Riverdale vs Maryville

UCSportsFan

Before Heritage was built in 1977 you had these schools.

Everett Bulldogs. They were a 3A team. Maryville played them every year.

Walland Indians. They were a 1A powerhouse. Won State Title in 1975.

Porter Panthers. They were pretty good in 1A.

Townsend Tigers. They were an average 1A team.

Before William Blount was built in 1979 you had these schools.

Lanier. I can't remember their name. They were an alright team in 1A.

Friendsville Falcons. They had some pretty good teams in 1A.

Maryville did play some of those smaller schools back in the 50s and 60s. In the 70s Maryville started playing schools like Loudon,Kingston and Harriman every year. Those 3 teams were real good back in the 70s.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville did play some of those smaller schools back in the 50s and 60s. In the 70s Maryville started playing schools like Loudon,Kingston and Harriman every year. Those 3 teams were real good back in the 70s.

So basically, of schools of similar size, Maryville has been playing the local schools since Maryville has been playing football? And I would bet there would be a near county riot of both sides if they ever stopped doing so? In other words, there is a lot of tradition in the match-ups?

The Maryville game is by far Alcoa,William Blount and Heritage biggest gate when they host Maryville.Those schools would rather beat Maryville than any other school on the planet.

I will tell you a funny story. Heritage played William Blount for the county championship in 1999 at Heritage. It was played on a Thursday so I went to the game. When I got there the first thing I noticed were the T Shirts. On the front of the Tshirts it read, Heritage vs William Blount,Blount County Championship. It told the place and date the game was on. That was on the front of the Tshirt. On the back of the Tshirt is where it was really funny. On the back of the Tshirt it read. NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME IS WE BOTH BEAT MARYVILLE. Here was William Blount and Heritage playing for the Blount County Championship and they had Maryville on their mind.

When William Blount and Heritage play each other there is a huge crowd. When Alcoa hosted WB and Heritage the crowds weren't that big. Alcoa used to get really packed when they hosted Austin East back in the day.The Alcoa fans showed up in droves for the Fulton game.

The Maryville game is by far Alcoa,William Blount and Heritage biggest gate when they host Maryville.Those schools would rather beat Maryville than any other school on the planet.

I will tell you a funny story. Heritage played William Blount for the county championship in 1999 at Heritage. It was played on a Thursday so I went to the game. When I got there the first thing I noticed were the T Shirts. On the front of the Tshirts it read, Heritage vs William Blount,Blount County Championship. It told the place and date the game was on. That was on the front of the Tshirt. On the back of the Tshirt is where it was really funny. On the back of the Tshirt it read. NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME IS WE BOTH BEAT MARYVILLE. Here was William Blount and Heritage playing for the Blount County Championship and they had Maryville on their mind.

When William Blount and Heritage play each other there is a huge crowd. When Alcoa hosted WB and Heritage the crowds weren't that big. Alcoa used to get really packed when they hosted Austin East back in the day.The Alcoa fans showed up in droves for the Fulton game.

That's pretty good stuff.

I am interested to see who Maryville will pick up in 09 out of region other than Alcoa. Assuming all things stay the same, I guess Farragut would go to 1-5A (if they don't drop to 4A because of Hardin Valley) to make two 8 team regions. Alcoa...then who?

Porter stayed open until the 1979 school year, when WB opened. I think they played Heritage in basketball and beat them some during that span. When WB opened Porter, Friendsville and Lanier closed. The Porter kids then went to Heritage and the Friendsville and Lanier kids went to WB. The Heritage students that lived in the Fairview area were then allowed to go to WB if they wanted. One of Friendsville's best teams was their last one. Notable victories were over Webb, Catholic, Seymour and G-P. Only two regular season losses were to Alcoa (A State Champs) and Porter. 8-2 regular season, lost to AA Madisonville in bowl game by 6.

Porter's stadium was really neat back then with the bleachers built into the hillside, Townsend kinda looked like UT with a T on the helmet. Blount county "Single-A" football was a lot of fun with Greenback (about 2 miles from the county line) thrown in there too.

Porter stayed open until the 1979 school year, when WB opened. I think they played Heritage in basketball and beat them some during that span. When WB opened Porter, Friendsville and Lanier closed. The Porter kids then went to Heritage and the Friendsville and Lanier kids went to WB. The Heritage students that lived in the Fairview area were then allowed to go to WB if they wanted. One of Friendsville's best teams was their last one. Notable victories were over Webb, Catholic, Seymour and G-P. Only two regular season losses were to Alcoa (A State Champs) and Porter. 8-2 regular season, lost to AA Madisonville in bowl game by 6.

Porter's stadium was really neat back then with the bleachers built into the hillside, Townsend kinda looked like UT with a T on the helmet. Blount county "Single-A" football was a lot of fun with Greenback (about 2 miles from the county line) thrown in there too.

Red,

Thanks for the memories. The 78 Friendsville team was the best football team I ever got to play on. Of course, I broke my hand the week after the Alcoa game and then broke my leg on Halloween night that year, so I had to watch the end of the year from the sideline. The game we should not have lost was the Porter game. Alcoa drilled us and they were just better, but we choked against Porter!!!

For whatever reason, we got a "few" Porter kids at WB when we opened. Maybe some of them ended up zoned for WB or in the "choose" whichever one you want zone?

Soloman and Leonards Losers

I have an even funnier story. In 1999 a woman I used to work with and me made a friendly little bet. We bet on the Heritage/Maryville game in 1999. The bet was if Maryville won she had to wear a Maryville shirt to work one day. She was a Heritage fan. If Heritage won I had to wear a Heritage shirt. Heritage won so I went to work that next Thursday and wore the Heritage shirt. There were 300 people that worked there and I bet 95% of them went to my work station to see me in that Heritage shirt. Tragedy struck in July of 2001 and that woman died of cancer. I miss her to this day.