2A enrollment versus polls

divepix

Here is the Earl Nall current poll showing rank / school / actual enrollment / multiplied enrollment:

1. Goodpasture - 360 - 648

2. Alcoa - 473 - 473

3. Westview - 627 - 627

4. Lewis Co. - 553 - 553

5. CPA - 310 - 558

6. DCA - 335 - 603

7. Camden - 605 - 605

8. Milan - 577 - 577

9. Smith Co. - 644 -644

10. Loudon - 675 -675

This post is not to discuss the fairness / justification of the multiplier, but to point out what an amazing job some 2A schools are doing with the numbers they have.

Alcoa - after multiplier, smallest school in Top 10, yet has won last 2 titles and dominated 2A for the last few years.

CPA and DCA - actual enrollment is over 200 less than all but 3 other top 10 teams. If we assume:

- 1/2 of school is male

- 33% of males play football

- 1/2 playing football are juniors and seniors

- juniors and seniors are usually the best players on the team

then, a team with 200 less actual students should have 16-20 less junior and senior players than another team in their classification. To still compete head-up in that situation is quite an accomplishment regardless of the supposed advantages of a private school.

Even with the multiplier, CPA and Alcoa are 8th and 10th in enrollment in the Top 10 Earl Nall poll and are contenders each year.

What is even more amazing is that with such a small enrollment, CPA 2-platoons for the most part, utilizing freshment and sophomores as starters against teams with almost all junior and senior starters.

Please don't let this post become a private/public argument. I am not complaining about the multiplier, just stating some interesting enrollment/results facts.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the Earl Nall current poll showing rank / school / actual enrollment / multiplied enrollment:

1. Goodpasture - 360 - 648

2. Alcoa - 473 - 473

3. Westview - 627 - 627

4. Lewis Co. - 553 - 553

5. CPA - 310 - 558

6. DCA - 335 - 603

7. Camden - 605 - 605

8. Milan - 577 - 577

9. Smith Co. - 644 -644

10. Loudon - 675 -675

This post is not to discuss the fairness / justification of the multiplier, but to point out what an amazing job some 2A schools are doing with the numbers they have.

Alcoa - after multiplier, smallest school in Top 10, yet has won last 2 titles and dominated 2A for the last few years.

CPA and DCA - actual enrollment is over 200 less than all but 3 other top 10 teams. If we assume:

- 1/2 of school is male

- 33% of males play football

- 1/2 playing football are juniors and seniors

- juniors and seniors are usually the best players on the team

then, a team with 200 less actual students should have 16-20 less junior and senior players than another team in their classification. To still compete head-up in that situation is quite an accomplishment regardless of the supposed advantages of a private school.

Even with the multiplier, CPA and Alcoa are 8th and 10th in enrollment in the Top 10 Earl Nall poll and are contenders each year.

What is even more amazing is that with such a small enrollment, CPA 2-platoons for the most part, utilizing freshment and sophomores as starters against teams with almost all junior and senior starters.

Please don't let this post become a private/public argument. I am not complaining about the multiplier, just stating some interesting enrollment/results facts.

Does it suprise you, I think most people expected it to be like this. Alcoa is the head scracther.

Does it suprise you, I think most people expected it to be like this. Alcoa is the head scracther.

Alcoa is amazing. I am not a fan of the multiplier, but a realist that knows it is here to stay. With that said, I feel the challenge for the public schools (and Alcoa has done this) is to develop tradition to the point where the students will want to play rather than goof off, work, or only do one sport. Some of them may have to work, and I understand that. A school with 650 students should have at least 100 male students who could contribute to the football program in some way. With average to good coaching, that school should be a 2A power.

One thing about 2 platooning: it allows younger players to see that they have a chance to play sooner and be rewarded for those hard 2- a-days, and it allows your team to reload faster with experienced palyers, because you always have starters returning each year. This may, with time, encourage more kids to join the team.

There's no head scratching for me. They have all of Blount...Knox...and several other counties to potentially get players. They have the same population advantages Goodpasture...CPA...DCA do. Granted...they are competing with other Blount schools and the Knoxville private schools for those players. They have had DI talent out the ying yang over the last few years. Don't allow tuition paying athletes...and see how they do.

Not really, they are open-zoned. There is no surprise here. Private and open-zoned schools do more with less (students). This is why the multiplier is in place. I suspect that open-zoned schools will face one someday, if Alcoa and Maryville continue to dominate all-comers.

Not really, they are open-zoned. There is no surprise here. Private and open-zoned schools do more with less (students). This is why the multiplier is in place. I suspect that open-zoned schools will face one someday, if Alcoa and Maryville continue to dominate all-comers.

They are not open zoned. They have tuition paying athletes.

They are not open zoned. They have tuition paying athletes.

Ah, I see. My bad. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I am a bit confused as to what they are if they are not considered open zoned. What allows them to have tuition students?