What coaching changes are we looking at this year?

lcfootball

I would hope Clinton see's some changes in coaching and in the position of Athletic Director. Shattuck, Marsh, and Phillips need to find another career and avoid anything that requires human contact.

Clinton Courier reports Phillips going to Tusculum College. Why would he think he could coach at the college level when he's not been very successful at the high school level. Not to mention the fact that he's been in trouble with the school board because of a certain internet name he used on MySpace.com. He's a very poor role model for high school students. Someone should inform Tusculum administration of the little pet name he likes to use. Tusculum College is a class act. Don't think he'll fit in or last long.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some sources say he was going to be fired and had to a certain day to submit his resignation. I hope this is a good thing for Cocke County. I cannot see how you can NOT improve off two 1-9 seasons. I hear there is no empahsis on the freshman teams there, cancelling JV games because Crawford didn't want his younger son to play, and problems with the parents, and some coaches never coming to practice.

I hope they can find someone that can help them rebuild that program. I know in back in the mid 90's they really took it to our program at their place. Early in the fall I commented about some of the things I had heard about this program. I heard this football team NEVER went live, HIT, or tackled in practice. I also heard that they didn't have conditioning for the players, meaning that they never ran in practice. I heard that they had a coach that coached at Tennessee and Mississippi State, but the head guy didn't allow him to assist or basically wouldnt listen. I also heard that there was a guy in town who used to work for some NFL teams, the Bucs, and the coach told the players that doing agility and conditioning through that guy was a waste of their time and that they would never get better. I dunno, but if these two individuals were around my football program, I would be kissing their tails after going 1-9.

I actually saw this team actually play vs. Crockett and I have never seen a high school team run plays to the short side of the field. I have over 15 years of coaching experience and when you run a twins set to the short side of the field and actually throw the ball in the flats??? Talk about WOW! They just got flat out punished in the Crockett game and looked like their team was in poor shape and they also had a few players go down with injury.

I hope the current players can put the past in the past and forge on! I wanted to respond tho this thread, because I have heard a lot of things coming out of Newport and whether they are true or not, something is going on down there that wasn't right. Good luck to Newport in search of a new coach!

Crawford was no good for CCHS football...NONE! I hope CCHS will have a better coach soon! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Yes he is

How else are you suppose to judge improvement? How about the play on the field? Is the team playing better week to week and season to season, are you more competitive now than you were before

Yes and No to us playing better

Yes, they do play better against opponents that "overmatch" them, and beating Central went a long way for this program. No, it doesn't seem like they play better against opponents that are at the same skill level or worse. Didn't we blow a 34-7 lead to Clinton if I'm not mistaken, and they lost 30-9 to Powell, when they only lost 24-14 last year.

This is very sad to hear. I think the absolute world of Coach Ferg. He is the last at OHS of my son's coaches from 98 and my last real tie to the football program. I cannot tell you how much this man has meant to us at my house. I wish him the best that life has to offer. Not only did he love each and every one of these boys, but he will always be there for him through the rest of their lives. They will come to realize how important that will be in the yrs to come. GOD bless you and your family, Coach.

I only hope that Mr. Vaughn carefully searches for a replacement that will be the best role model possible, love these boys and help them even after they graduate, and treat each player fairly regardless of their social standing in the community.

Great comment price! I think Ferg is a great man. He and I have been great friends for years, and he has always been a loyal guy with a big heart. I wish him all the best wherever life takes him from here. I second everything that has been said in this...we all wish you well coach!

Yes and No to us playing better

Yes, they do play better against opponents that "overmatch" them, and beating Central went a long way for this program. No, it doesn't seem like they play better against opponents that are at the same skill level or worse. Didn't we blow a 34-7 lead to Clinton if I'm not mistaken, and they lost 30-9 to Powell, when they only lost 24-14 last year.

How can you blame coaches for blowing a 27 point lead? To me, it shows that the team was prepared to play. Is that not a coaches job, to have their team prepared and ready to play?

Clinton Courier reports Phillips going to Tusculum College. Why would he think he could coach at the college level when he's not been very successful at the high school level. Not to mention the fact that he's been in trouble with the school board because of a certain internet name he used on MySpace.com. He's a very poor role model for high school students. Someone should inform Tusculum administration of the little pet name he likes to use. Tusculum College is a class act. Don't think he'll fit in or last long.

Coachpecker is what was on his myspace page. what was on myspace said nothing about clinton. I see nothing wrong with that. i looked at other sites in Clinton including some teachers and they were 100 times worse than coachpecker. School board never got involved know your facts. he is going back to school to finish his degree. Off. tripled points , had a 1800yd passer a 1500 yd with 15 tds rusher. a 800yd 8tds reciever. Doubled wins each year, sounds liked he left with clinton in better shape than he found it. oppressed238 did coach phillips make you mad because he would'nt change the off to suit you. maybe he held your son accountable and he quit and blamed it on coaches.he is gone so move on.

Coachpecker is what was on his myspace page. what was on myspace said nothing about clinton. I see nothing wrong with that. i looked at other sites in Clinton including some teachers and they were 100 times worse than coachpecker. School board never got involved know your facts. he is going back to school to finish his degree. Off. tripled points , had a 1800yd passer a 1500 yd with 15 tds rusher. a 800yd 8tds reciever. Doubled wins each year, sounds liked he left with clinton in better shape than he found it. oppressed238 did coach phillips make you mad because he would'nt change the off to suit you. maybe he held your son accountable and he quit and blamed it on coaches.he is gone so move on.

I don't think Coachpecker's contribution to Clinton reflects his abilities as a coach as much as Clinton just has talented players in skill positions. If the players are good enough sometimes coaches don't have to coach, just hang around, then move on when they wear their welcome out. And yes, I believe school administration did become involved, so maybe you should check your facts. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by Coach Phillips making me mad, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't have a son that Coach Phillips held accountable and got mad and quit because he (Coach Phillips) wouldn't change the offense. Don't try to make someone else look bad because you are trying in vain to defend someone who is a poor example to high school kids, football players, or anyone else who has the misfortune to come in contact with him. Coach Phillips has a bad attitude, plain and simple. You certainly don't have to take my word for it. Ask anyone who truly knows him and has seen him at his "best". I have moved on. Many people are glad he has too!