Gordonsville-Upperman

Big Country

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't put too much stock in scrimmages.

I agree. Usually the starters get less time playing than the second string gets. Especially the seniors. Its about building depth, and getting some timing down. The later scrimmages may be a bit more intense. Maybe. Then you have to think about keeping players well. Plus the way they are controlled, plays a big part in it. You cant take 3 minutes to get lined up in a game. No kickoffs or punts. No rush on extra point. Red shirt QBs so you dont tackle them. Whistle blown when a pass is caught. Then run the same pass play to see if they can defend it with a second chance. To name a few things, I have seen in scrimmages.

I agree. Usually the starters get less time playing than the second string gets. Especially the seniors. Its about building depth, and getting some timing down. The later scrimmages may be a bit more intense. Maybe. Then you have to think about keeping players well. Plus the way they are controlled, plays a big part in it. You cant take 3 minutes to get lined up in a game. No kickoffs or punts. No rush on extra point. Red shirt QBs so you dont tackle them. Whistle blown when a pass is caught. Then run the same pass play to see if they can defend it with a second chance. To name a few things, I have seen in scrimmages.

I agree with what your saying about controlled scrimmages where most things are more lax with redoing plays and such. But try going against Cookeville and the 140 some odd players they have like Livingston did this past Tuesday and with the temps reaching over 100 degrees and you can find out real quick where your team stands. I actually felt sorry for those young men in the heat but was actually surprised that LA stood up as long as they did under those conditions. A scrimmage like that will either kill you or make you a better team, especially if your numbers are low. I'm not sure but I think LA had around 50 players compared to the 140 or better the Cavs had.

Looking forward to the scrimmage with Gordonsville next week. I have heard that the Tigers are talking Gold Ball so I'm sure they have a good team. I know from years past they have always had a good footballprogram. As for LA they are real big on the line and have some good skill players but they are real young. They may be a year or two away from having a team like the state championship squad had. We will just have to wait and see.

Red shirts on QBs ???? Whistle blown when a pass is caught??? What kind of wimpy scrimmages do y'all have. We scrimmage close to game conditions (except punts and KOs)....leather poppin' and all.