Field size

VeerCoach

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam Davis? Yeah......I played on that one too and the one in Centerville with the wooden covered bleachers. The old Pillow Park field in Columbia was 294 down the right field line and about 320 in left and 340? maybe in center. Played at Centennial Park. They didn't even have a fence.

I believe Grider Stadium at Tullahoma was the only on campus field in 8AAA in those days. The rest were in city parks and not that well kept. Times sure have changed. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(VeerCoach @ Apr 24 2007 - 08:05 PM) 826444397[/snapback]I thought when I was in high school playing on a field with with the fence size of 310 and 315 down the lines 330 in the gaps and 340 in center was short .... but after seeing some fields that are not even 300 in center the TSSAA has to mandate something. I think the TSSAA should step and and say atleast 300 down the lines and 330 in center. if your school has to play at city park and the fences are not regulation you must move your games or play all away games.

This is absurd. Every field is different. It may work in bigger cities but small towns, single A schools, are very likely to have only one field. What happens when one team that doesn't have a field that is regulation goes to play another team that doesn't have a regulation field. Do they both forfiet? Man there aren't 2 major league fields that are the same. And above all the T$$AA doesn't need anything else to control or mandate.

Forrset field in Chapel Hill is regulation size I think last size was 305 in left 305 in right 360 in center but its a little uphill and hope you cant hit the rock out there will send the ball bouncing like a tennis ball for a real nice ground rule double.I think the deepest part is L-center. Many improvements made to complex, we do get asked by many opposing teams why don't we level the outfield? well it would take alot of T.N.T. and then a heck of a lot more dirt.(and please not that RED dirt) See Chapel Hill is built on a big rock! Maybe our town name should have been Chapel Rock! Always wondered why we are the Rockets and not just plan old Forrest Rocks! Have to admit that its much better sence we don't share the field with softball who have their own wonderful field. Go Rock!! P.S could use some better lighting in Right field but then again I think the rock problem comes into play, maybe if we could get a mirror on the new football lights/complex added it might help the right fielders see the ball after dark.(awlful dark corner) with the existing lights.

QUOTE(tigerman @ Apr 25 2007 - 07:15 AM) 826444758[/snapback]None of you all have ever been to Lewisburg have you ?

It's just the opposite.

Down the lines is reasonable, but this baseball/football field is

about 2 miles to deep center & 2&1/2 to 3 miles in the gaps.

I've seen a few actually go out in some of the deepest parts of the

park, but you'll see a lot more exciting triples if the ball makes the gap.

It's a long lonely run for an outfielder if he gets burnt !!!

I've seen a ball hit halfway up the bleechers.

QUOTE(tigerman @ Apr 25 2007 - 06:15 AM) 826444758[/snapback]None of you all have ever been to Lewisburg have you ?

It's just the opposite.

Down the lines is reasonable, but this baseball/football field is

about 2 miles to deep center & 2&1/2 to 3 miles in the gaps.

I've seen a few actually go out in some of the deepest parts of the

park, but you'll see a lot more exciting triples if the ball makes the gap.

It's a long lonely run for an outfielder if he gets burnt !!!

i was just goig to post about marshalls field and then i saw your post. yea marshalls field is huge in the gaps. you would think that as many state titles as they have won they would get a nice field but maybe they like it like that i dont know. and lewis county has a big field as well i think its around 330 or 340 down the lines and like 380 or so in center and the wind never blows outta there.

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 26 2007 - 11:21 PM) 826446475[/snapback]If you have been around Tennessee High School baseball as long as I have, and been to most of the fields around the state, you will start to see a pattern.

As you go from East to West the fields will start to get bigger and bigger.

I have pondered this with several coaching buddies of mine and the concesus seems to be that the bigger-stouter young men come from the mountains and the quicker, faster kids come from the western half of the state. So the fields in the east are shorter for the long ball and the fields in the west are bigger for the speed game.

Sort of Earl Weaver's 3-run homer offense versus Whitey Herzog's single-steal-and-doubles in the gap offense

The reason has nothing to do with the size of players or philosophy. The reason the is geography. It is hard to find a large area of flat land in the East, especially NE Tennessee. Most of the flat land in this region is in flood plains around rivers. So sometimes, like at Cloudland, you take what you can get. To get a regulation field there you would have to move a mountain.

QUOTE(DCHS @ May 1 2007 - 08:24 AM) 826448902[/snapback]The reason has nothing to do with the size of players or philosophy. The reason the is geography. It is hard to find a large area of flat land in the East, especially NE Tennessee. Most of the flat land in this region is in flood plains around rivers. So sometimes, like at Cloudland, you take what you can get. To get a regulation field there you would have to move a mountain.

I'll agree with that. Farragut has Kingston Pike in the way. I'd say it's pretty hard to move the KP. I know someone else will just say "well why didn't they build it somewhere else", my answer to that is come to Farragut and tell us where to build a new one. I think size matters but it really isn't that big of a deal. If your team can hit they will hit anywhere. If they can't it will show even at the small parks.

If you play at Antioch High School. You get to see a few things that are rare in this state. One is the all grass field with only cut outs around the bases. The other is a 275 ft. left field fense with a 15 ft. monster in it. Then you go to almost 375 ft in center then to around 315 or 320 in right. The outfield is very bumpy and a gap shot may get over the 4 ft fense. Just warn your left fielder to watch for the corner it comes pretty quck and you might meet Flower's Corner.