Volunteer Falcons

GC_Quincy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah don't confuse them with facts THS. On a more serious note, the Barlow kid at Volunteer seems to be a heckuva running back. I hope he has a great season. I enjoyed watching him. How are the Vikes looking THS?

They have some work to do on offense. Defense appears to be coming along. They scrimmaged Powell Valley tonight, but I don't know how well it went.

Ah don't confuse them with facts THS. On a more serious note, the Barlow kid at Volunteer seems to be a heckuva running back. I hope he has a great season. I enjoyed watching him. How are the Vikes looking THS?

I've heard that Tennessee won either 21-17 or 28-17. Maybe Cap knows.

Barlow looked like a good back when I saw him last year.

The offical score was Volunteer-5 TD's Gate City-4 TD's..thats with reserves..without reserves it was VHS-4 GCHS-3

in my opinion it could've been a lot worse for gate city, Volunteer came out FLAT and gate city jumped up 14-0..only after coach jumped on a few boys did the falcons start really playing and they were unstoppable then. Come on Falcon's GET EXICTED!!! you all can be a great team if you want to be..don't be so quite during warm-ups..get hyped up and ready to knock some heads!!

I'm not sure how you think it could've been "much worse" for Gate City. After the 14-0 lead, we subbed in freshmen with 5 on the field playing defense the next series. Volunteer moved the ball well, and will have a good season, but it was pretty evenly matched throughout. Gate City's first team offense moved the ball very well on Volunteer's D. Keep in mind this is only our second week of practice. Virginia doesn't have spring football practice as Tennessee schools do, so TSSAA schools are much more progressed than we are at this stage. All in all it was a very good scrimmage. Both teams played hard , both showed enthusiasm, and both will be fine once the season starts. The Barlow kid is going to be something to watch for Volunteer.

I'm not sure how you think it could've been "much worse" for Gate City. After the 14-0 lead, we subbed in freshmen with 5 on the field playing defense the next series. Volunteer moved the ball well, and will have a good season, but it was pretty evenly matched throughout. Gate City's first team offense moved the ball very well on Volunteer's D. Keep in mind this is only our second week of practice. Virginia doesn't have spring football practice as Tennessee schools do, so TSSAA schools are much more progressed than we are at this stage. All in all it was a very good scrimmage. Both teams played hard , both showed enthusiasm, and both will be fine once the season starts. The Barlow kid is going to be something to watch for Volunteer.

But your freshmen are old enough to buy alchohol.

Volunteer and Gate City both showed some good things but both still have some work to do. I was impressed by Gate City QBs, both made good cuts running the ball. Also impressed with Volunteers backfield, hard running QB, TB, and FBs. Gate City was a hard hitting team on Defense. There was definitely some hitting going on on both teams. Hard to tell in scrimmages with substitutions on both sides of the ball. TriCitiesSports.com summed it up pretty accurately IMO.

Final score was Volunteer 33 Gate City 28 ( Volunteer flubbed 2 extra points ).

Volunteer and Gate City both showed some good things but both still have some work to do. I was impressed by Gate City QBs, both made good cuts running the ball. Also impressed with Volunteers backfield, hard running QB, TB, and FBs. Gate City was a hard hitting team on Defense. There was definitely some hitting going on on both teams. Hard to tell in scrimmages with substitutions on both sides of the ball. TriCitiesSports.com summed it up pretty accurately IMO.

Final score was Volunteer 33 Gate City 28 ( Volunteer flubbed 2 extra points ).

That was the hardest we've hit in awhile. We didn't have any of that last year. Kern did a very good job for us at QB. Tihlee looked great backing him up. I understand both will play QB, most likely depending on the situations. Our receivers did very well also. Our secondary still concerns me. We're in desperate need of a coach for that area. #33 for us ( freshman and can't recall the name) plays great. He made several tackles in the backfield. There were several times I think we overpursued and Barlow made us pay. Scrimmages are for seeing what you need to work on, and I think both teams saw the areas they need work in. We'll still be in trouble when we go to Richlands to open the season, but then again most teams in VA will be also. I'm looking forward to the season.