IMAC Predictions

mowesttrojan

QUOTE(mwtfan @ Apr 25 2007 - 01:35 PM) 826445174[/snapback]It would depend on how the runners that were on 2nd & 3rd got there and how many outs there were. If either of those runners reached base by error and then later scored, that run would be unearned. Also, if at any point (prior to the hit you are referring to) an error was made on a play that would have ended the inning, any run scored after that point would be considered unearned. Example: leadoff batter reaches by error, moves to 2nd on a sac bunt (1 out). Runner then scores on a double by the next batter. This is an unearned run because that runner reached by error. Now, the number 4 batter strikes out (2 outs). The number 5 hitter is batting and hits an easy pop-up foul that is dropped by the 3rd baseman who is charged with an error. Next pitch, the number 5 batter hits one over the left field fence for a 2 run homer. You've now scored 3 runs & 2 of them off a home run, but they are all unearned. The last 2 are unearned because the 3rd basemen dropped a ball that would have ended the inning. If the offensive team now proceeds to hit 20 homeruns with 2 outs, every run is unearned.

Wikipedia's earned run explanation

I don't think they are questioning what an unearned run is....they are just saying they seen no errors...and the other book says there was errors.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TNsoftballfan @ Apr 25 2007 - 03:57 PM) 826445184[/snapback]I don't think they are questioning what an unearned run is....they are just saying they seen no errors...and the other book says there was errors.

The question was: "How is that unearned?" My point was: we weren't given enough information to answer the question.

It has been my experience that most people don't really understand what an earned run is. For example, a lot of people do not understand that a walked batter who later scores on a hit is an earned run.

QUOTE(mwtfan @ Apr 25 2007 - 02:33 PM) 826445218[/snapback]The question was: "How is that unearned?" My point was: we weren't given enough information to answer the question.

It has been my experience that most people don't really understand what an earned run is. For example, a lot of people do not understand that a walked batter who later scores on a hit is an earned run.

Point taken. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Let me make a point to try and keep all these Statistics discussions in the right light.

Baseball and softball are both games of statistics. In addition to the team stats (which are admittedly the only ones that really matter), individual stats have been a key element in the game's intrigue and popularity for over a century. How many of us remember following Dale Murphy's batting averages and Home Runs even during Atlanta's darkest years. Shoot....Hank Aaron for that matter! Earned runs happens to be one of the key statistics in measuring the affectiveness of an individual pitcher. Earned runs is not a team measurement, so please know that discussions of earned runs is not intended to bring the player making an error into focus or take focus away from a player who delivers in the clutch.

As the username suggests, statistics has become a hobby for me with regard to this game that we apparently all love. If we can keep the subject of statistics in the right light, then it can only add to the intrigue and enjoyment of the game.

Otherwise, I'll just try to keep the hobby to myself.

QUOTE(aballfamily05 @ Apr 25 2007 - 01:27 PM) 826445171[/snapback]I dont think anyone has any influence over pokey.

Ole scotty dubya will keep her butt in line /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Oh and don't forget im waiting to catch a homerun ball so i can get you to autograph it pokester

QUOTE(statman3 @ Apr 25 2007 - 03:52 PM) 826445277[/snapback]Let me make a point to try and keep all these Statistics discussions in the right light.

Baseball and softball are both games of statistics. In addition to the team stats (which are admittedly the only ones that really matter), individual stats have been a key element in the game's intrigue and popularity for over a century. How many of us remember following Dale Murphy's batting averages and Home Runs even during Atlanta's darkest years. Shoot....Hank Aaron for that matter! Earned runs happens to be one of the key statistics in measuring the affectiveness of an individual pitcher. Earned runs is not a team measurement, so please know that discussions of earned runs is not intended to bring the player making an error into focus or take focus away from a player who delivers in the clutch.

As the username suggests, statistics has become a hobby for me with regard to this game that we apparently all love. If we can keep the subject of statistics in the right light, then it can only add to the intrigue and enjoyment of the game.

Otherwise, I'll just try to keep the hobby to myself.

Statman - TN - mwtfan: Your stat history is riviting. Who is Dale Murphy?

Just kidding -- I enjoyed following the "Smurf", but I did not keep track of his stats. I may not appreciate the game as much as you boys. Either that or I have a life -- just funning. I actually learned something new on the subject of earned runs. Don't know that I care -- but I learned.

QUOTE(DZbettin @ Apr 25 2007 - 05:26 PM) 826445335[/snapback]Ole scotty dubya will keep her butt in line /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Oh and don't forget im waiting to catch a homerun ball so i can get you to autograph it pokester

I appreciate all the responce to this question. We all do love the game of softball and our IMAC girls. I in no way want to be percieved as trying to take anything away from Miss Gilbert or Miss Dyer. I am not sure of how the runners reached base I would have to look the book, but there was only one out and that is part of the reason I asked the question. Thanks Guys. Go Lady Pats!!! Hope the ducklings spread their wings thursday night!

On the subject of pitching -- I read comment about Gilbert being unhittable as a Senior if she kept improving. I've seen the Pokester in action and rumors of a fastball exceeding 70 mph.

It seems to me that low 50's is more common than high 50's. What I'm getting at -- is how much have any of you really seen pitching improve (ie speed). A good pitcher working hard can improve her skill and certainly can add a pitch or two to make her tougher. Rarely have I seen a pitcher offer dramatic change from Freshman to Senior. They get a little bigger - stronger, but I don't see speed changing that much. I'm wondering what most have seen. I've seen a Freshman that throws 58 mph and is throwing 55 as a Senior.

To read on the subject -- some pitches require 3 years or better to master (IE rise ball), not to mention they need to exceed a certain velocity. How many enter high school, continuing to work on their game.

I guess it just seems the exception rather than the rule. How much better will Cherokee pitcher get for example.

Finally -- as far as being unhittable -- I saw Candice Irwin get hammered for 7 runs a couple of weeks ago and she is as good as I have seen this year.

Anyway -- what have you seen? mwtfan -- I believe you coach -- what have you seen?

As mechanics get better, and as a young lady gets physically taller and stronger both speed and control will get stronger. I have seen young ladies increase their speed in high school and in college. Technique alone can increase speed. Drop offs in speed occur most frequently in young girls that developed early and grew to full height by 11 or 12. I don't know why this is, it just is a pattern I have observed.

QUOTE(Lance @ Apr 25 2007 - 10:12 PM) 826445476[/snapback]On the subject of pitching -- I read comment about Gilbert being unhittable as a Senior if she kept improving. I've seen the Pokester in action and rumors of a fastball exceeding 70 mph.

It seems to me that low 50's is more common than high 50's. What I'm getting at -- is how much have any of you really seen pitching improve (ie speed). A good pitcher working hard can improve her skill and certainly can add a pitch or two to make her tougher. Rarely have I seen a pitcher offer dramatic change from Freshman to Senior. They get a little bigger - stronger, but I don't see speed changing that much. I'm wondering what most have seen. I've seen a Freshman that throws 58 mph and is throwing 55 as a Senior.

To read on the subject -- some pitches require 3 years or better to master (IE rise ball), not to mention they need to exceed a certain velocity. How many enter high school, continuing to work on their game.

I guess it just seems the exception rather than the rule. How much better will Cherokee pitcher get for example.

Finally -- as far as being unhittable -- I saw Candice Irwin get hammered for 7 runs a couple of weeks ago and she is as good as I have seen this year.

Anyway -- what have you seen? mwtfan -- I believe you coach -- what have you seen?

First of all I haven't seen a high school pitcher I would consider unhittable, nor do I expect I will. Closest thing to it has to be the Hosfield girl from Riverdale...pretty incredible.

I do have quite a bit of experience staring down the barrel of a radar gun over the course of a dedicated hard working pitcher developing from the age of 11 to 15. I know that once consistant pitching technique is learned, you will not see a jump dramatically in speed over a short period of time. My experience says that consistantly gaining 2 to 3 mph per year over that time frame is achievable with a lot of blood sweat and tears. After 15....don't know yet.

Forget 70...When you hear that kind of rumor, just smile and ignore it. I know that about 60 mph is what you will see from the top handful of high school pitchers in NE TN. And for reference, I would place Hosfield around 65. And by the way, that 5 mph difference is HUGE.

The best statement I read regarding speed however is that "it doesn't really matter how fast you can make the ball move towards the batter...it's how fast you can make the ball move away from the batter".

QUOTE(Lance @ Apr 25 2007 - 08:12 PM) 826445476[/snapback]On the subject of pitching -- I read comment about Gilbert being unhittable as a Senior if she kept improving. I've seen the Pokester in action and rumors of a fastball exceeding 70 mph.

First I want everyone to understand that what I put on here is merely my OPINION and/or PREDICTION (Lance).....and by the way I love any opportunity to voice my opinion!!!! Which most of you could and/or should care less about.

I did say that Gilbert MIGHT be unhittable by her senior year.

As we know a good pitcher learns the most from game experience and MY OPINION is that the more games she pitches the more she will mature and learn. I feel she will pick up some speed and definitely will fine tune that arsenal of pitches she has before her senior year. As a sophomore she has already proved to be one of the top pitchers in East TN....and once again MY OPINION...the state. Most of the games that she loses are caused by those pesty ERRORS.

I PREDICT that we will be hearing "more" great things about Miss Gilbert!!!!

FYI...I am not in any way related to her....I am just a big FAN and love to watch her in action!!!! Just as I love to watch Pokey, India, Katie,Tori, Dyer and any pitcher that has worked hard to get better!!!!!

What, if any, is the importance of tonight's West - Jeff game? Is 2nd place on the line for Jeff? I haven't been following the wins and losses closely, and my local (DZ dig here, /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> LOL) sports page doesn't try to print softball and baseball standings.

Good Luck Lady Pats!