6-5A - Let's hear some opinions

bearfeet

As long as Ron Crawford is there, Brentwood will have a stout defense.

Now the offense. . . is in dire need of some playmakers to step up. Need desperately to develop a passing game (which is incredible to think when the word "Brentwood" pops up). And that starts at QB and goes through to the WR position. That was the one glaring problem Bruins had last season.

I don't think the play-calling there last season was anything more than a reflection of the limited nature of the skill positions. You didn't have a Whittemore throwing to a Davenport, or a McCurdy throwing to a Heimerdinger, or have an Everson, or a Lifsey, or a Smith, or a Fugate rumbling down the field. You did the best you could with what you had. Depending on personnel (as a learned person analyzed the situation there), the Bruins will either be like Florida or like Air Force each season.

I completely agree that the passing game was the problem last year. I don't think anyone who watched a single game last year would disagree. However, your assessment that the OC did the best with what he had... Well, if that was the best he could do, heaven help us. The offensive playcalling was mediocre at best. There were kids on that field who can catch a pass and one that could throw it to them. AJ was never given any real opportunity to show what he could do. It seemed as though every incomplete pass would result in keeping the ball on the ground for the rest of the game. Nevermind the fact that throwing the ball, even if it results in an incomplete pass or even an interception, keeps the other team guessing at what play you might run on any given down. There were times when we needed one score to win the game with minimal time left on the clock, yet we continued to run it up the middle. Give me a break! The Hunter's Lane game comes immediately to mind. It's the playoffs...do or die time. Go big or go home. And we just keep stuffing it up the gut? Tell the seniors that were crying their eyes out on that field that night that it was the best playcalling he could do with what he had. Maybe, just maybe, if the qb we plan on utilizing in actual games could get some reps this spring and summer, we might be in a little better shape. It's true that we don't have the benefit of the QB/WR match ups of the past, but we are going to HAVE to make something more happen with what we've got. And the coaching staff is as responsible for making something happen as the players on the field.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bruins need a QB to step up. They thought they had an answer going into the fall, but it didn't work out. AJ was thrust into a tough situation and performed admirably. He is a winner and a leader, but I was never impressed with his ability to throw in game conditions. That's not necessarily his fault, but just how things fell. I was never impressed at practice or games with the receiving corps. Way too many drops.

All of it needs to be fixed, and should be fixed this season.

The Bruins need a QB to step up. They thought they had an answer going into the fall, but it didn't work out. AJ was thrust into a tough situation and performed admirably. He is a winner and a leader, but I was never impressed with his ability to throw in game conditions. That's not necessarily his fault, but just how things fell. I was never impressed at practice or games with the receiving corps. Way too many drops.

All of it needs to be fixed, and should be fixed this season.

I hope you're right.

Both or you need to just continue to be fans and let the coaches coach. Brentwood has a very good coaching staff both offense and defense. They are smart enough to do what the kids can do and don't need anybody trying to help them at what they are way more qualified to do. Kids read this also and don't need to read this crap.

Both or you need to just continue to be fans and let the coaches coach. Brentwood has a very good coaching staff both offense and defense. They are smart enough to do what the kids can do and don't need anybody trying to help them at what they are way more qualified to do. Kids read this also and don't need to read this crap.

I couldn't agree with you more. I read enough web coaching of coaches and players in the other threads. It doesn't speak well of a team unity by their own fans. It's like arguing with yourself. I haven't seen much of this type talk from Brentwood fans in the past. I just attribute this to the natural boredom of football fans during off season. There is not much to talk about so what else is there?

My memory is that Brentwood was a mere 11 points from winning the game at Indy and having the number one seed that Indy had. A couple of ill fated turn overs by BHS and who knows Maybe BHS would have been the team getting to the big dance. And "didn't amount to much" please give me a break. What "didnt amount to much" was Indy's performance at state. With the talent they lost I think we will all see a real "not amount to much" season from Indy. I don't know how many BHS games you saw but trust me you have no idea what your talking about they had a fine season that any fan could be proud of. Listen your team went from being an easy win to a contender enjoy it but last season is over.

Can't argue with you there about the performance at state. Records are one thing, but only victory counts and is remembered.

While I agree that fans need to let coaches coach, this is what these forums are for. For fans to Monday morning QB. Coaches need to tell their players to stay off of here or at the least don't take what is discussed seriously.

My memory is that Brentwood was a mere 11 points from winning the game at Indy and having the number one seed that Indy had. A couple of ill fated turn overs by BHS and who knows Maybe BHS would have been the team getting to the big dance. And "didn't amount to much" please give me a break. What "didnt amount to much" was Indy's performance at state. With the talent they lost I think we will all see a real "not amount to much" season from Indy. I don't know how many BHS games you saw but trust me you have no idea what your talking about they had a fine season that any fan could be proud of. Listen your team went from being an easy win to a contender enjoy it but last season is over.

I have no connections with Brentwood or Independence.

However, my point earlier was that this region was down this past season. And to elaborate more on it you said that Brentwood "was a mere 11 points from winning the game at Indy and having the number one seed" which is true (well actually it's false it was 10 points but that's irrelevant to my point). However looking back, Brentwood lost to Siegel who did not even make the playoffs in region 4. So the fact that region 6 had a potential number 1 seed late in the season who had lost to a 5 seed from region 4, emphasizes my point that the region was down.

And I did have the opportunity to see Brentwood play and I agree they "did not amount to much". And the only year Indy has been an easy win was their first year of varsity football. Not to mention they didn't have a senior class that year either.

6-5A fans have been awfully quiet. Although spring practice hasn't yet begun, surely there are some thoughts about what the upcoming season might bring. Isn't anyone else having serious football withdrawals like me? Let's get some discussion going - I am tired of reading about Franklin County and East TN!

Yep, me too! I walked out of the field house last week for Agilities and "smelled " it in the Air! /excl.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":excl:" border="0" alt="excl.gif" />

/motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

Thanks,

Coach Lackey

W.C.H.S. Football

GO CATS!!!!

coachlackeyla@yahoo.com

I have no connections with Brentwood or Independence.

However, my point earlier was that this region was down this past season. And to elaborate more on it you said that Brentwood "was a mere 11 points from winning the game at Indy and having the number one seed" which is true (well actually it's false it was 10 points but that's irrelevant to my point). However looking back, Brentwood lost to Siegel who did not even make the playoffs in region 4. So the fact that region 6 had a potential number 1 seed late in the season who had lost to a 5 seed from region 4, emphasizes my point that the region was down.

And I did have the opportunity to see Brentwood play and I agree they "did not amount to much". And the only year Indy has been an easy win was their first year of varsity football. Not to mention they didn't have a senior class that year either.

Ten points would have only given Brentwood a tie in that game they need 11 to win we lost 7-17.And I still disagree Brentwood had an incredible season after having to completely change their offense mid season.Its a fact they were 11 points from winning region and as I am sure Indy will agree does "amount to much". I don't think anyone can deny Brentwood getting their act together mid season and making a valiant run for the playoffs. And as far as the Siegel game that was a game we should have won but as what happened all season long the refs just couldn't seem to get it right but granted the game should have never been that close for one bad call to cost the game but it did. Last seasons working out the bugs was a hard pill to swallow but will be worth it this year. Brentwood is going to be very strong for several years to come they have lots of young talent coming up the pike with their JV and freshman records to prove it. I as I am sure most everyone here cant wait, 132 days to go!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...