2A enrollment versus polls

divepix

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no head scratching for me. They have all of Blount...Knox...and several other counties to potentially get players. They have the same population advantages Goodpasture...CPA...DCA do. Granted...they are competing with other Blount schools and the Knoxville private schools for those players. They have had DI talent out the ying yang over the last few years. Don't allow tuition paying athletes...and see how they do.

Last time I checked most of the tuition students were not athletes...also most of the D1 prospects have been non tuition

Ah, I see. My bad. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I am a bit confused as to what they are if they are not considered open zoned. What allows them to have tuition students?

They have a defined zone. They can accept students from outside that zone if they pay tuition to attend. Therefore...they can pick and choose who they allow to attend. Open zone means anyone can attend at no extra cost. They have no defined zone.

There's no way to have a 'does more with less' thread in 2A football without having a private/public debate. If the rural closed zoned 2A schools could pick and choose the students that attend school or extend zone waivers to those that are willing to pay an out of zone fee, they could potentially have 1A enrollment numbers. I agree that those that offer out of zone waivers or parents that pay for their kid to play type programs should also have a multiplier attached to them.

Trousdale County, Lewis County and those type programs are the ones that really do more with less in my opinion. The only way they could recruit/attract a player is to have a family relocate to Hartsville or Hohenwald. They are too far removed for any type of reasonable commute and make the most out of the hand that is dealt them. I know I've left some other top notch rural publics out, but these 2 are good for illustrative purposes.

There's no way to have a 'does more with less' thread in 2A football without having a private/public debate. If the rural closed zoned 2A schools could pick and choose the students that attend school or extend zone waivers to those that are willing to pay an out of zone fee, they could potentially have 1A enrollment numbers. I agree that those that offer out of zone waivers or parents that pay for their kid to play type programs should also have a multiplier attached to them.

Trousdale County, Lewis County and those type programs are the ones that really do more with less in my opinion. The only way they could recruit/attract a player is to have a family relocate to Hartsville or Hohenwald. They are too far removed for any type of reasonable commute and make the most out of the hand that is dealt them. I know I've left some other top notch rural publics out, but these 2 are good for illustrative purposes.

Could and do are two different things. This is not a public/private debate. The vast majority of rural schools are zoned by their location. Alcoa is not one of them.

I disagree. it doesn't have to be a public/private debate. I believe there are examples you listed and others that prove smaller numbers can win. All I know details about is CPA. Granted the parents can choose to send their children there, but they have about 160 male students, of which about 45 are playing football (28%). So, you can see football is not the driving force that motivates parents to send their children there. The attraction is more academics, Bible based education, a safe nurturing environment, and fine arts. Over 1/2 of the starters have been in school together since elementary school, so they were not recruited or sent by their parents for football.

Here was my point: If a school has 200 more students (public or private) and 100 of them are male, and 30% of them play football, that school has a talent pool of 30 more male athletes to field a team, of which about 15 will be juniors and seniors. That should give them an advantage regardless of where they live or why they attend the school. High school boys aren't that much different from one another athletically, and if you have 30 more to choose from, you should field a better team.

I believe the reason the smaller schools, whether it be CPA (private) or Trousdale (public rural) win with small numbers is coaching, tradition, parent support, and the ability to get the male athletes to commit to the program.

Last time I checked most of the tuition students were not athletes...also most of the D1 prospects have been non tuition

No criticism of Alcoa; I admire their program. But my understanding is that not only can anyone send their kid to just about ANY public school if they are willing to pay tuition, but I also understand that residents of Blount county can send their kid to any public school in Blount county, completely their discretion. IMHO, there is no question that this has helped Maryville and Alcoa, and has not helped Heritage. The jury is still out on William Blount as to whether the program is on a steady rise or the last year or two is just the normal up and down. I can't blame anyone who's kid aspires to play football for sending them to Maryville or Alcoa, but these issues have an effect on the level of play at those schools and (not that this is the thread to debate it) should be considered when getting into the public / private discussion.

Newsflash:

Alcoa is no longer accepting any tuition students. So it doesn't matter if the best running back or qb wants to pay tuition to attend Alcoa...they won't get in.

Yes, we have some tuition students, but as someone said earlier, most of those students are not athletes. And, the majority of students who are athletes as well as tuition students are also the children of alumni. Then you have the children of city employees who are able to attend Alcoa.

Alcoa does not "pick and choose" who they allow to be tuition students. They don't look at their participation in sports before accepting them. Those students are held to a higher standard as far as grades and discipline...if they mess up, they're out, regardless of who they are.

And, yes, there are Alcoa/Maryville city residents on William Blount's football team (Cole Lail comes to mind). In the past there have been Alcoa residents on Maryville's roster (i.e., one Tank Baker). I'd even go out on a limb and say there are some at Heritage as well, although that point is moot this year.

There are different factors that go into students who don't live in the city limits going to Alcoa: alumni, city employees, plus the desire of the parents to have their child get a quality education. For some of the tuition students, AHS is actually closer than their zoned high school. For those of you who don't know, it's darn hard to find reasonable housing in the city limits. You either buy a small ALCOA plant house, buy an older house for around $200,000 and fix it up, or buy a new house that's at least $350,000. And, with another upscale subdivision coming in behind another one, affordable housing is getting more difficult. Should those children have to suffer at a lesser quality school because they're parents can't afford half a million dollar home? I think not.

Newsflash:

Alcoa is no longer accepting any tuition students. So it doesn't matter if the best running back or qb wants to pay tuition to attend Alcoa...they won't get in.

Yes, we have some tuition students, but as someone said earlier, most of those students are not athletes. And, the majority of students who are athletes as well as tuition students are also the children of alumni. Then you have the children of city employees who are able to attend Alcoa.

Alcoa does not "pick and choose" who they allow to be tuition students. They don't look at their participation in sports before accepting them. Those students are held to a higher standard as far as grades and discipline...if they mess up, they're out, regardless of who they are.

And, yes, there are Alcoa/Maryville city residents on William Blount's football team (Cole Lail comes to mind). In the past there have been Alcoa residents on Maryville's roster (i.e., one Tank Baker). I'd even go out on a limb and say there are some at Heritage as well, although that point is moot this year.

There are different factors that go into students who don't live in the city limits going to Alcoa: alumni, city employees, plus the desire of the parents to have their child get a quality education. For some of the tuition students, AHS is actually closer than their zoned high school. For those of you who don't know, it's darn hard to find reasonable housing in the city limits. You either buy a small ALCOA plant house, buy an older house for around $200,000 and fix it up, or buy a new house that's at least $350,000. And, with another upscale subdivision coming in behind another one, affordable housing is getting more difficult. Should those children have to suffer at a lesser quality school because they're parents can't afford half a million dollar home? I think not.

Great post! I really wish those people who always try to use the whole "open zone" "recruiting/tuition" ploy to explain why Alcoa and Maryville continue to have dominate teams and great players within such a small county would please get over it. Alcoa is a legitimate 2A (small) school with a wonderful football tradition and will continue that tradition for some time to come.

I thought Alcoa was opened zoned, and the students from larger school were just transferring to get more play time. I've heard that due to Alcoa's location the athletes from lager 3a etc. schools are going from larger class to lower class to gain play time, and scholarship opputuities. I've never heard of students having to pay to attend Alcoa anyway. I don't they think recriut or anything they just have the ability to attract great athletes to attend their school and play a sport, because their other sports programs a great too not just their football program. Is any of that true?

Newsflash:

Does this mean that if my child has D-I capabilities, you could just slap me on the back of a garbage truck? I mean....I'm sure that would never happen or anything. My child having D-I capabilities I mean.

Does this mean that if my child has D-I capabilities, you could just slap me on the back of a garbage truck? I mean....I'm sure that would never happen or anything. My child having D-I capabilities I mean.

HUH????? I have NO idea what you're talking about.

But, I will tell you, even if your child has DI capabilities and doesn't live in the city of Alcoa, or the parents don't work for the city, he/she ain't gettin' into Alcoa.