Temple's response to TSSAA

zonepirate

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are probably attacking this instance harder because it is within Division I. The two divisions are meant to prevent things like this. More reason to go to a complete split.

This I agree with. It would be a problem for the privates primarily. As I see it, the privates that admit to recruiting would gain advantage over the smaller schools with less money. There would always be someone with an advantage. The public schools who attempt to keep their kids at home would continue to loose some, but at least they would know the privates were up front offering more.

Tn. Temple was lucky they didn't get worse punishment.

The only reason Temple can be considered lucky is because they're not hopeful to make the playoffs this year. If a team like SPitt got a 2 year playoff ban it would be considered a horrible punishment, because their sure thing playoff run would be taken from them. Fortunately for Temple TSSAA gave them the punishment that the rules dictate be given, not a punishment that would hit them where it really hurts. The $4300 fine is what's gonna hurt.

Tune in to 89.7 Tuesday at 5:00pm if you want to hear Temple's side of things. The pastor, principal, athletic director, and possibly someone from TSSAA will be discussing the situation. I don't think they're crazy enough to take calls, but I hope they will. (I better warn them to screen all SPitt callers.) /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

This I agree with. It would be a problem for the privates primarily. As I see it, the privates that admit to recruiting would gain advantage over the smaller schools with less money. There would always be someone with an advantage. The public schools who attempt to keep their kids at home would continue to loose some, but at least they would know the privates were up front offering more.

Old Pirate says the public schools hate to loose kids to privates that compete against them. OP says if a kid goes to a private that admits recruiting it is acceptible. It is the privates (mostly church backed) that recruit, then deny recruiting and providing incentitives that gets the public supporters.

2 questions....

1.) I wonder if Temple would ask Hargis to participate in the "open forum?"

2.) If TSSAA really told Temple to let the kids participate (over the phone) would Mr. Carter really not thoroughly go through his employees to see who talked to the Temple contact? Even if this phantom person is no longer affiliated with TSSAA, wouldn't Carter have the information to contact this person and inquire as to why they told Temple to go ahead and let these players practice?

I hate to see another small private school in this situation. I believe that all small privates will share in bad PR because of this, no matter who it happens to. But, what did they expect would happen?