Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

I think most of the folks around here know Coach Quarles cannot walk on water. I don't remember ever saying he was "great". His record well, it speaks for itself. He likes it at Maryville. He feels he has the best high school job in the State. And he would be the first to tell you he has OUTSTANDING assistant coaches. I wouldn't trade our O Line coach for anyone, and our def coordinator Coach Gaylor is a former head coach himself. Not everyone is clamoring for a college job. To get to a D1 school you just about have to go the GA route just to get in the door. I don't think it is a lack of ambition on his part, I just think he likes where he is right now. And I don't think coaching is near the most important thing in his life. His wife has a good job here, his family is nearby, and he seems to love the Maryville community and as mentioned earlier just moved into a new house. He is also athletic director at the high school this year for the first time and enjoys having that new challenge.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The things I don't really feel South has to worry about is can they compete talent wise with Marryville, or can they move the ball against Marryville. South has plenty of talented young men on their team. A few are getting some looks from some D-1 schools and D-2. Some of the Juniors are also getting some attention as well. So the talent is there. Now, is the talent there top to bottom like Marryville? The top to bottom I speak of equates into how many players play both ways. Most South fans are well aware of the fact that the Big Blue Rebs are probably the best conditioned team in NET. This has been proven repeatedly over the course of the season from the first game with Science Hill, to most recently in the playoffs. In a few games our starters did not play much at all in the second half. In all 3 playoff games South's offense and defense only got stronger as the games got into the 4th quarter. Now having said that, none of those teams were Maryville obviously. Being a school of an enrollment of about 1100 students going up against a school of about 1500 students, it could possibly make a difference depending on how many, and which players play both ways. I think coach Carter and his staff do a pretty good job with rotations on the O-line and D-line keeping them fresh. I'm not sure about Marryville's rotation, or how many players play both ways. In the playoffs I don't think Greenville or M-West had many players that played both ways. IDK maybe I'm looking too much into this. On the scoring part of it, having said that South can score, yes I think they can score on almost anyone, but Marryville probably feels the same way also. I think both defenses are going to be fired up and it will be a low scoring , hard hitting game. Well lower than most people think, over/under 38.

Give them nothing! But take from them everything!!!

I will take the over for $1,000,000 Alex. I have been reading this thread with interest and find it refreshing to see the enthusiasm of the Sullivan South fans. I'm afraid you are in for a rude awakening though. I doubt SS fans have witnessed an offense even close to the versitility of the Maryville offense. An incredible passing attack coupled with a solid running game I will take the over on the Maryville offense alone.

I am sure Phillips is a great QB but do you realize how many teams Maryville has humbled the last few years that were loaded with D-1 talent? Let's take the Alcoa team in 2005 football season. A minimal of 7 future D-1 players made up their roster and Maryville absolutely SPANKED them. This will be no different IMO than the typical NET versus Maryville games. Maryville by a bunch........JMO.

I will take the over for $1,000,000 Alex. I have been reading this thread with interest and find it refreshing to see the enthusiasm of the Sullivan South fans. I'm afraid you are in for a rude awakening though. I doubt SS fans have witnessed an offense even close to the versitility of the Maryville offense. An incredible passing attack coupled with a solid running game I will take the over on the Maryville offense alone.

I am sure Phillips is a great QB but do you realize how many teams Maryville has humbled the last few years that were loaded with D-1 talent? Let's take the Alcoa team in 2005 football season. A minimal of 7 future D-1 players made up their roster and Maryville absolutely SPANKED them. This will be no different IMO than the typical NET versus Maryville games. Maryville by a bunch........JMO.

Your properly right here.. It still is getting old though with the BIG MV winning to much lol.. I like you dudes a bunch as i have told you over the last four years. With that said when is some team in 4A going to step up a get the BIG MV. Is this the year? I really thought Red Bank would give you a much better game. What i see coming for you guys looks good same oh same oh.. LOL GOOD LUCK.

South truely is in uncharterd waters for the school. I mean from what were hearing we should just stay home and say we had a good season, lets wait til next year. But they will play the game and they will fight til the end win or lose.

We have tasted defeat before and been humbled by it, but we have learned from it. A big part of life is being humbled on occasion, it keeps things in perspective. Maryville has rulled for so long and been dominate all this time (58 games I believe), how humbling it will be when the Red Rebs do fall, maybe from South , maybe not according to most everyone. But it will happen by someone. The law of averages are extremly hard to beat. Don't get me wrong, Maryville has done something so special, so amazing, it will be difficult for any team to repeat. The coaches and players are to be commended. I have noticed some Red Rebel fans on here who are very respectful of the opponents whomever it might be, and that is also commendable. They will be the ones who will take from that defeat, whomever it's from, a greater appreciation of what has been done. To some others on here it will be the bitterest of pills to swallow. Sinking into your chest like a stone that will not go away. Maybe years of success breeds arrogance in a few people. IDK we've never achieved anything like Maryville has, we probably would have some chest thumping too I guess. I guess we will lace em up anyway Friday night and see what happens. I pray for a safe game for both teams.(And good officiating,keep them safe too!) /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

South truely is in uncharterd waters for the school. I mean from what were hearing we should just stay home and say we had a good season, lets wait til next year. But they will play the game and they will fight til the end win or lose.

We have tasted defeat before and been humbled by it, but we have learned from it. A big part of life is being humbled on occasion, it keeps things in perspective. Maryville has rulled for so long and been dominate all this time (58 games I believe), how humbling it will be when the Red Rebs do fall, maybe from South , maybe not according to most everyone. But it will happen by someone. The law of averages are extremly hard to beat. Don't get me wrong, Maryville has done something so special, so amazing, it will be difficult for any team to repeat. The coaches and players are to be commended. I have noticed some Red Rebel fans on here who are very respectful of the opponents whomever it might be, and that is also commendable. They will be the ones who will take from that defeat, whomever it's from, a greater appreciation of what has been done. To some others on here it will be the bitterest of pills to swallow. Sinking into your chest like a stone that will not go away. Maybe years of success breeds arrogance in a few people. IDK we've never achieved anything like Maryville has, we probably would have some chest thumping too I guess. I guess we will lace em up anyway Friday night and see what happens. I pray for a safe game for both teams.(And good officiating,keep them safe too!) /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Sorry if my post offended you. I was just stating my opinion based on the history of NET teams versus Maryville. While you are correct.....Maryville will lose a game some day, and it could be this year, but I seriously doubt it will be to Sullivan South. No disrespect but history will tell you that the NET teams do not compete well out of their domain. Maybe you should heed to the advise of the Tennessee High fans that brought a power house team into Maryville and got wiped out in the first half. It's no joke that Maryville plays at a different level than teams from the NET. Phillips and company may make it close early but Maryville has too many weapons, are too well coached, and have big game experience that NO ONE in the state can match. This is not Maryville's strongest team but it is talented with weapons throughout the roster. IMO it will take a great game from South and turnovers and poor play from Maryville to keep it close. If Maryville plays well this game is over early. Again....JMO

I do not think anyone involved with this game (SS and Maryville) is saying that SS has no chance to win. I also do not think that anyone who has played SS and is really evaluating the game is saying that either. I have stated (MoWest fan) that if SS can keep it close or get a lead, then they have a perfect chance to do what has not been done in 58 (or 59 can't remember) games. I also know that SS is not a one man team. Curt is very important to the team, but he is not the team. I was extremely impressed with his performance against West and what I heard on the radio against Greeneville. What impresses me most is what he opens up for his teammates. If you pay too much attention to Curt the other players are there to take advantage of that lapse. So, no one can say that SS does not have a chance.

However, everyone also has to admit that Maryville is favored. The success speaks for itself and will continue to speak until someone is able to beat them. I remember the last two years we played Maryville. In 2005 we had a huge line, a bruising running back, and home field. I did not guarantee a win, but felt we would keep it close and perhaps get the win. Maryville manhandled our line (much bigger than their defensive line) and stopped the running back cold. I was in total shock. It was totally unbelievable. In 2006 we also had a huge line, fast backs, and a huge D1 fullback. However, on offense we tried to come out and pass. It did not work very well. On defense we were very strong, but Maryville was so polished that it did not matter. Their line made the plays to open holes for the backs and the passes were all timing routes. They were complete before our defensive backs could get close to the receiver. Then the receiver (pick one) would turn up field make a move and be gone for a huge gain. We were out of that game in the first quarter.

So, while SS does have a chance (again the game must be played) you have not played a team like Maryville. I hope that SS does win (region pride) and will be pulling for that come Friday night, but I also know Maryville.

I guarantee they will be the most polished and mistake free team that SS has played. Is that enough to say Maryville will win, no it is not. I really hope that Curt will make the difference and be one more player than Maryville can handle, but it is hard for me to believe it will happen. MoWest's experience speaks too loud in my mind from recent years to believe that Maryville will lose. However, we did not have a player of Curt's ability. So, I am hoping that Maryville will have to pay too much attention to him, which will allow his teammates the opportunity to make the plays necessary for the win.

On a side note, there is no doubt that both of these teams respect each other. You do not make it to this round without that respect. There is no doubt that both of these teams deserve to be here. They have both proved it on the field. There is no doubt that both of these teams have a lot of talent. The stats and records show the talent level. So, I am expecting it to be a great game. I am hoping it will be a close game (not like the last two years against us). And last but not least I am hoping for a South win. I do not mean any disrespect to Maryville and I do not consider myself to be a Maryville hater. If you are a high school football fan, then you have to respect what GQ, staff, and players have done. It is the program we are all trying to emulate, but it would be nice to see a NET team do...well, what seems to be...the impossible.

As mentioned by several others, great post. I think that as a DB fan that has seen both teams; Maryville wins. I think that Curt is better than advertised, but does not have near the weapons or publicity as other teams. Curt at Maryville, BA, MBA, or Riverdale would be rated as the best player in the state, and I have seen most of the best living in Nashville (as 03 loves for me to say). South will struggle with depth and speed compared to Maryville. South will give Maryville a better game then TN High did because of the more explosive offense (more passing). Maryville was easily able to stop TN High's run game and that was the knock out punch to TN High. South can pass, the QB can run, the rb can run, and the defense is pretty good. However, Maryville has more talent, speed, and depth and on paper should win. This is why we play the game though. Maryville may have an off night with fumbles & interceptions coming often; same can be said for South. But, South may be on and catch Maryville off balance. Maryville is no doubt the favorite, but South will play for 4 quarters.

Maryville 31 South 17 I would like to see an upset though

PS; the South fan that said South is the best conditioned team in upper East TN as evidenced by the South vs Science Hill game; that is not a good game to reflect you conditioning. Science Hill was by far the WORST conditioned team in the area this year, even at the end of the season vs DB it was very obvious. The Hill needs to get a trainer or something.

GQ is a great coach, no doubt. Let me tell you a little bit more about GQ.

I had only seen George on the field as a coach, but in the winter of 2002, I saw another side of him.

My daughters were playing Upward basketball at First Baptist Maryville and at the half of each game a person from the church leads devotions.

That day, which was right around Valentine's Day, George gave a testimony about love. He talked about how he loved his wife, family, Maryville football, etc. But then he talked about how all that paled in comparison to the love that Christ has for us and the sacrifice that He made for us. You could have heard a pin drop in there. George definately had a captive audience of kids and adults alike.

So needless to say as good of a coach as GQ is...I'm even more impressed with the man, how he represents my alma mater, the community, and the positive impact that he has not only on the football players and students at MHS...but everyone he comes in contact with.

So true!! I've played a little golf with him and while he's maybe the most competitive person i've ever been around i've never heard him say a foul word. he's just the kind of guy you want to have influencing your children from 9th grade on. Now just to show you I don't think he's perfect he does need to work on his short game (chipping &putting)

I had to through that in just incase this post gets back to him.

I had only seen George on the field as a coach, but in the winter of 2002, I saw another side of him.

My daughters were playing Upward basketball at First Baptist Maryville and at the half of each game a person from the church leads devotions.

That day, which was right around Valentine's Day, George gave a testimony about love. He talked about how he loved his wife, family, Maryville football, etc. But then he talked about how all that paled in comparison to the love that Christ has for us and the sacrifice that He made for us. You could have heard a pin drop in there. George definately had a captive audience of kids and adults alike.

So needless to say as good of a coach as GQ is...I'm even more impressed with the man, how he represents my alma mater, the community, and the positive impact that he has not only on the football players and students at MHS...but everyone he comes in contact with.

When I was a student, there was always talk about George leaving for a college program. When he was my driver's ed instructor, shortly after he assumed the head coach role, he was constantly on the phone with "head hunters" trying to get a feel for what his goal was.

I won't beat a dead horse, but I will agree with the previous posts regarding his character, morals, etc.

But I would like to add, for those who may still have doubts, that Coach Quarles is being noticed. He's been named to the staff of the US Army All-American Game. Congratulations GQ.

Great post! Sometimes we have to be reminded it IS about more than the game. Thanks

Sorry if my post offended you. I was just stating my opinion based on the history of NET teams versus Maryville. While you are correct.....Maryville will lose a game some day, and it could be this year, but I seriously doubt it will be to Sullivan South. No disrespect but history will tell you that the NET teams do not compete well out of their domain. Maybe you should heed to the advise of the Tennessee High fans that brought a power house team into Maryville and got wiped out in the first half. It's no joke that Maryville plays at a different level than teams from the NET. Phillips and company may make it close early but Maryville has too many weapons, are too well coached, and have big game experience that NO ONE in the state can match. This is not Maryville's strongest team but it is talented with weapons throughout the roster. IMO it will take a great game from South and turnovers and poor play from Maryville to keep it close. If Maryville plays well this game is over early. Again....JMO

You seem to know alot about NET football. I was just wondering how many of the 58 straight wins Maryville has was over NET teams as opposed to other East Tn. teams. And are you leaning heavely on the 49-0 win over Tennessee High in '04 to support your argument that East Tn. teams are "weak out of their domain". Was it not a NET team that last defeated Maryville? Its not a NET teams are weak 'thang.......Its a Maryville is the best in the State 'thang.

Well said!

I am happy and proud that my sons were blessed with the opportunity to have played under GQ. He and his staff teach more than just football. Now, several years removed from ???The Program??? my sons are developing into fine young men contributing positively to their families and the community in many ways. Part of that result and my thanks go to George Quarles for his positive Christ like impact on and off the field. Winning comes in more ways than outscoring an opponent and it is a blessing to have GQ as an educator in Blount County who just known??™s just a little about football and a great deal more about young people.

I don't know how long GQ and his wife Leslie will stay choose to stay in the community but I know there will be a great legacy left here by them. Maryville will lose one day on the field but will never lose in the big picture of life because of people like GQ!