Farragut Football

rigger101,

"Some great schools never have one Team State Championship and some schools like Ooltewah, Cookeville etc have limited State Championships and they are in the womens sports.

So the Farragut faithful are spoiled and don't realize what a unique school they have. I tried to make my son understand that when he was a Soph at Farragut.

During his time at Farragut he ran on a CC team that placed 1st and 2nd, wrestled on a team that had 10 or more medalist in his 4 years on the team with 5 being in the finals and 3 being champs. This team was 4 X reion champs. Played on the Soccer team that ended up being National Champions when he was a Fr and Soph.

Few Schools in TN offfer an opportunity for HS kids to excel in so many sports. I know the size does make a differance, however it does have it's downfalls.

Good Luck to the Admirals this year in football. Their are some good oung men out there with big hearts to go with those big bods."

Well said.

ihavenofriendzz,

Money does play a huge role in sports. Ask all the coaches that have to take kids home after practice because both parents are having to work or have no car. Ask those coaches that have to raise money to help kids pay for insurance, and the many other regular items most of us take for granted. I know money should not have a role, but in most cases it does.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andre looked very good @ the UT SR. Camp this past Sat. I just happened to see him run his 40's but since they don't broadcast the times, I have no idea what he ran. He did look very smooth. I saw him working at both RB and DB in the afternoon 7 on 7 session. He is certainly quick, fast, and athletic enough to play the corner. He obviously has no experience there, and it showed in the 1 on 1 session. The flip side of that was that IMO, he was the best RB out of the backfield there. Had some LB/DB types looking like statues with some of his head and hip fakes. He, like Rogan is an SEC back, and I just hope they both get a shot @ it.

Nofriendzz, again didn't mean comments as a personal thing but you need to double check your soccer info. West did beat Farragut last season but nevertheless I don't even like soccer. Farragut has a good program in football and I have the upmost respect for Coach Courtney and didn't say Farragut doesn't have to work for things. I said they don't have to work for things as hard as West!! You are smoking something not so good for you if you think there isn't a big difference b/t the two though. I know their kids work hard and they deserve all they get, it's just not fair to compare the two over time b/c of those differences was my point. The enrollment difference is a huge thing...how can't a school with that many kids not have huge advantages over the others. The numbers game is half the battle with athletics and any reasonable person can see that. I just can't wait till Farragut has numbers closer to those schools they play the most. Heck, even Oak Ridge doesn't campare w/ Farragut in the numbers game. West certainly hasn't been able to. In my HUMBLE opinion Farragut will hurt badly in 3 or 4 years. What's the major differences b/t Farragut and Karns and Lenoir City. Money maybe, enrollment maybe, I don't know but can't wait to find out.

Nofriendzz, again didn't mean comments as a personal thing but you need to double check your soccer info. West did beat Farragut last season but nevertheless I don't even like soccer.

What was the score, where was it played, and when was it?

I said there was never an arguement with me between what you are saying about the differences between the schools, other than now maybe money. I am still curious LEONARD, what counts as recent?

I still think Farragut will win this game. Let me guess Amos, you will say. "If they don't win they should be fired, because they have more students."

The number of students Farragut has should help them in sports, but honestly it doesn't..at all. Most of the people that go to Farragut focus on Academics and Academics only. They care nothing about sports. Some people move to Farragut specifically because the school is great, academic wise, and they want their kids to get a great education.

I count recent as last 2 or 3 years.

Speaking about how many kids want to focus on education instead of playing ball, can you tell me how many kids tried out for the basketball teams, soccer teams, baseball teams, or were on the track team, or football team? In football most schools count every kid even freshmen. How many kids that did not make the baseball team would start for most teams? How many kids that did not make the basketball or soccer teams, would start for other schools? There are lots of schools that good athletes choose not to play football, but if the coach was a good recruiter in his schools they would play. I like Coach Courtney, but suppose a different personality coach was in charge would more kids play? Take Bruce Pearl for instance, Tyler Smith chose to go somewhere else, but once he saw what kind of motivator and coach Pearl was chose to come back home. I am not taking anything away from Coach Courtney because I really like him a lot. He is a great man and a good coach. I'm just using this to explain the numbers debate. I really do thing that Farragut is a great school and has great athletics.

ihavenofriendzz

Do you think the assistant coaching changes that happen so often are probably an issue with kids not playing as well?

I can remember several years ago during a summer passing league game the Admirals only had two coaches there. This was at Farragut and was really just a practice time between two teams. I believe at the time there were only 4 coaches for football, and it was the end of July. Courtney had hoped to hire two more coaches. I think they ended up having 2 non faculty coaches join two weeks prior to the season.

It is hard to say why most kids don't play. Some might rahter focus on another sport or academics, or they just don't want to practice all year long. Some don't think they will get to play, whether it be they think its political or they just don't think they are good enough. It could also be that kids that are about to be in high school go to games and see that Farragut is 1 dimensional. If I was a WR and saw that the H.S. I would be going to ran the ball 4 out of 5 times on 3 and long, then I would probably not even bother trying out. Granted when Farragut does pass, it usually works very well, but to know that you will probably never catch a pass can really make people just not want to bother. Kid could also see that when Farragut gets to the playoffs they choke or something and lose big. I guess they could think why play and get to the playoffs when we will only get killed by 30+. I know there are many students at Farragut that wont bother attending playoff games for that reason alone. They think it is completely worthless to drive to where ever to watch us get killed. If you can't even get the students to go to the game(s) one night a week thgen you probably aren't going to get many kids to want to practice every day for months to participate in the slaughtering. I also think the town could help support the sport better. I mean they don't really attend any other sports either, but it's football. There is no reason that Farragut's home games shouldn't be completely packed. Even some of their away games there should be more people from Farragut show up that aren't either a players parent or a band parent. I guess they could not go to the games for the same reasons that some kids won't play.

I think the coaches at Farragut are decent, but with the talent that Farragut probably has they should go deep into the playoffs on a regular basis.

With Farragut implementing more passing this year, maybe they have realized they need to be more of a balanced team. I saw where they had some success at UT and will go to UCLA. If they have even the smallest of success there they will be a much better football team offensively this year. How many coaches on staff do they have teaching in the building? With the coaching turnover the past several years stability would also help.

No Friendzz, I am man enough to say say when I was wrong. West and Farragut tied 2-2 in soccer on March 27th w/ matching records of 10-2-1 at that time. I can't believe I spent 10 minutes looking that up on prepxtra date by date. Nothing against soccer folks but I just waisted 10 minutes of my life thinking about it. Nevertheless NoFriendzz I sort of stand corrected but I bet you would not have even believed they tied if that was my original post. By the way, even if your ideals about kids coming to Farragut for educational purposes are true, do you really believe the numbers work out. I've been in Knoxville most of my life and can't believe you don't give more credit to the numbers factor. I've been around lots of Farragut folks and events and am just going to have to agree to disagree b/c I've also been around many other schools and it makes a huge difference. Farragut baseballers generally don't play any other sports...agree? Well if that was the case at "most" other schools then by sheer numbers the other programs would really be hurt. I don't think Farragut basketball, track, soccer, tennis, crosscountry, etc. have been hurt greatly by the baseball thing. At West if you took the baseballers away from other endeavers or vise versa programs would really be bad. Football alone has Jake Ryan, Will Coley, Robby Hopkins, Jack Hutcheson plus I think 5 more down through JV in baseball. Well sure Farragut baseball is going to be better with those guys only playing 1 sport. 2 seasons ago in basketball all five starters at West played football also. Steven Pearl, Sean Sanders, Ryan McGrew, etc. It matters when you can have kids "basically" focusing on only 1 sport. The numbers matter, but again respectfully agree to disagree.

No Friendzz, I am man enough to say say when I was wrong. West and Farragut tied 2-2 in soccer on March 27th w/ matching records of 10-2-1 at that time. I can't believe I spent 10 minutes looking that up on prepxtra date by date. Nothing against soccer folks but I just waisted 10 minutes of my life thinking about it. Nevertheless NoFriendzz I sort of stand corrected but I bet you would not have even believed they tied if that was my original post. By the way, even if your ideals about kids coming to Farragut for educational purposes are true, do you really believe the numbers work out. I've been in Knoxville most of my life and can't believe you don't give more credit to the numbers factor. I've been around lots of Farragut folks and events and am just going to have to agree to disagree b/c I've also been around many other schools and it makes a huge difference. Farragut baseballers generally don't play any other sports...agree? Well if that was the case at "most" other schools then by sheer numbers the other programs would really be hurt. I don't think Farragut basketball, track, soccer, tennis, crosscountry, etc. have been hurt greatly by the baseball thing. At West if you took the baseballers away from other endeavers or vise versa programs would really be bad. Football alone has Jake Ryan, Will Coley, Robby Hopkins, Jack Hutcheson plus I think 5 more down through JV in baseball. Well sure Farragut baseball is going to be better with those guys only playing 1 sport. 2 seasons ago in basketball all five starters at West played football also. Steven Pearl, Sean Sanders, Ryan McGrew, etc. It matters when you can have kids "basically" focusing on only 1 sport. The numbers matter, but again respectfully agree to disagree.

I actually knew that Farragut and west tied last year. I was 100% positive that West did not win, you could have just looked on coacht, gone to schedules, then soccer, then West, then go to the 06 season, instead of going to prepxta, who I think isn't a good high school sports resource, unless you want stats for regular season only and for just basketball and football. I actually don't think that Farragut has lost to West in soccer. I am man enough to admit when I am wrong as well, but you are yet to prove me wrong on anything. I never said that the numbers don't play a role in athletics at all. They do, but not as much as people think sometimes. I mean it helps to have alot of kids to choose from, but it doesn't always mean they are all athletic enough to play sports. I am sure some kids at smaller schools that do play multiple sports could start at alot of larger schools, some might, but not all. Numbers play a role, but you act like just because they are one of the largest schools means they should automatically compete for championships in everything and that just isn't the way it is. If the people at West that are starting in multiple sports are good enough then why shouldn't they play both. Some people at Farragut might not be good enough to play 2 sports, or they realize they actually have a future in one of the sports so they choose to play 1.