Riverdale vs Maryville

UCSportsFan

My money would be on Class 5A Riverdale to win by 3. However Maryville is more than just a 4A school in the state of Tn, they are on the national radar as well. Both are rich in tradition and both have athletes all over the field. I for one would pay to see this matchup. What are everyones thoughts and arguements as to who would win and why?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My money would be on Class 5A Riverdale to win by 3. However Maryville is more than just a 4A school in the state of Tn, they are on the national radar as well. Both are rich in tradition and both have athletes all over the field. I for one would pay to see this matchup. What are everyones thoughts and arguements as to who would win and why?

If this game was a few years ago when the talent at Riverdale was more prevalent, I would say Riverdale. But they do not have the stable of athletes that they used to have, dont get me wrong they will compete for a state title every year, but those who have lived in the boro long enough can tell the difference bewteen Riverdale of 5-7 years ago and Riverdale now. That and the fact that quarles is the best coach in the state period.

Riverdale every year. Why? Because the difference between 4A and 5A is almost like the difference between middle school ball and high school ball (in my opinion). Plus, Riverdale tried to play Maryville in their 2004 season but Maryville didn't want to play. Both teams each had an open week and money was not an issue. Maryville just didn't want to play a 5A team, much less a 5A powerhouse. I do wish Riverdale would change their offence though. I hate the wing-t in high school ball. Back to the point. Maryville will have to move up to 5A in 2009. They're supposed to be in the region with Oak Ridge, Doybns Bennet, and Ootewa(or however you spell it). Very tough region. Then if they manage to beat those teams they'll have to play Riverdale in the semi-finals, or maybe Smyrna, but doughtful. I say Maryville will still have success in 5A, but not "consecutive champions" success, or even "consecutive region champs" some years. P.S. Between 2000 and 2005(the last of the Rankin years) Riverdale would have not just beaten Maryville, they would have massacured them. Too many athaletes, too good of a coaching staff.

The only year since 2000 that I think Riverdale would have been the favorite would have been 2004 (and then only slightly). I think Maryville would win more times than not IMHO. I certainly think they would win now that Riverdale has gone to the Wing-T. Coach Gaylor and company usually come up with a great gameplan for that offense.

As you can tell transplant I will not be able to agree with you judging on my post before, but I do have a question for anybody that can answer this. When was the last time that Mayville played out of classification to a bigger school?

That is OK we can agree to disagree. I am in no way a Maryville fan but I do have a very healthy respect for them. BTW, they play Heritage and William Blount every year, both of which are 5A schools.

As you can tell transplant I will not be able to agree with you judging on my post before, but I do have a question for anybody that can answer this. When was the last time that Mayville played out of classification to a bigger school?

Every year COA......Heritage and William Blount. Your posts on this subject is hilarious. I know.....years of Maryville beating all those D-oners can of burns the butt after awhile.

So 4A is "middle school" compared to 5A in Tennessee? COA you are hilarious. Obviously a Maryville hater. Do you not think the times we have played Melrose, Hillsboro, Memphis East etc they did not have "too many athletes"? I have been in Murfreesboro plenty of times when either of the 4A teams could easily play with and very possibly beat either of the 5A schools. From what I have heard Rankin had his pick of every player in Rutherford county to choose from but some say that is not the case anymore which may have something to do with why he left? Ever think about that?? You are like every other Maryville hater, pick an imaginary game and they would just get killed. Riverdale called and Maryville would not play? Where are the facts? And don't give us somebody said. Back it up. Being a hater is making you look pretty ignorant of HS football in Tenn in general.

Plus, Riverdale tried to play Maryville in their 2004 season but Maryville didn't want to play. Both teams each had an open week and money was not an issue. Maryville just didn't want to play a 5A team, much less a 5A powerhouse.

On second thought COA don't even bother, the above is a flat out lie. Maryville was still in the yearly games with Morristown West in 2004. It has been years since Maryville has had an "open date" or been looking for a game, unless you are talking playing an 11 game season. Other than M West, Alcoa, Heritage and WB all were Region games. We had a team added to our region in 05 and had to drop M West at that time. Let me guess you indirectly heard this from Hot Shot Rankin right?

mhs and mlreb.... SHUT YOUR STUPID SELVES UP!!!!!! DO YOU THINK I WOULD LIE ABOUT WHAT I SAID ABOUT RIVERDALE PLAYING MARYVILLE?!? HERE ARE MY FACTS ON THIS. I HEARD WHAT I SAID FROM MR. NOLAN AT RIVERDALE AND A COUPLE OF STAFF MEMBERS WERE TALKING ABOUT IT. THOSE ARE MY FACTS. WHERE DID I HEAR THAT? AT THE SHONEY'S RIGHT ACROSS FROM WHAT YOUSE TO BE THE PONDEROSA. THEY HAD A RADIO SHOW WITH EVERY COACH IN THE COUNTY REPRESENTING THERE SCHOOLS ABOUT THE LAST NIGHTS GAME. TALK WAS EVERYWHERE ABOUT HOW MARYVILLE CHICKENED OUT...AND THEY DID! I GUESS I KNOW WHY THOUGH. WHY PLAY THE POWERHOUSE WHEN YOU CAN PLAY THE RAG DOLLS? IN THE SPRING OF 2004 RIVERDALE SCRIMMIGED M WEST. THEY BEAT THEM 91-14 AT TENNESSEE TECH STADIUM. DON'T BELIEVE ME? FINE, ASK THE STAFF, OH YEA THATS RIGHT. THEY ALL LEFT. EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM EXCEPT COACH FIELDS WHO MAINLY DOES TRACK! WHY? BECAUSE RIVERDALE HAS TURNED INTO A BAD SCHOOL. THUGS EVERYWHERE. NOT A PLACE TO RAISE HIS THREE CHILDREN THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL. IF YOU ALSO BELIEVE THAT RANKIN HAD A HAND PICK OF ANY KID IN THE COUNTY, I BET YOU YOU HERD IT FROM OLD CHEATIN LOW DOWN MOOSE OVER AT OAKLAND. GO ASK THE CHEERLEADING COACH AT RIVERDALE IF SHE HAS AN EXTRA 2004 OAKLAND VS RIVERDALE FOOTBALL SHIRT. I'M SURE SHE'D BE GLAD TO SHOW YOU IT. SECOND, I'M NOT CALLING 4A MIDDLE SCHOOL IF YOU WERE SMART ENOUGH TO ACTUASLLY READ IT INSEAD OF SKIM IT. WHAT I MEANT WAS THAT THE TALENT,COACHING,ATMOSPHERE,INTENSITY,RIVALRY,SPEED,POWER,NUMBERS,STRENGHTH,STREN

TH OF SCHEDULE,ETC. IN 4A IS 10 TIMES BIGGER IN 5A LIKE IS THE TRANSFER FROM PLAYING MIDDLE SCHOOL BALL TO PLAYING HIGH SCHOOL BALL. AND YES MARYVILLE DOES PLAY HERITAGE AND WILLIAM BLOUT EVERY YEAR BUT THE ONLY THING 5A ABOUT THEM IS THEIR SCHOOL SIZE. NOT THEIR TALENT IN SPORTS AND IMPORTANCE OF ATHALETICS AS IS OF FORMER RIVERDALE. I AM IN NO WAY A MARYVILLE HATER BUT I DO DISLIKE THEM. HEY MHS. I HEARD QUARLES HAD A PRETTY GOOD SELECTION TO PICK FROM FROM BLOUT COUNTY TOO THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS. I GUESS THAT'S WHY MARYVILLE'S BIG SHOTS WERE NOT ORIGINALY ZONED TO GO THERE HUH?To JC4life: the answer is .... not until both teams play.