Time for a change

therock

QUOTE(Solomon @ Jun 1 2007 - 10:22 AM) 826470012[/snapback]Probably not. Most of my encounters with administrations, coaches, and people whose kids go to privates have led me to believe that they will just adapt to the changes, embrace the challenge, and focus on getting better.

Schools will, fans won't.

That is one of the major advantages of private schools. They can focus on getting better players.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(larry @ Jun 1 2007 - 10:05 AM) 826470003[/snapback]After you complete the first six steps the whining will begin, believe me.

Creating D2 wasn't enough. The multiplier rule wasn't enough.

And as usual, you weren't able to find a single example to support your statment about private schools whining. So, you just ignored my request.

QUOTE(Bighurt @ Jun 1 2007 - 11:12 AM) 826470050[/snapback]And as usual, you weren't able to find a single example to support your statment about private schools whining. So, you just ignored my request.

The "now" in #7 is after the other six steps are taken. There is no reason to whine NOW. They keep the kids they want, send the rest back to public schools at the first sign of trouble, have church members with kids in Pop Warner or T-ball commenting to others parents about what a wonderful athlete their child is and, by the way, our child is attending and wouldn't it be great if all of our kids attended the same school. And, you don't even have to move! Plus, it will keep your child from attending that god-forsaken public school where kids sell drugs in the hallways and most of he kids are on free lunch and speak Spanish. (The last sentence is sarcasm. Please don't take it literally, too.)

Okay let's be honest...all of us...your right Larry...sometimes a private school parent will have that discussion...but it isn't just privates...so do publics...JCS had a star basketball player in middle school who was talked into attending Northside where she excelled...a few years ago we had a baseball player who was a star from 8th grade until his junior year who was talked into transfering to Memphis to play for Germantown...along with 7 other transfers who went to win a gold ball by all getting together...they didn't oddly enough while the JCS team he left finished second in the state...but my point is that type of casual recruiting takes place both ways...sure you can say you have to play where your zoned...but his parents rented an apartment in Memphis to get in the Germantown zone which they never lived in...if someone wants to beat the system they can regardless of being affiliated with a private or a public school...I have stated early in this thread that privates have some advantages over small rural publics...but beating the system happens both ways

QUOTE(JaxMan @ Jun 1 2007 - 12:41 PM) 826470083[/snapback]Okay let's be honest...all of us...your right Larry...sometimes a private school parent will have that discussion...but it isn't just privates...so do publics...JCS had a star basketball player in middle school who was talked into attending Northside where she excelled...a few years ago we had a baseball player who was a star from 8th grade until his junior year who was talked into transfering to Memphis to play for Germantown...along with 7 other transfers who went to win a gold ball by all getting together...they didn't oddly enough while the JCS team he left finished second in the state...but my point is that type of casual recruiting takes place both ways...sure you can say you have to play where your zoned...but his parents rented an apartment in Memphis to get in the Germantown zone which they never lived in...if someone wants to beat the system they can regardless of being affiliated with a private or a public school...I have stated early in this thread that privates have some advantages over small rural publics...but beating the system happens both ways

You know that in the long run it is very beneficial to JCS to be in an urban setting. You will lose some athletes to the big urban schools but ALL of the remaining students you have come from the urban districts, too, which has a pool of students in the 10s of thousands over a four-year cycle. Now, the public school opponents you face to do have that. Yes, they get ALL of the students in their communities but, if they are 1A schools, that is a handful compared to the selection JCS has in Jackson.

I am not concerned with the 4A and 5A schools (or 3A in spring sports). They can take care of themselves. However, a 1A or 2A school in a heavily-populated area is a big concern whne competing with rural schools.

as I said in an earlier post in this thread privates have some advantages...I am not arguing that...just making a comment that all schools encourage students to attend their school and if any school...Private or public wants to circumvent the system they can...yes JCS benefits from the town we are in...it has alot of students who can elect to attend JCS...it is very sports minded and supportive...but that said...it doesn't change the fact that all schools can beat the system...privates don't have a corner on the market

QUOTE(JaxMan @ Jun 1 2007 - 01:21 PM) 826470096[/snapback]as I said in an earlier post in this thread privates have some advantages...I am not arguing that...just making a comment that all schools encourage students to attend their school and if any school...Private or public wants to circumvent the system they can...yes JCS benefits from the town we are in...it has alot of students who can elect to attend JCS...it is very sports minded and supportive...but that said...it doesn't change the fact that all schools can beat the system...privates don't have a corner on the market

But the point I am having trouble communicating is that in rural areas where most 1A and 2A public schools are there is NO other choice. You have approx 90 students in each grade at JCS from a pool of thousands and YOU get to set the criteria that those students have to meet in order to attend. At a rural school, they have 90 kids, also- the ONLY 90 kids in that age group in the entire town. There is no other option.

QUOTE(JaxMan @ May 26 2007 - 08:36 PM) 826467765[/snapback]Let me start by saying I am a private supporter...I will acknowledge there are some advantages privates have...I would also submit that all schools have advantages and disadvantages...size, economic ability to support team and booster club, parent support, public schools that have no tutiton to pay...but I will never deny that there are advantages to private schools...What I resent is when someone accuses all privates of recruiting or giving aid to atheletes...I can only speak for JCS...but being a board member I know who does and who doesn't get aid...no athelete gets any aid of any kind...not free tuition...not work study...not employed parents...etc...do others...I have no idea...but I know we don't...so throwing a blanket over it as if all do causes me to want to argue...but that said...I am in favor of any plan that is fair to ALL...if public school supporters would petition TSSAA to put non-aid giving privates in a seperate class than aid giving...I am in favor...as I have said many times on this board the differences in a small private school like JCS and one like Baylor or Brentwood Academy are as different as JCS and Colinwood...if we want to create a fair system lets not just look at what helps our school but what is fair to all...I am not opposed to staying where we are...but it is apparent that alot of public school supporters would like to see a change...I can support that provided the change isn't to just fix one problem by creating another...many will say that the private school non aid giving class would be too small...but if you are not playing in it why would you care...I would rather be there than playing schools who can legally give aid to kids from any where...would some in non-aid class cheat the system...probably...but not the mass as most in this class couldn't afford it any more than JCS can...as to open school zones...either put them in the public class or in the non-aid giving class...whatever makes more sense...I can only speak for me, but I do not want to be unfair to small rural publics...but also do not want to be in an unfair place with aid giving privates which are different than us...privates supporters are often quick to resist change...mostly I think due to two things...one we don't want to play Baylor who is so unlike us...and we hear blanket statements about recruiting and aid when it is untrue and no facts are ever given to back it up...let's find common ground...let's agree aid giving schools are so different they should only play each other...private non-aid schools have some built in advantages...not because we cheat but just due to the system...and small publics and non-aid privates should each have their own class...is 3 groups too many...maybe...but is it any worse than where we are...I think some privates do work harder than some small publics...I had a relative who played for a small public on our schedule and I know we had a summer workout program and they didn't...but that isn't the whole answer...some publics probably outwork JCS...there is more too it...again nothing underhanded...there are great christian familys and kids in public schools...they work hard...but I think sometimes (note I said sometimes, maybe not your school) parents who pay tution demand more...have more resources...privates sometimes have fewer problem kids to deal with...all that said...remember I said sometimes...there are great quality kids in publics...don't hear me say there isn't...but we are different...not better...just different...and some of those differences give us an advantage...so move us to a non-aid private classifaication...I am okay with that...

Larry...this is from earlier in this thread...as you can see I agree Privates have an advantage...we do have an entire city to chose from...small rural publics do have to take the kids who show up...I agree...my point is not to argue that...but to say that lets all admit that all schools want to get kids in them...and if a school is so inclined they can bend the rules...public or private...again I agree with everything you have said...but that is not to change the fact that any school...public or private can break the rules if they chose...it is not always privates...sure we have adantages...we do...but we don't have the corner on the market of bending rules...that happens at all types of schools who have administrations who are willing to cheat...and unfortunately cheaters come in both private and public uniforms

QUOTE(larry @ Jun 1 2007 - 01:53 PM) 826470108[/snapback]But the point I am having trouble communicating is that in rural areas where most 1A and 2A public schools are there is NO other choice. You have approx 90 students in each grade at JCS from a pool of thousands and YOU get to set the criteria that those students have to meet in order to attend. At a rural school, they have 90 kids, also- the ONLY 90 kids in that age group in the entire town. There is no other option.

So it is your opinion that JCS or any other private school chose its pre kindergarteners based on their athletic ability? I'm pretty sure most of the high school students have been there since then....yeah sure they have a few transfers in but the majority have been there 10 or more years.

I believe the "advantedge" that concerns everyone is the dedication these students have on their own to their chosen sport. They are willing to sacrifice in order to achieve, this is on their own no one makes them.

QUOTE(larry @ May 31 2007 - 09:00 PM) 826469892[/snapback]Actually, it was by design. Anybody out there reading who doesn't now see the arrogance and the real feelings of the private school supporters? Thanks, FCS, for being so predictable.

Arogance?? I see no Arogance, my statement was backed up by fact not oppinion. As far as my real feelings on the public private debate i have said it many times. If someone can think of something that private schools could do and still be allowed to play in DI then i would be all for that. But i feel like it is unfair for anyone to say "you have to play in DII" just because of the type of school they are.

I use the current DII as an example, the TSSAA gave them an alternative. Stop offering academic scholarships and you can play in DI. By doing that, it makes the choice to go to DII or stay in DI the choice of the school. But if they just say "just because you are a private school you must play in DI" i don't see how anyone can logically think that is fair. What next?? have seperate leagues for schools near big city's and schools in the middle of nowhere?