Clarksville vs. Maryville

Clkshighfan

QUOTE(kazam37 @ Mar 19 2007 - 09:45 AM) 826417382[/snapback]Not shooting the kids, cause they were the ones that won it! I am giving you an honest assessment of the skill set of the majority of the teams. The Rebs are athletic, yes, but two of them are much more suited to the sport they are ultimately going to play. (Maples and Douglas: Football) You are right , they weren't overmatched in speed or size, but there was a bevy of players that had more rounded basketball skills than them. Eldredge kept the team playing to its strength throughout the State Tourney, that is why you get the hardware. Can another team in the state beat Maryville, sure, but his kids overachieved at the right moment. Thats coaching and players buying into what he was selling. Hey, enjoy this one because it is not going to be like football. I make that statement, not because you won't win it again ever, it is just tougher than it looks. (and a little luck is involved along the way) Great show for three days and I wouldn't let Eldredge go anywhere if I were you. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

Kaz

eldredge walked into a good situation created by RODNEY NELSON. lets not lose sight of the fact that this was his school...his team...his program. everyone knew what this team had and what it could do. yes eldredge did a good job during the tournament and is a good coach but this team was built long before he got to maryville.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(modincus @ Mar 19 2007 - 09:48 AM) 826417453[/snapback]eldredge walked into a good situation created by RODNEY NELSON. lets not lose sight of the fact that this was his school...his team...his program. everyone knew what this team had and what it could do. yes eldredge did a good job during the tournament and is a good coach but this team was built long before he got to maryville.

Great point modincus. I told Rodney after we made it to the state that he helped lay the foundation for the success we are having. He wasn't there for the finished product but he certainly deserves a lot of credit for building the basketball program at Maryville High School.

Certainly, Mark Eldridge deserves a lot of credit for coaching the team this year but I think even Mark would tell you that he inherited a very good situation at Maryville High School.

Boseman, dont make STUPID comments like that. Maryville will not be killed by anyone, they might get beat but not killed.

Nelson did lay the foundation but he could never get over the hump, This almost the same team from last year that got beat by William Blount by 20 twice. Eldridge would have never lost by 20.

I believe that JD just got himself a D1 scholarship. Basile im sure got a few looks also.

I hope that GQ will sign Eldridge for a few more years.

QUOTE(modincus @ Mar 19 2007 - 10:48 AM) 826417453[/snapback]eldredge walked into a good situation created by RODNEY NELSON. lets not lose sight of the fact that this was his school...his team...his program. everyone knew what this team had and what it could do. yes eldredge did a good job during the tournament and is a good coach but this team was built long before he got to maryville.

Good post and you are correct. Rodney stated about this time last year that this team had a great chance to make it to the state. I stated a couple of weeks ago that Coach E did a good job not screwing it up. That statement was a little misconstrewed by a few so let me elaborate. It was not a shot at Coach E at all. Coach E came in after the summer session was over. He had a bunch of kids he didn't know that were basically trained and in a system that was Rodney's. To make changes that suited a new coaches style and selling the kids on his system after being trained by another coach for many years was a challenge. It would have been easy to upset the chemistry and lose some of the players that had been in another system and adapted to another coach. I thought coach E did a good job of keeping it together and that was my point.

Rodney is an excellent X's and O's coach and I wouldn't be surprised to see him coaching again somewhere else....and soon. I hear there is a chance the JCSH job is opening up and IMO that would be a great fit for Rodney if he wants to make that move. Being a former George Pitts player I would think that would be an advantage for Rodney and an excellent fit for JCSH.....JMO

I also knew the Nelson factor would be brought up. Listen, Rodney Nelson was a good coach that drew from the same well Eldredge does now. I'm not trying to knock the guy, but he didn't put a Gold Ball in the Trophy Case. Mark Eldredge could go riding off into the sunset and if Nelson came back, I don't care how you slice it, he still would have a monkey on his back. Only now, because of Eldredge, it would be a 600 pound gorilla! Don't give Nelson credit for this seasons success because he didn't push the buttons. I doubt seriously they ran sets that Rodney Nelson ran?!?! No, I'd be more inclined to think this team had Mark's Stamp all over it. If you look at everyone on TV standing around after the game, the kids had a look of disbelief in what they had accomplished. Then the camera pans over to Coach E. and he looks right at home. You know why?..........cause he is! /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Kaz

QUOTE(STARSNBARS @ Mar 18 2007 - 12:08 AM) 826415882[/snapback]Congrats to Clarksville on a good season.

Bottom Line.....Mairvul Rebs State Champs...in Football and Basketball ....A DOUBLE DOUBLE...

Big Aaron is an animal inside...

Damron came up big.....

Mairvul Tinnersee.....A City of Champions........And where GOLD is our favorite color.....

And both are juniors!

When Reynolds (sophomore) grows into that tall body he'll have consistent big games as well.

QUOTE(3 @ Mar 19 2007 - 10:32 AM) 826417509[/snapback]And both are juniors!

When Reynolds (sophomore) grows into that tall body he'll have consistent big games as well.

Damron was awesome and took it up a notch with Basile and Maples out of the game. He showed why he may be the next Oglesby who was my vote for "Mr Basketball". Nelson and Eldridge are both great coaches and both deserve credit for what this team accomplished. Eldridge came in wearing an "interim coach" stigma and did the impossible. The kids absolutely "love" him and that may be why he was able to take them to the next level. He was Mr Cool under pressure and they all responded accordingly. Eldridge managed to do the "little things" which made the "big difference". I hope he like Quarles stays a long time despite the sure temptations to go "college". He like Quarles is a "class act". Nelson laid the foundation and Eldridge built the house......both deserve alot of credit. No comparisons are necessary. Bobby Knight and Bruce Pearl have their own styles and both are effective great coaches.

Agree with Williegov Damron should solidify his D1 pursuits with this finale. I have got to believe that kid from Liberty, the 5 ft point guard is going to be there too. Despite his small size he was phenomenal.

QUOTE(MLREB @ Mar 19 2007 - 11:20 AM) 826417498[/snapback]

I hope that GQ will sign Eldridge for a few more years.

WillieB....that was supppose to be a secret. You will be ###### for scooping the Maryville fishwrap.. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

It was only a secret til the state tourny ended and everyone keep it quite now that it is over everyone already knows. SCOOPING THE FISHWRAP, i was told didnt have to scoop.

I will be what? It is blanked out.

Maryville: The best sports town in America

QUOTE(williebgovs04 @ Mar 19 2007 - 01:33 PM) 826417618[/snapback]It was only a secret til the state tourny ended and everyone keep it quite now that it is over everyone already knows. SCOOPING THE FISHWRAP, i was told didnt have to scoop.

I will be what? It is blanked out.

Maryville: The best sports town in America

CoachT didn't like my choice of words...it wasn't bad. Let's just say the Maryville Fishwrap won't be happy since they won't get to break it. I love it!

I don't understand the fishwrap. We heard over here about 3 weeks ago that GQ was taking over. Will he still coach Football? The decision is easy for JT. What else does he need to prove. He brings in E and wins a gold ball. GQ wins one every year. His wife might just want to take over the school system in the future...and she can't with him being the AD at Maryville. It all adds up.

QUOTE(etcoach @ Mar 19 2007 - 01:57 PM) 826417645[/snapback]I don't understand the fishwrap. We heard over here about 3 weeks ago that GQ was taking over. Will he still coach Football? The decision is easy for JT. What else does he need to prove. He brings in E and wins a gold ball. GQ wins one every year. His wife might just want to take over the school system in the future...and she can't with him being the AD at Maryville. It all adds up.

Unfortunately for the rest of the highschool football lovers in Tennessee GQ will remain the football coach at MHS. I have an idea on how it went down but honestly it's just a theory and one I don't want to advertise. Let's just say JT's record speaks for intself and we are lucky to have had his services for his tenure as the Maryville AD.