Region 7AA Tournament

The last time the Lady Bulldogs advanced to Sub-state Jackson North Side head coach, Farris Lowery was the coach.

To add alittle bit of info to this post Carol Smith was an allstate player for Milan that year, who until just recently held the all time scoring lead at Milan. Carol has 2 daughters that playat NSide.Chantell Poston just became Milan's all time leading scorer and currently has 1,953 points and well over 900 rebounds.

It'd be awesome to be playing you Wednesday and again next Saturday if possible. I'm hoping we won't have to meet you guys in the second round of the state tournaments!!!!!

Two teams from the same region can not meet until the finals, as they are automatically put into seperate brackets.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, that's a good thing then. Interesting fact on tomorrow's game. Milan beat us in the last game in Districts WITHOUT starter and second leading scorer on the team, Heather Griffin. The game was very close so maybe Griffin will be the difference factor in tomorrows game. If both teams do make it to the 'boro next week I'll do my best to stay for Milan's games and help support them as well! Should be 2 interesting weeks of basketball, this week and next! Good Luck to GC as well as the Milan Lady Dawgs!

Guest nwtnsports

Couple of points, guys:

Carol Smith was on the last Milan team that made it to the state tournament in 1981. The Lady Bulldogs finished runner-up in AA that year. Milan's last region championship was in 1988 against Gibson Co. - a 50-47 Milan win. The Lady 'Dogs then lost to Briarcrest by two in sub-state. Lowery was the head coach and Donny Joyner, father of JR G Julianne Joyner, was the assistant. SO C Perica Glenn is the daughter of Sonya Dance, a great player on that '88 team. (Thanks to Steve Short of the Milan Mirror-Exchange for the information!)

Milan beat Gibson Co. with Heather Griffin, too - 54-50 on Jan. 29 in Milan. Griffin led the Lady Pioneers with 19 points that night. She definitely has made a difference against the Lady 'Dogs this season, though. The 20-point game in the Christmas tournament championship was impressive.

Here's hoping for a great, exciting game tomorrow night and no injuries. Maybe both teams will be getting ready for state this time next week. Milan by 4.

Milan beat Gibson Co. with Heather Griffin, too - 54-50 on Jan. 29 in Milan. Griffin led the Lady Pioneers with 19 points that night. She definitely has made a difference against the Lady 'Dogs this season, though. The 20-point game in the Christmas tournament championship was impressive.

Here's hoping for a great, exciting game tomorrow night and no injuries. Maybe both teams will be getting ready for state this time next week. Milan by 4.

Should be an exciting game... both teams should know what they need to do to pull out a "W"... since this is the fifth time they will met.... GC will have to play consistant.. and own the boards...Milan will get their points.. but so will Gibson County.... looking forward to tomorrow night... but really excited about the next step....

Go Lady Pioneers!!!!....

after tomorrow night...

i will feel comfortable saying, "Go lady Dawgs"... lol...

This will be another great match-up. Poston does not scare me as bad as Gray. She (gray) hit some UNBELIEVABLE shots against OC. Gibson County usually can contain Poston. She will score some, but won't dominate. Go Gibson County! Nice to know we could have possibly 3 teams from Gibson County advance to the 'boro.

Guest nwtnsports

Great points. Coach McMillan will have Gibson Co. ready, and the players have such a determined attitude. They are a really talented team.

It is a great accomplishment to have three teams from the county in the sectionals - two of the premier girls' programs in the area through the years in GC and Bradford. Then there's Milan, who went 5-21 in '02-'03 and has turned it around with Coach Volbert's leadership and the play of some special players, including this year's two seniors.

Once again, good luck to both teams tomorrow night. I'm glad they'll be back in action Saturday.

Guest nwtnsports

Gibson Co. 58, Milan 52

GCHS - 11 7 18 22 -58

MHS - 13 15 16 8 - 52

GC - Butler 30, J. Pate 11, Griffin 6, Jennings 4, Garner 4, Huey 3

M - Gray 16, Glenn 10, Poston 8, Simpson 8, Hamm 6, Bledsoe 3, Joyner 1

Big stat: turnovers - M 18 (4 in 1st half, 14 in 2nd half); GC 15 (12 in 1st half, 3 in 2nd half)

What an unbelievable comeback by the Lady Pioneers! Milan led 44-27 late in the third quarter, but Heather Butler became the leader for Gibson Co. They brought the press, forced turnovers, and hit some big shots.

I missed the pick, of course, but congratulations to Gibson Co. on their region championship! Three big wins in the region after finishing fourth in 13AA. They'll be at home on Saturday, and Milan hits the road to Memphis as both teams try to advance.

Unacceptable is the only thing i can say about that game!... Im usually the first to say good game but i refuse this time THAT WAS THE BIGGEST BUNCH OF S#!% I have ever seen in my life... Can a team get any more help from the refs... All i wanna know is check or visa?... Gibson county was allowed to flat out rape Milan the entire second half and dont even tell me Im wrong because LIARS GO TO heck... BULL S#!% is all that game was and it started at the beginning when the Haywood police harassed the Milan student body... And not only harassed but went after one imparticular who did absolutely nothing wrong, if you ask me even tho the cops were black it was racial profiling because he was the easiest target... It started when they broke into our huddle pushing us around without warning or provocation... They started yelling at us to put our shirts on, not asking us, yelling at us... All of us started acted upset at what had happened and were acting way worse than the kid they went after... All he said was, "What" in a manner that wouldnt threatin a fly... As soon as the words came out of his mouth the Cop jumped at him and gradded him... He immediately began to back down from the cop like I dont want any trouble man... the Cop wouldnt let him go and kept yelling at him... Not 10 sec later another cop jumps in... the first Cop was already three times the kids size and the other one was about his height... with out any provocation the littler cop yells, "I will take your head off" as a threat... It was totally uncalled for and they forcefully removed him from the gym... he was allowed to return but im sure the angry parents near yelling at the cops had every thing to do with that... It was totally uncalled for and should never have happened those Cops were out of control, if they had asked nicely there would have been no problem... Oh and i loved how they had nothing to say to the GC students for taunting the Milan crowd after the game, they didnt just rush the floor to celebrate in the middle(that would have been fine) but they got about 10 feet away from our bleachers only to yell insults... I was pulling for GC to make it to state to rep 13aa along with Milan but now i couldnt be happier if they lose this saturday!

Oh i might need to add just incase anyone doesnt know the kid they went after was a black student... Im white and im usually the last one to play the race card but that was uncalled for... Im ashamed Milan school officials did not step in... Its never taken force by Cops to sit us down before... Un-freakin-Excusable!

I'm a Milan fan and don't like to blame refs and just wanted GC fans input. The only thing I had to go on was Robin complaining on the radio about the refs because they scheduled the game on a stinking Wednesday Night /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I'm a Milan fan and don't like to blame refs and just wanted GC fans input. The only thing I had to go on was Robin complaining on the radio about the refs because they scheduled the game on a stinking Wednesday Night /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Your exactly right the refs dont put the ball in the hole or cause turnovers but i agree with robin on playin on a stinkin wed night and gc pioneer where you at lets hear from ya

I dont see how a Gibson County fan will be able to tell you in all honesty that they Won that game without help from the Officials it couldnt have been more obvious... I mean of course Milan didnt hit some shot but its hard to get the good looks when your getting hacked and our girls couldnt dribble the ball because of the constant hand checking, reaching-in, and bumping that was being administer by the Gibson County girls... Sara Hamm couldnt even pass the ball several times because her arms were hit in mid throw, which resulted in no call turn-overs