Manassas -vs- Union City

Legend

Manassas firing up three pointers like they are the ones trailing. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Just so you know, I am a basketball fan and am not affiliated with any of the teams in the state tourney. Just my observations about this game.

Hats off to Union City for never quitting. They played like champions do, never giving up.

Manassas has to be one of the worst coached teams I've seen in awhile. You have a 17 point lead in the 2nd half and the coach is not taking advantage of that kind of lead or taking advantage of his bigs. They had guys jacking up 3's within 5 seconds of breaking 1/2 court before the bigs ever got in position. How do you not take advantage of a 17 point lead and work the clock and get good shots and bang it inside?????

It was an entertaining game to watch, yet I can not understand for the life of me what Manassas was thinking or why they weren't.

Awesome job UC on a perfect season.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

union city is out of there league. 47-30 at half and could have been alot worse. the best player on the court is buckner and the best team by miles is manassas. this could be a 40 point game.

You been premature all your life? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

And why does it got to be that the two teams don't play good defense? Could it be their offenses are so good?

Buckner should have been tossed. He needs to clean up his act. Then the coach didn't even get on to him. Just slapped his hand as if it was alright.

MJ started hittin his shots then the whole team followed. MJ had 3 points in the first half. 26 in the second. Nick Brooks smoked a couple of threes in the comeback. All the players that guarded Buckner did well, Pat Polk, Ryan Simpson, Nick Brooks. In reality UC should have focused on defending the perimeter than down low.

The old ref needs to retire. He was terrible. When the UC player tripped over the Manassas player he called the foul from the other side of the court while another offical was 6 feet away watching the ordeal go on. He missed calls all night. It feels good to vent on the situation.

If Manassas had spent more time this week working on clock management and less time at the barber shop, the outcome may have been different.

amen on that comment my friend.

That is the difference in raising your child in a smaller type surroundings than the Memphis area raisings. You could look at the kids on the court and just see the difference in the type kids.

If they had give the award for best hairstyles, Manasses would have won that.

Maybe this is what their fans and everyone else who said they were going to beat Union city meant at their haircuts!

Also, I agree the Memphis coaches, all bu the White Station Coach , like the dress coade to be part of winning. They really did look nice though.

Even the T V guys made the comments about their hair and might have spent more time on the court than in front of a mirror working on their cuts.

I thought they looke kinda funny myself.

If Manassas had spent more time this week working on clock management and less time at the barber shop, the outcome may have been different.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

There was never a doubt that UC would take this game. Our guys are athletes that play with class. They always have smiles on their faces and always play together as a team.

Congratulations to the Union City Tornadoes on a great season and on the GOLD BALL.

Congratulations to MJ Brown Tournamnet MVP and CLASS A MR. BASKETBALL.

You been premature all your life? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

And why does it got to be that the two teams don't play good defense? Could it be their offenses are so good?

Buckner should have been tossed. He needs to clean up his act. Then the coach didn't even get on to him. Just slapped his hand as if it was alright.

MJ started hittin his shots then the whole team followed. MJ had 3 points in the first half. 26 in the second. Nick Brooks smoked a couple of threes in the comeback. All the players that guarded Buckner did well, Pat Polk, Ryan Simpson, Nick Brooks. In reality UC should have focused on defending the perimeter than down low.

The old ref needs to retire. He was terrible. When the UC player tripped over the Manassas player he called the foul from the other side of the court while another offical was 6 feet away watching the ordeal go on. He missed calls all night. It feels good to vent on the situation.

I totally agree, the old ref was horrible.

Observations: Buckner is a heck of a talent, but complains too much, takes cheap shots, got out muscled by 5"10" Pat Polk and Ryne Simpson (Buckner was not double teamed all game long) and is overall lazy or just not in shape.

UC: never say die attitude won the game. MJ 3 points at half and decided "let's go win the game" and scores 26 in the 2nd half. Rebounding is not all about height, it's about who wants the ball more and effort, and UC simply wanted it more. The better "team" won, while the team with all the potential goes home. As coach Barnes (TN HS Hall of fame coach) says "potential means you haven't done anything yet"

Hey Legend can you spell UNDEFEATED, I can UNION CITY GOLDEN TORNADOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a more serious note, Manassas congrats on a great season, you guys came out in the first half and re-arranged Union City. I really dont believe UC was ready for the quickness and I personally did not think ya'll would come out shooting the bombs the way you did!! Second half, different story, Union City came out much like they have in every big ballgame this year, like TORNADOES. As far as the comment about rebounds, read the boxscore, UC 53,

Man 50 enough said.

Manassas one more thing, what in the world are you doing coming out in the 2nd half shooting shots like your 20 down with one minute remaining in the game, that really shocked me, I really expected a smarter philosophy out of Coach Harris. Maybe ego got the better part of him and he wanted to put a serious beat down on UC. Manassas will be back, no doubt about that.

Congratulations UC 37-0. and congrats MJBrown MVP and back-to-back Mr. Basketball, it has been an honor and wondeful pleasure to broadcast a great bunch of guys, THANKS FOR THE RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back to Athens. Great to see Purple and Gold and the rest of the crew. Great to meet Galilee and GC Pioneer. Now to the game. MJ, what more can I say? He was a man among boys today. He put the team on his back and said "Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon." Legend, Manassas is a diamond in the rough. I will say I was truly disgusted and disappointed with the shenanigans of Buckner. If he concentrated more on his skills and less on his flopping around like a fish out of water he would be unstoppable. He was continuously trying to get cheap calls and was constantly provoking our players but to no avail. You may think highly of Coach Harris, but the thing to remember is that a player plays and acts as his coach allows. It is hard to earn respect of other players and coaches when this occurs. More to come. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Whatta game! I just got back home and just now able to post... Legend, you over-hyped Reginald Buckner! All I saw him do yesterday was stand around in the lane and wait for someone to come in and throw it in the stands which was impressive. He stood around too much and didn't like the physical play too much (especially in the UC game). Pat Polk and Ryne Simpson had their way with Buckner, playing with his head and containing him. Manassas's best player in my opinion was Roy McFadgon. I sat in the Manassas section of all places! I told the Manassas folks that were sitting around us that the game WAS NOT over! I told them that I've seen Union City play too many times and that they'd come back and make a game of it. I reminded them of what I said when they made that comeback too! I watched all of the games yesterday and the championships today and Union City in my opinion was the best team up there. Ridgeway was very impressive as well but I think Union City would've played with and beat them.

bhh, good to meet you as well...bet you weren't expectin to me a 20 year old kid huh? lol...

chipper..."are you GCPioneer" lol that was pretty funny...awesome to meet you and talk to you for a few also

purple, good to meet you too... you weren't the person who I thought you were. I knew who treefitty was but I had the wrong face with your coacht name...

what is funny is that I was sitting there talking to "some guy" next to me during the whole first half of the Mitchell game and treefitty came down there and said something about someone on coacht and that "guy" was like I get on coacht and he was like I'm Galilee...haha, you never know who your talking to...

UC had a major comeback but I think Mannassas took some VERY EARLY 3's they could of made their possesions longer and decreased the number of possesions for UC.

I just got back from the 'Burro....Congratulations, Union City. Your victory just goes to show that the H.S game is 32 minutes long, not 16. Ya'll EARNED that Gold Ball, last night!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NCSFan22, I agree with you 100%. Absolutely one of the the WORST displays of clock management that I've ever seen! It was as if Manasssas' Coaching staff was focused too much on extending their lead, losing complete sight of the fact that the clock was their new opponent, in the late 3rd Qtr, not UC....Manassas simply did not play smart basketball, beginning mid-way the 3rd qtr.

I'd like to add one other thing, however: Manassas came out in the 2nd-half very flat-footed and laid back, as if they had the game won. They lost their defensive intensity, completely. As a result, UC was able to get a whole lot more open looks. Their shots started falling....Union City appeared to WANT it more than Manassas, based on all the hustle plays, in the 2nd-half.

Leading by 17-18 pts, then losing the game.....Wow, that stings!

------------------------------------------------

Gutty win Union City. Great season Manassas.