Best Coaches in Knoxville Area?

catpalace

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

With out a doubt Coach Ogan is. A great coach and teacher of the game.

Agree 100% about Ogan...he gets a lot from what he has to work with. A little known fact as well Jody Wright actually started out his coaching career at Horace Maynard H.S. which is now Union County H.S. his record there was 2-23...it was amazing how much better he became as a coach after he got to Fulton and the talent that they have year in year out. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Two things I would say about the Jody Wright comment:

1. Most coaches get better with experience

2. Talent does make a difference, but you can't measure the success of a high school coach on record alone - many good high school coaches don't have a chance to have a winning record, because of the talent they have to work with and/or have to compete against. On the flip side, there are a lot of coaches out there with good records who have won only because of talent. In Jody's case, I believe it's both - he does have talent to work with and that makes a huge difference, but he is also a heck of a coach.

Two things I would say about the Jody Wright comment:

1. Most coaches get better with experience

2. Talent does make a difference, but you can't measure the success of a high school coach on record alone - many good high school coaches don't have a chance to have a winning record, because of the talent they have to work with and/or have to compete against. On the flip side, there are a lot of coaches out there with good records who have won only because of talent. In Jody's case, I believe it's both - he does have talent to work with and that makes a huge difference, but he is also a heck of a coach.

I agree with both points....however I bet if coach Wright had stayed at Uinion County his name would not be on this list of top coaches.

At one time that may have been the case. He had some good runs at Rule but hasn't done much since. His CAK teams have played very uninspired basketball for his tenure there and he didn't do much at Carter. It appears that he took the CAK job as a way to double his income. Retirement pay from Knox County along with a new salary from CAK. Even though the talent level hasn't been top-notch, a good coach would have been able keep his teams competitive by adapting to their strengths. Not bashing him because he is a good person that, in my opinion, is out of his element at a private school. The tactics that he has used on the kids at Rule won't fly at CAK if you know what I mean.

IrishBBall funny you should post something about darden. as a former player for darden, i will say that he is an excellent coach and to say we played "uninspired" is a bunch of BS. He is one of the better coaches in Knoxville because of the way he can tell players whats gonna happen out there, sometimes he just doesnt have the talent to go out there and win. Trust me, I couldnt play worth jack before i played for him. and adapting to there strengths? when teams our flat out better than another team its hard to say well lets use our strengths. And with the young ones he has this year its gonna be a tough year. it really is but hes a darn good coach

IrishBBall funny you should post something about darden. as a former player for darden, i will say that he is an excellent coach and to say we played "uninspired" is a bunch of BS. He is one of the better coaches in Knoxville because of the way he can tell players whats gonna happen out there, sometimes he just doesnt have the talent to go out there and win. Trust me, I couldnt play worth jack before i played for him. and adapting to there strengths? when teams our flat out better than another team its hard to say well lets use our strengths. And with the young ones he has this year its gonna be a tough year. it really is but hes a darn good coach

I'm just basing it off what I've seen the last few years. Not sure where/when you played for him but there has been a change in the last few years. While the talent he has been given the last few years has been far from the tops in the district, he has been talented enough to compete and pull off a few more victories. I think he is out of his element at a private school that is so different from his previous jobs. That isn't coming just from me, it's from the kids and parents at CAK. I'm not saying that he should be able to "coach up" players to have beaten Catholic, AC, Loudon, Stone but he should have been able to beat Kingston, Scott Co and some off the other weaker teams they have played. I like Coach Darden but I don't feel he's one of the top coaches in the Knoxville area. If you read one of my other posts, you will see that I said he was a good Xs and Os coach but lacking in other area which would back up your statement about knowing the other teams and scouting.

Shane Wells seems like a good coach, but he applies for every open job in the Knoxville area (boys and girls). Im not sure how the players feel about that.

To my knowledge Shane Wells doesn't apply for every job in the Knoxville area that comes open. His name is brought up as a possible candidate for every job that comes open in the Knoxville area. BIG difference! It just shows the respect that the area has for his coaching ability not the other way around or what you are implying. DUH!!

To my knowledge Shane Wells doesn't apply for every job in the Knoxville area that comes open. His name is brought up as a possible candidate for every job that comes open in the Knoxville area. BIG difference! It just shows the respect that the area has for his coaching ability not the other way around or what you are implying. DUH!!

There is a Big difference. But, anyone who is in the know in this area is well aware of the attempted job hopping. This is High School Basketball in East Tennessee not the UT football search, schools don't go on regional recruiting searches for coaches, they post openings and then people apply. Whenever a girls (the CAK incident) or boys job opens up (West) its a given Wells will apply.