Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game. Curt looked very good. The rest of the SS team looked average. Curt was able to slowly move the ball down field. Maryville moved the ball any way they wanted to move the ball. Bottom line is that SS had an average team with a stud QB/Safety. One player is good but not enough. Good luck next year to all.

Maryville rolls. Number 10 in white may have been the best running back on the field tonight but number 10 in black was clearly the better quarterback.

I don't think anyone that actually watched the game tonight would agree with that post. Burnette was very impressive and is definitely a D-1 prospect. But his supporting cast and the gameplan his coaches give him are from from what Phillips has to work with. Phillips could have made any of those throws Burnette made but i know Burnette could never run the ball with the authority and the ability to take hit after hit as Phillips did. Good luck to Maryville at state.

Thanks for clarifying that you were complimenting Phillips for his ability as a runner, not demeaning his ability as a qb.

Obviously, Burnette and Phillips are different types of qb's that are both very successful high school players. Burnette is much better than "decent" as you stated; he is very, very good. Phillips is, however, on another level athletically from Burnette and I am sure that is why he is more highly regarded as a college prospect than Burnette.

I agree with your thoughts, and you likely stated a lot of why I made the comment to begin with. By athletically on another level, yes you are likely correct. Thing is I doubt Phillips will be returning kicks, and playing safety as well as playing quarterback in college. As a drop back passer, I would take Burnette any day. But as you say they are different types and the fact Phillips ran much more than he passed this season bears that out.

Phillips could have made any of those throws Burnette made but i know Burnette could never run the ball with the authority and the ability to take hit after hit as Phillips did.

Peyton Manning probably couldn't either. And many Hall of Fame quarterbacks either.

It's nice to have a quarterback that can run, but when you get to the next level, coaches are going to be a lot hesitant to run their quarterbacks all the time. I know Tim Tebow has dished out more than he's taken, but I'll bet you he's a very sore boy right now.

If Burnette can read defenses better than Phillips, keeps his accuracy up, and continues to have good pocket presence and a scrambling ability like what he demonstrated on his first TD throw in that game tonight, he'll be just fine. And Burnette and Phillips are likely going to have the same quality in their supporting cast wherever they go, so which QB would you want more - the one that's known to run more, or the one who's been known to throw 3 TD's in 3 minutes?

I believe Burnette has been Maryville's MVP this year as well. This was easily the worst Maryville team we've had in the last six years (yes I count the 2003 team that lost to Morristown West) but the one constant on the field was Burnette and he pulled through for us.

Go Maryville, bring another trophy back home.

I agree with your thoughts, and you likely stated a lot of why I made the comment to begin with. By athletically on another level, yes you are likely correct. Thing is I doubt Phillips will be returning kicks, and playing safety as well as playing quarterback in college. As a drop back passer, I would take Burnette any day. But as you say they are different types and the fact Phillips ran much more than he passed this season bears that out.

I agree Burnette is the superior dropback passer and I edited my previous post that said Phillips was a better college prospect. I really don't know that for a fact since I am not a college football recruiter... I was simply going by ratings I have seen on Rivals and I just assumed it was because Phillips is more athletic. I really hope Brent Burnette gets the opportunity he is looking for to play college football because I do think he can be successful at the next level, if he is in the right system that can take advantage of his great skill as a passer.

First of all, way to go Maryville!!! You played a great game against a good team with a stud at QB. I was impressed all night by Phillips ability to run the ball. But nothing compares to watching the Maryville offense work their magic. Congrats to both teams on a well played, almost penalty free game. This show that both teams played with tremendous class. To Sullivan South hold your heads up, you avenged a early loss and fought hard against one of the best teams around. To Maryville see you next week in the Boro, and bring home another gold ball.

Way to go Alcoa & Fulton

Anthony any enrollment figures you see on Maryville High School will include all four classes. Nowhere have I ever seen 10-12 grade figures. You have whinned about the WB game and like a million before you are now whinning about Maryville's classification. For every 100 students Maryville has above S South's enrollment how many play football? How many start? Unless you have these figures how can you ACCURATELY determine the difference those students make???? You like others post these numbers as if EVERY ONE OF THEM is a football player. There is NOT THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE between 5a and 4a ball in Tennessee. Guys like you, especially when talking about Maryville act as though it is going from MTSU to the SEC.

Of course it includes all 4 classes. What I meant is it started with the present Sophomore class, the enrolled was taken in 2006. The difference is not insignificant, 1381 for Maryville and 1056 for Sullivan. Thats about 30% more, so to answer your questions in makes a difference of about 3 starters on each side of the ball

Of course it includes all 4 classes. What I meant is it started with the present Sophomore class, the enrolled was taken in 2006. The difference is not insignificant, 1381 for Maryville and 1056 for Sullivan. Thats about 30% more, so to answer your questions in makes a difference of about 3 starters on each side of the ball

No offense, but i hope Maryville rapes maplewood in the buro and hurts maplewood's freshman rb.

Just noted on the gaterade.com web site that Curt Phillips was named Gatorade Player of the Year from Tennessee.

Congrats on a well deserved honor!

It's been a special time watching Curt exhibit the best qualities of what is great about high school football. Witnessing his commitment to excellence on and off the field and giving it all to serve the team has been an inspiration.