2A enrollment versus polls

divepix

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do your research I am sure you will find that most city schools within a county seat have this option. (Anderson Co. comes to mind) You have now turned this into a public/private debate anyway. I am tired of hearing all this whining anyway, Beat Maryville or Alcoa or shut up. It can be done. Just work a little harder, study a little more, have the kids work out on their own with out coaching supervision. THIS is where the difference is. NOT with tuition. You cannot BUY a starting spot on any of these teams any more, William Blount got tired of losing to them all the time and decided to do something about it, now look where they are. Get over yourselves and realize that these other teams are getting OUT WORKED, not out tuitioned. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> I'm glad the playoffs are almost here, I havent been tagging in a while.

Ok, that's 2 counties out of 95. It is the exception rather than the rule. At least in Middle Tennessee it is. I agree that hard work and sacrifice is the way to go. I wouldn't argue public/private on this thread if the 'does the most with less' comment hadn't been made. That's a slap in the face to the rural public schools who don't have the resources or the population to draw from.

Get over your own self. "You cannot buy a starting spot on these teams anymore"? What the heck is that supposed to mean? You could at one time, but now that you have the program where you want it, you don't have to anymore? Come on! Read your own post. How many kids on Blount County teams originated in Knox County? I don't know, I'm just asking a question, but if the answer is 'whoever was willing to pay the tuition', then you need to have a multiplier on you. Anderson County has been thrown in the same boat in baseball. If it's within the rules, then it's fair, but if you think the playing field is level and hard work will fix it for everybody, you're wrong.

I am sorry that there cannot be 15 state champions here, I really am. I personally liked it better when there were only three. It gave it so much more prestiege. Seven is just as ridiculous, but that is the T$$AA way. But this was the year to get Alcoa. If you don't, It will be a long three years to come. Maryville too. WB may be down next year but we all hope they can keep it going as well. Hasn't Heritage won two out of three now???

Loved, Hated, but never ignored!! Why are there so many haters out there? When Alcoa and Maryville weren't winning in the mid 90s no one said anything about Blount Co. football! Now that there are a few gold balls here it's because we are getting all the players from surrounding areas! Let me tell you guys something, for ya info. Most of Alcoa's star players were born and raised in Alcoa..... R. Cobb, Troy Hogde,B Warren, D. Lindsey, Rae Sykes, J. Rainer, M.George, T. Garner, Billy Williams, Shannon Mitchell, Al Davis Sr and Jr., Willie Lundy, Etc.......... All these Players were born and raised in ALCOA!! The only players I can think of that transferred in were k. Lanxter, Sommers, and Shivy. The athletes have always been in blount co., we just werent winning championships.

Where did the other 1/2 come from?

The same place public school kids come from. No school has the same group of kids that all attend school together 8-10 years. We live in a transit society where families relocate, divorce, etc.. I have a grandson who has always gone to public schools, but he has attended 3 schools in the last 5 years due to family moves.

A lot of kids in public high school start in elementary and middle public schools, then the parents sense the need (academics, safety, etc.) to move their kid to private school for the last 4-6 years.

The other 1/2 were not recruited for football, they just joined the school in middle or high school because their families made that decision.

My son is a senior at CPA and has been there since kindergarten. He is a special needs child who doesn't play sports. 5 of the senior starters on CPA's team have been his classmate since the 4th grade.

Show me a closed zoned public school in 2A with the results of Alcoa and the privates and then I'll be amazed.

I'm just curious and not trying to start a fight although lately I seem to have that effect on here. I know the other school in Benton County doesn't play football. Does Camden and Big Sandy have zones? Could a student at Big Sandy transfer to Camden if he wanted to play football? I wonder how that works in neighboring counties such as at Clarksburg. Does anyone know? Just curious.

I take what the Alcoa fan(s) stated at face value with respect to the pool of talent Alcoa has to work with. However, if that is the case, there simply is no way that a 2A size school can continue to generate the extra-ordinary quantity of D1 prospects year after year. The talent pool is simply too small (475 approx students, 1/2 male) to consistently have 3 - 5 D1 prospects on an ongoing basis. While I am not an Alcoa fan, I am a big fan of their program and what they've accomplished. But as far as saying they aren't accepting outside kids unless there is a connection such as city employee or alum, wasn't Shiverdecker a transfer from Jefferson County and also a D1 prospect or am I remembering incorrectly? If this is the case, how did he get it?

On a different but related note, I have been told that if you live anywhere in Blount County, you can send your kid to the Blount County school of your choice as long as they have an opening. If this is incorrect, could someone definitively explain the policy?

Shiverdecker did move from Jeff Co. due to his mom's illness...they moved in with an aunt who lives in the city of Alcoa. His aunt plays a big part in the raising of Shivey and his little sister. So, he wasn't a tuition student.

As far as your question about Blount Co. Schools, I think this was explained earlier, but here goes:

If you live within the city limits of Alcoa/Maryville, you pay county and city taxes. This entitles you to send your child to a county school. However, if you live in the county, you only pay county taxes, therefore, if you want to send your child to a city school, you have to pay tuition. Hope that cleared that question up.

It's been like that for as long as I can remember, and I'm old! alcoachamp5 hit it right on the head: nobody was complaining in the 90's when alcoa wasn't doing so good, but now that we have a few gold balls, they're all over us. It's no different now than it was in the 90's or even the 70's. County parents who want to send their kids to Alcoa/Maryville pay tuition for that privilege.

This topic has been going on FOREVER. I'm with Alcoa's Painted Bridge....get over it.

I'm just curious and not trying to start a fight although lately I seem to have that effect on here. I know the other school in Benton County doesn't play football. Does Camden and Big Sandy have zones? Could a student at Big Sandy transfer to Camden if he wanted to play football? I wonder how that works in neighboring counties such as at Clarksburg. Does anyone know? Just curious.

A student from Big Sandy can come play football at Camden if he wants...but only if he has his own transportation to and from last period football and practice.

There are a few co op schools that allow students at county schools that don't offer a sport to play at a county school that does offer the sport. I would think their enrollment numbers would have to be adjusted accordingly depending on the percentage of students that participated.

While today's society is somewhat transient, the percentages that have been together since elementary school are alot greater in my neck of the woods. Two of Harpeth's starters moved to the area during high school. The rest all have played together at one of the two elementary schools. Three that still live in the area, transferred to private schools in high school. Two more are playing for public schools in adjacent counties.

My guess is that those percentages are similar in Lewis County, Camden, Huntingdon, Milan, Humbolt, etc......The rural public schools are much more likely to play with home grown talent from elementary school on up. Not a lot of folks moving in and not a lot moving out.