DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

I agree that Jordan Edwards natural position is probably tight end or defensive end where he can get those long arms up in the air and knock down some passes. More than anything, I hope that the offensive line and backfield can get the cadence worked out in preseason. It was terribly frustrating to watch those kids struggle through the first half of the season like they did.

The second half of the season only got better because they started a semi huddle with the lineman. The huddle provides so much to a high school team. They can communicate to each other if they dont know the play and they can also communicate who needs help blocking somebody. Unlike college and pro, high school teams dont get the practice time to perfect a no huddle. The no huddle provides so many opportunities for mistakes and that is exactly what we saw last year. If you talk to a kid from last year they always had several players not knowing what to do on the play. That was what led to the delay penalties. Quite honestly, the offense got pretty simple the second half, Chris to the right, Chris to the left. A good defense will stack the line on DB and make them throw. They need to find some receivers to help keep the defense honest.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second half of the season only got better because they started a semi huddle with the lineman. The huddle provides so much to a high school team. They can communicate to each other if they dont know the play and they can also communicate who needs help blocking somebody. Unlike college and pro, high school teams dont get the practice time to perfect a no huddle. The no huddle provides so many opportunities for mistakes and that is exactly what we saw last year. If you talk to a kid from last year they always had several players not knowing what to do on the play. That was what led to the delay penalties. Quite honestly, the offense got pretty simple the second half, Chris to the right, Chris to the left. A good defense will stack the line on DB and make them throw. They need to find some receivers to help keep the defense honest.

Agreed. Way, way too many delay of game penalties last season. No real excuse for that.

Have any of you guys been by to see the new football field yet? If you haven't it's worth a trip by there. It looks like a work of art and is something the city of KPT will be proud to show off for many years to come. I went by and took a tour and went as high as the pressbox to get a good view. I know I'm prejudice, but I think it's as nice a high school football field as you will find anywhere in this part of the country. Now I can't wait to break it in!!!

Hello Indian fans,

I have a question about the new FieldTurf. Previously part of the endzone near the baseball field was dirt because of the layout of the field. I am sure you all know what part I am talking about. Will that part be filled in with removeable turf for football season or will it still be the same? Just curious. It looks great by the way, you all should be proud. Good Luck to the Indians this coming year!

Hello Indian fans,

I have a question about the new FieldTurf. Previously part of the endzone near the baseball field was dirt because of the layout of the field. I am sure you all know what part I am talking about. Will that part be filled in with removeable turf for football season or will it still be the same? Just curious. It looks great by the way, you all should be proud. Good Luck to the Indians this coming year!

Hello 83SouthRebel,

if you will go to TriCitiesSports.com and click on the story about the D-B vs. Unicoi County baseball game there is a photo gallery which includes pictures of the entire facility (to the left field outfield fence)...but to answer your question, the entire field is FieldTurf...the "infield" part of the facility is simply clay colored FieldTurf...the only real dirt on any playing surface in the stadium is the pitchers mound, everything else is Field Turf...it is really something very special...hope to see you there.

Roll Tribe Roll

Hello 83SouthRebel,

if you will go to TriCitiesSports.com and click on the story about the D-B vs. Unicoi County baseball game there is a photo gallery which includes pictures of the entire facility (to the left field outfield fence)...but to answer your question, the entire field is FieldTurf...the "infield" part of the facility is simply clay colored FieldTurf...the only real dirt on any playing surface in the stadium is the pitchers mound, everything else is Field Turf...it is really something very special...hope to see you there.

Roll Tribe Roll

Thanks skunk, pictures look great. What a great playing surface for the Indians. Thanks for clearing that up about the clay colored FieldTurf.

Have any of you guys been by to see the new football field yet? If you haven't it's worth a trip by there. It looks like a work of art and is something the city of KPT will be proud to show off for many years to come. I went by and took a tour and went as high as the pressbox to get a good view. I know I'm prejudice, but I think it's as nice a high school football field as you will find anywhere in this part of the country. Now I can't wait to break it in!!!

Hope it will last the 10 years they say it will. The real "turf war" will not start between who gets to use the field and how often. Most turfs dont get the use that this stadium gets every day and night. Between high school teams, middle school teams, bands and concerts this will be a real test.

Hope it will last the 10 years they say it will. The real "turf war" will not start between who gets to use the field and how often. Most turfs dont get the use that this stadium gets every day and night. Between high school teams, middle school teams, bands and concerts this will be a real test.

My guess is it's going to be pretty durable based on the way it was explained to me. The pulverized rubber and sand is actually on top of the playing surface and acts as a cushion for all the pressure placed on the mat. There is a special piece of machinery that the grounds crew drives over the field ever so often to keep the rubber mixture strategically spread where it needs to be. But of course only time will tell.

Loved or Hated BUT NEVER Ignored

The Dobyns-Bennett Football Spring Practice begins this Thursday. Alas, it will not start out upon the new turf field. That happy event will be possibly three days into practice(baseball area was completed first). The first scrimmage will be May 9th with Knox Halls at Knox Halls so we ALL will finally get a glimpse at this upcoming year team's skill and ability at working together.

IMO??”this upcoming year group of Senior??™s, is a total as of now of 42 (we have lost a few and gained a few but the majority core is still the same). They have played together since their Boys Club days and have NEVER lost a game against an opposing team unless that loss was to each other (Boys Club & middle school years). Which I will admit does NOT have any bearing upon how well they can and will play at the High School level, but YOU will have to admit does make one think. Notably with the talented upcoming underclassmen filling in key positions, just makes a loyal DB fan just say HOOYAH! at the possibilities!!

May the injuries be few, and points on the board more than the other team! To ALL whom love football and have a blast supporting the teams they love, HAVE A GREAT 2008!

Loved or Hated BUT NEVER Ignored

The Dobyns-Bennett Football Spring Practice begins this Thursday. Alas, it will not start out upon the new turf field. That happy event will be possibly three days into practice(baseball area was completed first). The first scrimmage will be May 9th with Knox Halls at Knox Halls so we ALL will finally get a glimpse at this upcoming year team's skill and ability at working together.

IMO??”this upcoming year group of Senior??™s, is a total as of now of 42 (we have lost a few and gained a few but the majority core is still the same). They have played together since their Boys Club days and have NEVER lost a game against an opposing team unless that loss was to each other (Boys Club & middle school years). Which I will admit does NOT have any bearing upon how well they can and will play at the High School level, but YOU will have to admit does make one think. Notably with the talented upcoming underclassmen filling in key positions, just makes a loyal DB fan just say HOOYAH! at the possibilities!!

May the injuries be few, and points on the board more than the other team! To ALL whom love football and have a blast supporting the teams they love, HAVE A GREAT 2008!

They have played together since their Boys Club days and have NEVER lost a game against an opposing team unless that loss was to each other (Boys Club & middle school years). Sorry, but they lost in '03 as 7th graders and in '04 as 8th graders (Sevier) to CHMS. When Jamie Crawford was QB for Lynn Garden in the 5th grade he lost in the regular season to CH Optimist and in the championship game. He did not play Optimist in the 6th grade with the current South rising seniors going undefeated that year as well. DB Frosh of '05 (this years rising seniors) defeated the '05 South Frosh. Just for the record. I'm sure you may not have been privy to all those years. Hope that helps.

They have played together since their Boys Club days and have NEVER lost a game against an opposing team unless that loss was to each other (Boys Club & middle school years). Sorry, but they lost in '03 as 7th graders and in '04 as 8th graders (Sevier) to CHMS. When Jamie Crawford was QB for Lynn Garden in the 5th grade he lost in the regular season to CH Optimist and in the championship game. He did not play Optimist in the 6th grade with the current South rising seniors going undefeated that year as well. DB Frosh of '05 (this years rising seniors) defeated the '05 South Frosh. Just for the record. I'm sure you may not have been privy to all those years. Hope that helps.

Crawford and classmates only lost one game in 7th grade to Vance with Henson at QB.Went undefeated in 8th grade,undefeated in 9th grade,undefeated JV 10th grade and we all know what happened last year.This will be a good year.