Humboldt vs. Wartburg

VikingFan9

QUOTE(westtennsports @ Mar 12 2007 - 09:36 AM) 826408717[/snapback]I will be glad for Wednesday around 3:15 to get here so the Wartburg people will get about 4-5 hours of "great season guys" and "we're really proud of you" and then get off the T. Maybe the Temple faithful will have more basketball sense.

I graduated from Temple, so actually im a Temple fan. Im not for wartburg and im not for Humboldt...ive seen wartburg play some and I think they have a solid basketball team. All I said was that that dude was an idiot....because he is. Its idiotic to say Humboldt is 100 times better and more athletic than wartburg if he has never seen them play. Scratch that...he's never even HEARD of wartburg....let alone see them play. It just doesnt make sense to me.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bulldawgs#1 @ Mar 12 2007 - 10:48 PM) 826409652[/snapback]"Your" shows posession. I think "you're" might be the contraction you're looking for. And no I'm not an idiot. I've played and watched basketball the last ten years or so in west tn. I've been to several state tournaments and played a lot of games in the summer against teams east of here. Proven fact that the west has better teams and are MUCH more athletic. This is not something new. Humboldt is a very good, very athletic team by west standards. Just gonna play the percentages and say that wartburg is the usual east tn that doesn't belong on the court with humboldt. Now anything can happen, they play the game for a reason. Humboldt has been known to underachieve at times. Anything can happen but odds are Humboldt wins BIG.

I just think the kids from wartburg deserve more respect than what you guys are giving them. Saying that Wartburg doesnt belong on the same court as Humboldt is ridiculous, not from a basketball standpoint but a respect standpoint. This is a game. Just because you played and watched basketball for ten years doesnt mean you have the right to disrespect 17 and 18 year old kids.

And for the record, its not a proven fact that the west has better teams and are much more athletic. Did you forget that temple is from East Tennessee as well? Humboldt might have Wartburg outmatched, but please, just show the kids some respect.

QUOTE(floridagirl @ Mar 7 2007 - 07:36 PM) 826404033[/snapback]Good post but I would'nt be giving so much info!!!!!

I'm sure Humboldt has a much better scouting report than the general info I gave. They'll know who can and can't use both hands off the dribble, which way a kid tends to goon the baseline, where they like to shoot from, what they like to run when they must have a basket and all that stuff. Wartburg will have the same on Humboldt.

I hope Wartburg beats them, but the East (Regions 1-2) hasn't fared well against the West in a long time.

It sounds like Wartburg shouldn't even bother making the trip. Hopefully, Coach Layne will be able to get his team on the bus. If not, it's understandable because it sounds to me like Humboldt is the best team since Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler and Phi Slamma Jamma. I heard Jimmy Valvano had trouble getting his team on the bus for that one. By the way, who won that game?

Well on second thought, maybe Wartburg should go and maybe they can hang for a while. Heck, Chaminade did beat Ralph Sampson and Virginia, and I believe David beat Goliath a few years back.

QUOTE(frankieD12 @ Mar 12 2007 - 04:59 PM) 826409343[/snapback]i agree with bed2i...lost 3 starters last year...epperson came off of the bench last year and did a great job and it shows this year...sain also played last year...sain, odell jackson, and epperson all started last year at some point...but after this year they are only losing sain and have 4 returning starters again....only losing 2 seniors

Epperson didn't come off the bench......He started last year, and this years Humboldt squad is not better than last years squad...I'm from Humboldt, and this years team is pretty good but last years team is better....Humboldt had no business not winning state last year, to talented!!!! but hopefully they'll make up 4 last years team.....

QUOTE(mr playboy @ Mar 13 2007 - 01:32 AM) 826409826[/snapback]Epperson didn't come off the bench......He started last year, and this years Humboldt squad is not better than last years squad...I'm from Humboldt, and this years team is pretty good but last years team is better....Humboldt had no business not winning state last year, to talented!!!! but hopefully they'll make up 4 last years team.....

Grace just had an exceptional game against a great Humboldt team last year in the semi's. If that game had been played the day before or the day after, Humboldt would have squashed Grace.

QUOTE(triathlete @ Mar 13 2007 - 08:14 AM) 826409954[/snapback]I have not seen this years team but I did get a good look at last years team and it would be hard to be more talented. In the semi's the just ran into a better TEAM. Couldn't guard a nerdy white boy and got dunked on 3 times by a sophmore.

I agree. I am from Humboldt, and I do believe that last years team was a little better, but this group is not far behind. Yes, they ran into a guy who had the best shooting game of his career and got dunked on 4 times, not 3, I was in the front row and remember all of them too well. But, I sure do hope they bring home the gold ball this time; it is the third consecutive trip to the boro, and they will want it more than any team here.

QUOTE(goosevol @ Mar 13 2007 - 12:20 AM) 826409822[/snapback]It sounds like Wartburg shouldn't even bother making the trip. Hopefully, Coach Layne will be able to get his team on the bus. If not, it's understandable because it sounds to me like Humboldt is the best team since Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler and Phi Slamma Jamma. I heard Jimmy Valvano had trouble getting his team on the bus for that one. By the way, who won that game?

Well on second thought, maybe Wartburg should go and maybe they can hang for a while. Heck, Chaminade did beat Ralph Sampson and Virginia, and I believe David beat Goliath a few years back.

Instead of the sarcasm,why not give us a reason why Wartburg will win the game......Humboldt is not the Houston of back in the day.....

Wartburg will show up and play....And for them,I'm sure they will play hard...Humboldt is by far the most athletic 1A team in the state tournament...They get a little big-headed sometimes and that can't happen this week.....They have been to the tournament now three years in a row and will have a good shot at going back next year...Wartburg has never played for a state championship in ANY sport...Wartburg will have to get over that feeling of being on that Murphy Center floor with all the lights and cameras....It's a little overwhelming at first....If they start out a little slow,they will find themselves down double digits real early and if Humboldt ever starts getting to feel good against you,you are in BIG trouble....