There's more than Football!

VikingFan14

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viking Fan 14 I've not been able to get over the display of sportsmanship and just total heart and soul that your son gives when he is playing. Now, I know what is behind it. He has come through the refining process as gold thanks to God and a father who loves him. My son was number 88 for JCS. They were attached at the hips the whole game. Every pass that was thrown to my son your son was there. What impressed me the most was how they seemed to develop a friendship on the field. They picked each other up. Hi-fived each other. I was watching the video and on a few plays your son left coverage to make a key hit on someone else or break to the ball. (He was in on every big play in the game it seemed) After the play they would walk past each other and hi-five on the way to their huddles. I had never seen anything like it. He was fierce, competitive, and respectful to his teammates and his opponent. I asked my son about it after the game: He said he was a really good and he was cool too. (My son doesn't give out compliments freely) Evidently they would also tell each other "good play" after every play. What a great person. Now, I know how he has become such a great man. Anyway I had already left a message for you on another thread, I don't remember which one...We live in Three Way maybe you-me and the boys can hook up for some golf or fishing sometime...

You've done a great job... Without a doubt your son would get the vote of all the JCS fans as the one player whose sportsmanship and heart stood out from all others we've played this year. (And we've played a lot of fine young men--this has been the best year for sportsmanship---at least in our region- I've ever seen) God Bless You and thanks for sharing your heart. It is something we all needed to hear.

Viking Fan 14 I've not been able to get over the display of sportsmanship and just total heart and soul that your son gives when he is playing. Now, I know what is behind it. He has come through the refining process as gold thanks to God and a father who loves him. My son was number 88 for JCS. They were attached at the hips the whole game. Every pass that was thrown to my son your son was there. What impressed me the most was how they seemed to develop a friendship on the field. They picked each other up. Hi-fived each other. I was watching the video and on a few plays your son left coverage to make a key hit on someone else or break to the ball. (He was in on every big play in the game it seemed) After the play they would walk past each other and hi-five on the way to their huddles. I had never seen anything like it. He was fierce, competitive, and respectful to his teammates and his opponent. I asked my son about it after the game: He said he was a really good and he was cool too. (My son doesn't give out compliments freely) Evidently they would also tell each other "good play" after every play. What a great person. Now, I know how he has become such a great man. Anyway I had already left a message for you on another thread, I don't remember which one...We live in Three Way maybe you-me and the boys can hook up for some golf or fishing sometime...

You've done a great job... Without a doubt your son would get the vote of all the JCS fans as the one player whose sportsmanship and heart stood out from all others we've played this year. (And we've played a lot of fine young men--this has been the best year for sportsmanship---at least in our region- I've ever seen) God Bless You and thanks for sharing your heart. It is something we all needed to hear.

Thanks for letting me know who you are! Matt said he & your son talked alot! Issac I believe is your son's name! Said your son had ALOT of class. I too noticed them chatting after each play & asked him what they said to each other. He said your son ALWAYS complimented him on his play. He has alot of respect for #88 & that is a direct reflection on you as well. I've had alot of people tell me how those two young men showed alot of people what true sportsmanship is! And the tons of JCS fans that complimented me after the game was tremendous. Great fans @ JCS! If you & your son like to duck hunt then let me know & we'll go one morning.

This kid needs to be on you fellers team, I kept up with you guys all last season, you fellers were a class act from start to finish.

This kid needs to be on you fellers team, I kept up with you guys all last season, you fellers were a class act from start to finish.

[/quote=

Thanks Pujo... You are from Hampton aren't you? I think your team has a great shot at making it this year. Watch out for McKenzie over here on this side, they are tough.

Actually, Humboldt is a very classy team. I was impressed with their sportsmanship. They've had a lot of adversity this year or they would be making some noise in the playoffs. (I think they've still got a shot at getting a wildcard)But we would love to have Mr. Pritchard for sure. He does embody everything our boys try to be about. Plus he didn't give my son any breathing room all night when we played them. He was everywhere.

Let me put things into perspective! Friday night was Senior Night @ Humboldt before the Westview vs Humboldt game. Before the game all the senior's parents were honored along with their sons. My son's mother passed away on January 4th 1994 when he was 3 yrs old. The names were called & roses given to the player to hand to each player's mother. As my son's name was called he walked up & retrieved the rose intended for his mother & graciously gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I held back the tears! His smile was so loving & appreciative! So mature & strong! Much stronger than I ever was! The game went on & I sat there watching more calmly than any game I've ever watched him play. I held the rose! Cradled it cause I knew what he was wanting to do with it. After the game he came up to me & said he knew what he wanted to do with the rose. I told him I knew as well. He said he wanted to go to the cemetary & give it to his mother. I knew! I knew before he told me!

The next morning we went to the cemetary & Matt walked up to his mother's headstone, looked for a moment, then gently placed the flower on his mother's headstone. He placed it just like he wanted slightly turning it so it was placed just right. He took a few steps back to make sure it was just right. I was speechless! The same feeling I've had for all these years. Speechless! Holding back tears! I remembered him placing Mother's Day cards he'd made in school on his mother's headstone & saying, "I love you mommy". This time he just stared at his mother's headstone. I tried to say she'd be proud of you but I couldn't. Matt asked me what I was trying to say. I still couldn't say it! Speechless again! He stood there so strong! I cried! I knew he had grown up to be a man. Much more of a man than I'll ever be! He's been my rock all these years since his mother's passing. That's not the way it supposed to be. Life's not fair! And it's not fair that a child should have to grow up without his/her mother but it is what it is. We go on!

Although I couldn't say it at the moment I know his mother would be proud of him. I sure am! He's much more than I could ever imagine. He's much more a man than I ever was & for that I'm VERY proud of him! There's more to life than the game of football or anything else for that matter. Life is about trials, tribulations, & lessons! I've doubted my parenting as we all do but today I realized that a little boy growing up to be a good man is the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had. Remember that as your kids go through life.

Tim Pritchard (VikingFan14)

Awsome post. Tears are rolling down my face as I type. God Bless you and your son.

'Great fans @ JCS! If you & your son like to duck hunt then let me know & we'll go one morning.'

Well, I'm not much of a hunter but Isaac loves it and I've been trying to take it up for that reason. I do know the Duck Commander. I did a leadership workshop at his church in Louisiana and ate dinner at his house. That was a trip. Isaac was in awe of him, he'd never seen a real life "Jeremiah Johnson" before. The Duck Commander gave him everyone of his DVD''s and videos. A couple of summer's ago the Duck Commander was going to let Isaac work for him but we moved from Florida to Tennessee that summer. We decided he needed to hook up with friends from his new school and that is when he started playing football for the first time. Pretty good first year of football---State Championship... Baseball has always been Isaac's main sport. I think football has at least tied baseball now. Pretty good baseball season too---State Runner-Up... The only problem with the Duck Commander is that he is a LSU fan even though he was the starting quarterback at La. Tech in front of Terry Bradshaw. We'll hook up somehow... Sounds like Matt plays baseball too...

Good luck in your last game, hope you get a wildcard... Again, great post...

Thanks for sharing your heart and keeping all this in perspective. I'm having a very hard time dealing with the fact that we are down to one last regular season football game. It's a fun ride as a father. No greater joy than seeing your son play ball and it goes by way to fast... It seems like yesterday we were starting coach pitch baseball... Now he is in his senior year... Those of you with younger children. Savor every moment. Don't waste it fretting and pressuring your child. Enjoy it! It's gone before you know it and you don't want to have regrets. Make it a privilege and good memory for your children not a drudgery!

I just want to say that the comments from all of you have been overwhelming to me as a parent. There have been events in my life that I wish had not taken place but as I look at my son & hear the nice comments from people that have been around him it makes me think that we've done good. Children don't come with an owner's manual so we have to figure things out on our own. Sometimes we do good & sometimes we fail but whatever we do we do as a family. Same thing in the game of football..........you win together & you lose together!

I've run through the gamut of emotions! I've questioned God. I've dared him to face me! I've cursed him! I'm glad he is a forgiving God! I'm glad that he understood my frustration & loved me enough to forgive me. He loves me! And I love him! And I'm thankful that he gave me the greatest gift he could give a man & that is a wonderful child. Love your children every day & tell them when they make you proud. Thanks again to everyone of you for making my bittersweet Friday night a blessing! You made an impact on me! You really helped alot!