb:

With all the talent in WB's back yard heading to Alcoa, I'd say they have A LOT coming! TR will be the real deal...thanks! :D

Plus, they probably deserve to to be in 4A/5A more than WB. :lol:

So,.........WB going to step UP and play Alcoa?? They still have three open spots to fill for `2007. Still skeer'd!? :thumb:

Maryville just reloads.... I'm stating the obvious but look for big years next year for seniors Brent Burnette, Aaron Douglas, and Stephen Shiver, just to name a few. If he stays healthy, Burnette should put up some eyepopping stats next year now that he will be the clear #1 guy at QB. I don't know who will emerge as Tank's replacement but I'm sure the Rebels will plug in someone who can do the job.

As for Alcoa, they will be very good as well, but I don't think quite as good as the last two years. Good to see Rankin finally has cleared the air about the Science Hill rumors. I have heard Alcoa has a very good incoming freshman class next year. I also heard they had some good transfers from South Doyle. Anybody know anything about them?

Maryville just reloads.... I'm stating the obvious but look for big years next year for seniors Brent Burnette, Aaron Douglas, and Stephen Shiver, just to name a few. If he stays healthy, Burnette should put up some eyepopping stats next year now that he will be the clear #1 guy at QB. I don't know who will emerge as Tank's replacement but I'm sure the Rebels will plug in someone who can do the job.

As for Alcoa, they will be very good as well, but I don't think quite as good as the last two years. Good to see Rankin finally has cleared the air about the Science Hill rumors. I have heard Alcoa has a very good incoming freshman class next year. I also heard they had some good transfers from South Doyle. Anybody know anything about them?

What about a transfer from Rockwood? I heard it from a parent Sunday. You know how "urban legends" get started but supposedly their best player last year: A Fullback/Linebacker type. (Someone else care to "pipe in?) There were a couple of South Doyle transfers last year and they will be Soph. this year. One is a large lineman.

With all the talent in WB's back yard heading to Alcoa, I'd say they have A LOT coming! TR will be the real deal...thanks! :D

Plus, they probably deserve to to be in 4A/5A more than WB. ;)

So,.........WB going to step UP and play Alcoa?? They still have three open spots to fill for `2007. Still skeer'd!? ;)

I'd say that Sevier County, Dobyns Bennett, and Maryville would say that WB isn't skeer'd of anyone.... :D

Good post mhs.

We will absolutely be loaded in the passing game with Burnette at QB, Douglas at TE, Shiver at WR, and look out for Clendenen and Chris Jordan at WR. The O-line returns Greene and West. TE Douglas in most running sets, is a devastating blocker. We have some very good players like Sullivan, Burns etc. who have played a lot......But we have some monsters coming in this upcoming Sophomore lineman class.. Dane McCoy, Beets, Norton, Parrott, etc. and I hear Trent Guy will be coming back to join them, after having to sit out last year due to an auto accident. Cody McCoy will return at RB, after having started a few games when Tank was sidelined last year. Rodriques could help there too. However, a healthy Thomas Shuler could be the wild card and a true difference maker at RB.

On defense, we should be awesome upfront with the return of last year's super sophs, DE Justin Smith and DT Marcus Englehardt. Tough Josh Cantwell returns at DT, as well as quick Todd Hollingsworth, who could probably play either DT or DE. Wadham also returns at DE, after starting several games for Smith who was injured in the Alcoa game. Rebuilding the linebacker corps will be a major question for the 2007 Rebs. Look for Halsne, Morton, Rodriques, and Jeffrey Booker to battle for those spots. The secondary should be very good with corners Clendenen and Clement returning and safety Shiver. Jordan, Lairamore, Trenda etc. will battle for playing time in the defensive backfield too. Look for Wadham to possibly be the punter. Replacing Taka at PK will be tough. What a weapon he was for us the past 3 years.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Good post mhs.

We will absolutely be loaded in the passing game with Burnette at QB, Douglas at TE, Shiver at WR, and look out for Clendenen and Chris Jordan at WR. The O-line returns Greene and West. TE Douglas in most running sets, is a devastating blocker. We have some very good players like Sullivan, Burns etc. who have played a lot......But we have some monsters coming in this upcoming Sophomore lineman class.. Dane McCoy, Beets, Norton, Parrott, etc. and I hear Trent Guy will be coming back to join them, after having to sit out last year due to an auto accident. Cody McCoy will return at RB, after having started a few games when Tank was sidelined last year. Rodriques could help there too. However, a healthy Thomas Shuler could be the wild card and a true difference maker at RB.

On defense, we should be awesome upfront with the return of last year's super sophs, DE Justin Smith and DT Marcus Englehardt. Tough Josh Cantwell returns at DT, as well as quick Todd Hollingsworth, who could probably play either DT or DE. Wadham also returns at DE, after starting several games for Smith who was injured in the Alcoa game. Rebuilding the linebacker corps will be a major question for the 2007 Rebs. Look for Halsne, Morton, Rodriques, and Jeffrey Booker to battle for those spots. The secondary should be very good with corners Clendenen and Clement returning and safety Shiver. Jordan, Lairamore, Trenda etc. will battle for playing time in the defensive backfield too. Look for Wadham to possibly be the punter. Replacing Taka at PK will be tough. What a weapon he was for us the past 3 years.

Isn't the Coulter kid a pretty good prospect on D as well? Sounds like an abudance of DE's ... not a bad problem to have. Don't know who else is in line, but I know that Zach Sharp (upcoming frosh) has a huge upside at PK. He's been working with some topnotch kicking coach in Knoxville (can't remember his name). Tough spot to "throw" a freshman into, but I believe Zach proved last year he's deadly accurate on xp's and his leg is just gonna get stronger and stronger I think.

Isn't the Coulter kid a pretty good prospect on D as well? Sounds like an abudance of DE's ... not a bad problem to have. Don't know who else is in line, but I know that Zach Sharp (upcoming frosh) has a huge upside at PK. He's been working with some topnotch kicking coach in Knoxville (can't remember his name). Tough spot to "throw" a freshman into, but I believe Zach proved last year he's deadly accurate on xp's and his leg is just gonna get stronger and stronger I think.

I agree the D will be looking to fill the LB spots, can't really replace kids like Caylor and cowboy Hall very easily. Those kids knew how to read the O and that is rare, even at Maryville. Wood at DE will be missed, he had great tools. I thought even with Woods and the great play of a young Smith, the D was the weakest at D end this past year and we all know those kids were very good still and got the job done. Those kids had to replace Tucker and Killebrew who mostly locked up the corner, as few rarely got around the contain in 05. Still I think with a healthy experienced, strong Smith and Wadham will be at the other end things will be great. Another kid who I thought would be an end was West. He is very fast and strong, but has become a great blocker at OT. Good problems to have. The O will be good if they stay healthy, beyond those named that depth will have to step up again and every team has a few of those.

I just hope all of the Coaching staff stay put because that is the biggest key and the Rebels never get tired of learning how to keep winning. Go Rebs