>>>>>>Week Zero<<<<<<

QUOTE(ruse? @ Apr 5 2007 - 01:50 PM) 826430818[/snapback]BCsportsfan.

You are absolutely right. They have Cobb, Sommer, and Hodge, and that is about it on offense. Shiverdecker, Lanxter, Stultz, Dillard, at the skill positions, and the entire O Line (I think) are gone. Pretty sure the D got hammered as well. Sykes, and Dunkin are gone at the ends, Hicks and Tate are gone from the LB, Lanxter, and Green are gone @ DB. Thompson and Sommer will be as good of a DB tandem around, but what about pressure up front. Hodge also plays LB. Not too much experience, and those that do will play both ways. Battle, Hickman, Owens and others will need to step up quick. There will be talent coming up, but the game is early and it will be hot. Alcoa will be good, but they won't be 87 points better than anybody on their schedule this year.

On the same page with you ruse. I don't see Alcoa staying within 3 points of Maryville this season. Maryville's strengths will not matchup well for Alcoa. Should compete well at the 2A level.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BCsportsfan @ Apr 5 2007 - 09:09 PM) 826430971[/snapback]On the same page with you ruse. I don't see Alcoa staying within 3 points of Maryville this season. Maryville's strengths will not matchup well for Alcoa. Should compete well at the 2A level.

They'll definitely compete in their division, the only thing I want to mention here that has been absent is that while there is alot of talent to replace, the coaching staff is very good at what they do and they will scheme and train players to give Alcoa another tough team. Maybe not as many big names, but it could be a better team than many realize. Especially if Alcoa finds some good young players to fill the holes. Good luck to all.

QUOTE(akula21 @ Apr 5 2007 - 10:01 PM) 826431116[/snapback]They'll definitely compete in their division, the only thing I want to mention here that has been absent is that while there is alot of talent to replace, the coaching staff is very good at what they do and they will scheme and train players to give Alcoa another tough team. Maybe not as many big names, but it could be a better team than many realize. Especially if Alcoa finds some good young players to fill the holes. Good luck to all.

akula21.

Good points. Rankin and company will find ways to get the ball in the hands of Sommer, Thompson, and Hodge. Cobb is pretty mobile, and could certainly run some option which would also allow for what will be a younger O line to develop. They will have young ones that will step up.

QUOTE(ruse? @ Apr 5 2007 - 02:50 PM) 826430818[/snapback]BCsportsfan.

You are absolutely right. They have Cobb, Sommer, and Hodge, and that is about it on offense. Shiverdecker, Lanxter, Stultz, Dillard, at the skill positions, and the entire O Line (I think) are gone. Pretty sure the D got hammered as well. Sykes, and Dunkin are gone at the ends, Hicks and Tate are gone from the LB, Lanxter, and Green are gone @ DB. Thompson and Sommer will be as good of a DB tandem around, but what about pressure up front. Hodge also plays LB. Not too much experience, and those that do will play both ways. Battle, Hickman, Owens and others will need to step up quick. There will be talent coming up, but the game is early and it will be hot. Alcoa will be good, but they won't be 87 points better than anybody on their schedule this year.

Sorry, but gonna have to disagree with you on the O-line. Most of the O-line starters at the end of the year were underclassmen. Some of the seniors (on O-Line) lost their starting positions and were shifted around during the season. Shouldn't see too much of a difference next year; Cobb should have plenty of protection. The d-line, however, is gonna be hammered with newbies. Almost all (if not all) of the starters are seniors this year. O-line should be in good shape; I'm a little worried about the D next year.

QUOTE(tornadogold @ Apr 13 2007 - 09:00 AM) 826436630[/snapback]Sorry, but gonna have to disagree with you on the O-line. Most of the O-line starters at the end of the year were underclassmen. Some of the seniors (on O-Line) lost their starting positions and were shifted around during the season. Shouldn't see too much of a difference next year; Cobb should have plenty of protection. The d-line, however, is gonna be hammered with newbies. Almost all (if not all) of the starters are seniors this year. O-line should be in good shape; I'm a little worried about the D next year.

Good to hear about the o-line tornadogold! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Alcoa will likely win the game going away but GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC the fans of the Tornadoes will love watching Spring Hill quarterback Magwan Smith (#9) in person. He lays it all on the line every time Spring Hill takes the field and there will be several instances in this one where he will keep busted plays alive with his athleticism but more importantly because he is a young man who plays the game the way it's meant to be played and that is with TREMENDOUS HEART!!!!

QUOTE(tornadogold @ Apr 13 2007 - 09:00 AM) 826436630[/snapback]Sorry, but gonna have to disagree with you on the O-line. Most of the O-line starters at the end of the year were underclassmen. Some of the seniors (on O-Line) lost their starting positions and were shifted around during the season.

Tornadogold, I could have sworn that seniors center Corey Brewer #60, guard Josiah Standridge #68, and tackles Jacob LeQuire #75 and Nathan Backus #76 started against Goodpasture when watching the replay on Tornado TV the other night.

But maybe I was wrong.

Alcoa will take a big hit. They will still be good. Maybe good enough to 4 peat in 2A. But! These last 2 years Alcoa was good enough to beat almost any team in any class. I said this more than once. Last year they were the best team Maryville faced last year. There is no way they can be near as good this year. They lost too much. For a 2A school to lose over 25 seniors is a huge hit.Everybody talks about the Brandon Warren,Dustin Lindsey led class but most of Alcoa's success the last 3 seasons was because of this past senior class they had. This past senior class is their best ever that I have seen. Losing stars like Rae Sykes(UT Signee),Kyrus Lankster(KY Signee),Chris Shiverdecker(CN Signee) hurts. But losing these kids hurt worse. Jacob Lequire,Justin Dunkin,Cody Marsh,Nathan Backus,Josiah Standridge,Corey Brewer,Bobby Keller and Neil Cooper were all linemen that started. Most of them started 3-4 years. Losing Darrel Tate at linebacker and Alex Green at corner will hurt. Alcoa's biggest loss will be replacing Bart Hicks. That guy was an animal. He is a 2 time Blue Cross Bowl defensive MVP.

QUOTE(tornadogold @ Apr 13 2007 - 09:00 AM) 826436630[/snapback]Sorry, but gonna have to disagree with you on the O-line. Most of the O-line starters at the end of the year were underclassmen. Some of the seniors (on O-Line) lost their starting positions and were shifted around during the season. Shouldn't see too much of a difference next year; Cobb should have plenty of protection. The d-line, however, is gonna be hammered with newbies. Almost all (if not all) of the starters are seniors this year. O-line should be in good shape; I'm a little worried about the D next year.

Hey tornadogold.

Maybe Rankin was rotating guys in late in the season prior to playoffs for experience, but I'm pretty sure the guys mentioned earlier were in there against Smith County and in the Championship game. They pretty much rolled everybody after the Fulton game which would have given the younger guys lots of snaps.

QUOTE(REBELRON @ Apr 14 2007 - 02:04 PM) 826437493[/snapback]Alcoa will take a big hit. They will still be good. Maybe good enough to 4 peat in 2A. But! These last 2 years Alcoa was good enough to beat almost any team in any class. I said this more than once. Last year they were the best team Maryville faced last year. There is no way they can be near as good this year. They lost too much. For a 2A school to lose over 25 seniors is a huge hit.Everybody talks about the Brandon Warren,Dustin Lindsey led class but most of Alcoa's success the last 3 seasons was because of this past senior class they had. This past senior class is their best ever that I have seen. Losing stars like Rae Sykes(UT Signee),Kyrus Lankster(KY Signee),Chris Shiverdecker(CN Signee) hurts. But losing these kids hurt worse. Jacob Lequire,Justin Dunkin,Cody Marsh,Nathan Backus,Josiah Standridge,Corey Brewer,Bobby Keller and Neil Cooper were all linemen that started. Most of them started 3-4 years. Losing Darrel Tate at linebacker and Alex Green at corner will hurt. Alcoa's biggest loss will be replacing Bart Hicks. That guy was an animal. He is a 2 time Blue Cross Bowl defensive MVP.

REBELRON.

Yes they will take a big hit, and yes they will still be good, and for some time. Alcoa, like Maryville, has more than just players. They have coaching, community support, good feeder program(s), winning tradition, and financial support. Just like before there was Burnette & Hunt, at Maryville, there was Fiegler before Cobb at Alcoa. And so on, and so on before them. That is reloading. No need to worry too much about losing Maples when you have Shiver back. No need to worry about losing Lanxter when you have Sommer back. Last yr. Alcoa lost twice. Maryville & Fulton. Both state champs. By the time Thanksgiving rolls around, I have a feeling both will be still be playing.