Best Coaches in Knoxville Area?

catpalace

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How hard is it to be great coach at Bearden, Fulton, Maryville, AE, Oak Ridge, and Farragut? Just curious. I think a lot of coaches would be successful at these schools given the chance. But, on the other hand, the chances must be earned.

Randy Moore-Seymour

Shane Wells-Lenoir City

Derek Wallace-Anderson County

Joe Lane-Wartburg

Ken Wright @ Sevier Co. is as good as anybody around. Doesn't have a lot of talent, but if you ask other coaches he is someone you don't want to play. Has a State Title in AAA from GA.

Agree with you completely. If I am not mistaken, he coached the Augusta Westside team with William Avery (Duke) and Rickey Moore(Uconn). Obviously, he doesn't have the same talent level at Sevier County but I look for Sevier County to begin some upward mobility in District 4-AAA starting next year.

I love Sevier County's motion offense with the constant backcuts. Defensively, they are very solid as well.

Good call on Coach Wright, Hoosier.

Thanks for all of the information. Like i previously said, i am a student at UT and recently changed my major to what I've always wanted to do(teach and coach basketball) and I am wanting to get involved in a program around here. I figured it could be a great learning experience to be affiliated with a top coach and a top high school program in knoxville, and I'm sure a coach wouldn't mind free help. So thanks for all the information!

Not to burst your bubble, but Knox County, in their infinite wisdom, has done away with all "volunteer" coaching positions. That means you would need to "volunteer" at one of the private schools in Knox County or step outside the area to Maryville or Oak Ridge. Another piece of advice, get certified in something other than P.E. (those spots are reserved for football coaches, LOL).

From a success standpoint, you would need to include Mike Hutchens from Catholic H.S. He's made 3 trips to the state tourney in the last 6 years. Can any of these other guys say that? He's never lost to Eldridge or Dodgen.

Looking at some of the younger coaches in the area I would agree that Shane Wells from Lenior City needs to be near the top of the list along with Landry Kosmalski from Webb and Derek Wallace from Anderson County.

Agree with you completely. If I am not mistaken, he coached the Augusta Westside team with William Avery (Duke) and Rickey Moore(Uconn). Obviously, he doesn't have the same talent level at Sevier County but I look for Sevier County to begin some upward mobility in District 4-AAA starting next year.

I love Sevier County's motion offense with the constant backcuts. Defensively, they are very solid as well.

Good call on Coach Wright, Hoosier.

Yep that's the team. They also defeated Science Hill to win the Arby's Championship that year. Science Hill went on to win AAA State Title. Best Motion coach around, you can't guard his teams man to man, even with superior talent.

there are a lot of good coaches in the area, but talent makes some better than others.

derek wallace is one of the best young coaches around. in two years, he has done a lot with AC (26-5 this year). eldridge did leave things in order for success, but i expect good things in the future from wallace and the mavs.

eldridge does have a lot of talent, but sometimes that makes it tough. he does a great job of simplifying the game plan.

i love bauman at WB. he is a firey competitor no matter what he is doing (church league softball, cards, tic-tac-toe!) as mentioned before, he is even a better person.

jody wright gets all the calls, but has earned them, i guess?? teaches great defensive principles and has good discipline.

blevins just seems strange!

Not to burst your bubble, but Knox County, in their infinite wisdom, has done away with all "volunteer" coaching positions. That means you would need to "volunteer" at one of the private schools in Knox County or step outside the area to Maryville or Oak Ridge. Another piece of advice, get certified in something other than P.E. (those spots are reserved for football coaches, LOL).

From a success standpoint, you would need to include Mike Hutchens from Catholic H.S. He's made 3 trips to the state tourney in the last 6 years. Can any of these other guys say that? He's never lost to Eldridge or Dodgen.

Looking at some of the younger coaches in the area I would agree that Shane Wells from Lenior City needs to be near the top of the list along with Landry Kosmalski from Webb and Derek Wallace from Anderson County.

Wow I didn't know that. I don't really understand why they would implement that but thanks for letting me know. I don't see any harm that voluntering could cause. About getting certified in P.E., I am not that stupid.haha. I definitely know the limitations on opportunity if thats what your certification is. I am going to get certified in English which should open up more opportunities. So private or somewhere out of knox county? I guess I'll try to start talking to people to get the ball rolling somewhere..thanks for the info

Wow I didn't know that. I don't really understand why they would implement that but thanks for letting me know. I don't see any harm that voluntering could cause. About getting certified in P.E., I am not that stupid.haha. I definitely know the limitations on opportunity if thats what your certification is. I am going to get certified in English which should open up more opportunities. So private or somewhere out of knox county? I guess I'll try to start talking to people to get the ball rolling somewhere..thanks for the info

There have been several reasons given, a few of which make sense. Liability and accountability are the 2 main reasons. The TSSAA has no problems with a limited number of volunteer coaches per sport. If your certification is still to be determined, I would also consider science, math or a foreign language since those are areas with a big demand. I don't know if you could do anything in conjunction with UT such as an internship which may help you get around the "volunteer" guidelines with Knox County.

Mocs30- Any ideas for this budding coach prospect short of a nice school like Catholic or surrounding county?