Temple's response to TSSAA

zonepirate

What about the issue with Larson? That was the old adminstration. Did they make a call as well? Sounds like he practiced while a student at SE Whitfield.

It was the old admin as well. As far as I know no call was claimed, just they didn't know better.

Does anyone on this board honestly believe that Dan Wadley, as Temple's athletic director, did not know any better?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never was any good at shuffleboard. I think I probably owe you an apology, because of a rough day at the office. I wanted to debate, and I still think Hargis needs some work, but I can certainly accept differing views. I don't recall attacking SP, except to say I have heard allegations of recruiting. Trust me, I am from a small town and have better sense than to make any comments at the game Friday. Life does go on and I probably know that better than you. I am looking forward to seeing the Pirates add another label to the sign on the edge of town.

Don't worry about it. Come to the game and look me up. Hargis might be there you can just ask him yourself. He is actually a nice guy just trying to make a living as a reporter. Trust me at SP it is tough enough just to keep the kids we have at SP. I can point to a lot more SP kids at other schools because in our county parents can send their kids to any school in the county that they want. I don't personally know of any recruiting that somebody at SP has done but I do know NJ has talked to some of the little league and Jr High kids I have coached over the years. We are just blessed with tons of hometown talent at SP and of course that makes people wonder how we do it. Come down some Saturday and watch our 7-8 yo, 9-10 yo and 11-12 yo teams play then 5-6 years from now you can say I saw that team when they were just kids. That what I say about this team now. Even better come to Bledsoe county (Pikeville) Thursday night, 6:30 central and watch our Jr High team (that is 8-0) play in the Sequatchie Valley Conference Championship game. Our team has scored 298 points and allowed 12 in 8 games

What about the issue with Larson? That was the old adminstration. Did they make a call as well? Sounds like he practiced while a student at SE Whitfield.

The word I got from one of the former head coaches is that while Larson was still attending SE Whitfield in the spring of 06 he registered at Temple for the fall semester and started practicing football. The coaches thought it was okay since he had paid his registration fees, and no call to TSSAA was made. There are mixed stories on the former A.D.'s knowledge of the situation.

I won't be able to listen. How about taking some notes and posting a summary. I would like to hear their side. Surely you don't think they would screen a call from "zonepirate". They should have invited me to be on with them.

Must not be that deep /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I will try to listen and take notes...I really wish they would drop it though. I heard Judge Williams is supposed to be on and they were trying to get "someone" from the paper. LOL.

I doubt there will be any new information. From what I understand they will state:

There was no recruiting.

Coach Chastain was 6 months late on his son's tuition.

Chastain's son snapped the ball and downed it in a couple games after they had been decided.

The punishment is extreme considering the negligible impact Chastain's son had on the games.

All this may be true, but rules are rules.

There are a couple things that I hope don't get said, but I won't mention them here. LOL.

Does anyone on this board honestly believe that Dan Wadley, as Temple's athletic director, did not know any better?

Ignorance of the law does not exclude you from it. Besides that, knowing the rules is part of the coach's and AD's job. If you want to be a coach or AD, and be responsible for young men and women, you should know the rules that govern the sport involved. If you think that ignorance is an excuse, the next time that you get pulled over for speeding, just tell the nice policeman that you didn't know. Or take the ticket to court and tell the judge. Neither one will have to much leniency.

I don't think anyone can come up with anything that he wrote that wasn't the truth. He talked to the Temple people before he wrote each of the articles to get their side. Just because he wouldn't kill or water down the stories and he was asking hard to answer questions he was out to get them. I don't agree with everything he writes but I just don't see him as biased in his reporting

This kill the messenger stuff is fascinating. A couple of years ago, when Boyd was rolling, Hargis was a Bucs Homer, Last year he couldn't write enough about Temple and the whole Skogen family.

And, now after Kevin Skogen calls Ronnie Carter on the phone to lobby for a hardship exclusion so his youngest would be eligible at McCallie after he bailed on the remaining kids at Temple and admits to Carter on the phone that he didn't pay tuition last year and when Carter is then forced to launch the official look into Temple football because of that admission, Hargis is now out to get the Crusaders.

The man gave all sides plenty of opportunity to present their side, which is what good reporters do.

"It's better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Mark Twain

The word I got from one of the former head coaches is that while Larson was still attending SE Whitfield in the spring of 06 he registered at Temple for the fall semester and started practicing football. The coaches thought it was okay since he had paid his registration fees, and no call to TSSAA was made. There are mixed stories on the former A.D.'s knowledge of the situation.

This contact of a potential student athlete not attending your school by any other school in any other situation past or in the future would certainly be seen as a violation of the recruiting rule due to the "influence" that a coach had while coaching this kid "illegally" in practice. I do not see how it was not interpreted that way.

Dan Wadley knew all about Larson, it would have been unbelievable for him not to know when the school only had 100 kids and his office is one block from the football practice field. He knew it was wrong. He either chose to ignore it or he is the one who told the coaches to go ahead and do it.

taydizzle- recruiting has to do with the coaches going out and convincing kids with their undue influence to come to temple. Just because the kid is practicing, doesn't mean he was recruited. I don't understand how you can't see that.

On the flip side, I do agree with you 100% that Larson was a clear violation (assuming he practiced even though he wasn't attending) and it does go back to Wadley. But it is not necessarily recruiting.

Did TSSAA look into the Larson issue and find that there was no violation?

This contact of a potential student athlete not attending your school by any other school in any other situation past or in the future would certainly be seen as a violation of the recruiting rule due to the "influence" that a coach had while coaching this kid "illegally" in practice. I do not see how it was not interpreted that way.

Dan Wadley knew all about Larson, it would have been unbelievable for him not to know when the school only had 100 kids and his office is one block from the football practice field. He knew it was wrong. He either chose to ignore it or he is the one who told the coaches to go ahead and do it.

Dan knew about it. Dan also knew about all the other shady things they were doing, that is why they got busted. He wasn't there to cover it up. If he was there none of this would have been uncovered because he knew how to hide it better than anybody. That is the truth even though I know Temple people will deny it. Yes he is a good Christian man so I am not attacking him, but too many people have seen how things work at Temple to not know he knew it was going on.

Dan knew about it. Dan also knew about all the other shady things they were doing, that is why they got busted. He wasn't there to cover it up. If he was there none of this would have been uncovered because he knew how to hide it better than anybody. That is the truth even though I know Temple people will deny it. Yes he is a good Christian man so I am not attacking him, but too many people have seen how things work at Temple to not know he knew it was going on.

I think Wadley and Skogen both got out because of what they saw going on