District 11-AA Review/Preview

weaglefan

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Indians have not played up to their potential in several years.

Gonna take issue with part of your statement there Phil.

I will agree that THIS year they have not played (UP?) to their potential, in my opinion, but you'll have to rethink or reword the several years part.

They have continually finished at the top of the district over the last few years, but have been unfortunate that they have had to meet the teams from the west, Bolivar, Liberty Tech, etc.

If there's someone to blame, it falls soley at the feet of the players. They have no continuity. They continue to play lazy defense and selfish offense. I have never seen two above average players play with such inconsistency.

Coach Wilson will get them to perform, IF they have it in them, but I, for one, am beginning to have my doubts, based on what I've seen.

Yes HHSNumber1Fan, Tyler Guye has been on a 5 game suspension and is back in the starting lineup for the War Eagles. Creekwood travels to Sycamore tonight in a huge district matchup between the two top teams arguably. Creekwood has their PG, Jeppsen, back now so this game tonight should be interesting. Sycamore's bench has to step it up. Sycamore by 10 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well with SC losing to MC last friday, SC needs to win out for a chance at number 4 and need to win all but the harpeth to get in the 4-5 game which is what SC really needs. The game against MC was lost by the players alone. The defense wasnt up to par that night, plus MC made everything they threw up. Even players you wouldnt expect to hit was shooting over 75%. It was ridiculus how well MC shot the ball. That game hurt SC badly in the standings but they came away with a win last night against cheatham. The score makes it seem like a close game but SC controled most of the game from the beginning. Cheatham kept it real close early making their first 15pts off 3s, and some of the 3s they made had horrible form and rotation but would some how go in. SC had D.Smith and J.Taylor both in foul trouble and couldnt play as much the 2nd half. D.Smith fouled out halfway throught the 4th on what should have been a flop, considering he was falling down before he got hit. I would also like to point out a great game by Brandon Lee who lit it up from behind the arc. All in all SC can be a scary team in the tourny, but as for now they need to fight to get that 4-5 game and play to their highest potential. Its close to February and thats when it counts most.

I will agree that THIS year they have not played (UP?) to their potential, in my opinion, but you'll have to rethink or reword the several years part.

They have continually finished at the top of the district over the last few years, but have been unfortunate that they have had to meet the teams from the west, Bolivar, Liberty Tech, etc.

If there's someone to blame, it falls soley at the feet of the players. They have no continuity. They continue to play lazy defense and selfish offense. I have never seen two above average players play with such inconsistency.

Coach Wilson will get them to perform, IF they have it in them, but I, for one, am beginning to have my doubts, based on what I've seen.

I agree with Slube. I think other Harpeth teams have finished about where they should finish for the most part. This team has 2 DI prospects and flat out aren't getting it done on the floor. I don't think coaching has anything to do with it personally. Consider that Cheatham, Sycamore, Montgomery Central and Creekwood are all 3A football schools with 200-300 more kids than Harpeth and it makes the basketball and baseball accomplishments in 11AA even more remarkable. An allstar team from 11AA wasn't going to beat Liberty Tech last year. LT was better than the AAA champion imo. The year before that it was Bolivar with Chism and Willie wuzizname. One's at UT, the other's at Memphis. Again, 11AA's allstar team couldn't get past those guys. The year before that it was Tyler Smith at Giles County. What 11AA kids are playing on tv?

I don't think anyone realized how much Scott Newton and Chase Baker would be missed at Harpeth and it's not the points and rebounds. I hope the guys learned a lesson and straighten things out. Coach has given them the tools.

I agree with Slube. I think other Harpeth teams have finished about where they should finish for the most part. This team has 2 DI prospects and flat out aren't getting it done on the floor. I don't think coaching has anything to do with it personally. Consider that Cheatham, Sycamore, Montgomery Central and Creekwood are all 3A football schools with 200-300 more kids than Harpeth and it makes the basketball and baseball accomplishments in 11AA even more remarkable. An allstar team from 11AA wasn't going to beat Liberty Tech last year. LT was better than the AAA champion imo. The year before that it was Bolivar with Chism and Willie wuzizname. One's at UT, the other's at Memphis. Again, 11AA's allstar team couldn't get past those guys. The year before that it was Tyler Smith at Giles County. What 11AA kids are playing on tv?

I don't think anyone realized how much Scott Newton and Chase Baker would be missed at Harpeth and it's not the points and rebounds. I hope the guys learned a lesson and straighten things out. Coach has given them the tools.

Great post!!! Hopefully this will enlighten some people on athletics in general at Harpeth.

He quit and wanted to come back so he did. He is just showing the other guys that if you want to quit you can, but you can come back when you want to. It really is sad, but just shows that the kids are pretty much doing what they want.

This is an absurd statement. Clearly you have no knowledge of, and little insight into the program or coaches at Sycamore.

This is an absurd statement. Clearly you have no knowledge of, and little insight into the program or coaches at Sycamore.

Please enlighten.

The kid was at Cheatham last year. He's at Sycamore this year. Quit? That's the rumor. Now he's back on after a 5 game suspension.

That's all that's been said. Which of those are untrue statements?

Fair enough and can see where you are coming from. I was mainly talking about last year losing to Boliver in a game Harpeth clearly should have won. I do believe we got outcoached in that game, but then again Rudisell out coaches a lot of coaches. This year, at times the team has looked horrendous. When a team continues to play lazy defense, selfish offense and are totally inconsistent; don't you think some of that has to lay with the coaching staff as well. I do agree with yours and the other post that an all star team from 11AA couldn't beat the Bolivers, Libertys, Giles Co. etc. Maybe they'll get it going come tournament time as the other district isn't that strong this year other than Boliver.

I think everyone has to be accountable for what their role is on the team. The coach didn't blow the 18 point lead at Creekwood, nor did he get Harpeth the 18 point lead. I think the coach puts the players in a position to succeed or fail and the outcome depends on the players executing. Oh sure, coaches draw up plays to score in certain situations or defenses to stop an opponent. He doesn't miss wide open shots and throw passes out of bounds and the other things that make an 18 point lead evaporate. Don't forget Creekwood. Their players played a part in the comeback too. They never gave up and kept on plugging away while Harpeth had the deer in the headlights look at the end of the game.

All this being said. It's one game with teenage boys. There's a life lesson in there somewhere, but like most teenage boys, they won't get it for a few years. The other thing about teenage boys is that they're resilient and have a short memory. It shouldn't affect them one way or the other this season.