DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

Daggonit Maroonandgrey, why you got to whiz on everything I got to say. Don't make me call VolMan. OK yes, you own the area. You happy? DHead. All right here's the deal. You embarassed us in '06. There I said it. But we didn't go home and cry. We are knocking on the door and in '08 we might just 'bust it down. One way or another we gonna get your respect. And when we do get there you gonna go too...and sit between me and VolMan. We got the Cigars. Chump.

CPUMAN,

I enjoy your post and I am just poking at you and trying to stir the pot like we all do. But, you said South did not go home and cry in 2006. I might be wrong, but I understood that South cancelled either the JV and/or freshman game or games that were to follow days after. Is this true? I could not imagine DB wanting to do so. If this is true as I think I remember correctly, and knowing the game was not called off on DB's side; how would you explain South's actions after the 44-0 victory over South in 2006?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPUMAN,

I enjoy your post and I am just poking at you and trying to stir the pot like we all do. But, you said South did not go home and cry in 2006. I might be wrong, but I understood that South cancelled either the JV and/or freshman game or games that were to follow days after. Is this true? I could not imagine DB wanting to do so. If this is true as I think I remember correctly, and knowing the game was not called off on DB's side; how would you explain South's actions after the 44-0 victory over South in 2006?

I tell you this Bud...and just for the record, I respect your presence on here, but it was not Stacy's doing. Nor any other coach or the players for that matter. Yes, there were some parents that felt it the best thing. Some, not many, felt we were playing out of our league and after the multitude of injuries we suffered in that game we were licking our wounds for 3 weeks...and lost 2 for the season. And yes, we very well may have been (playing out of our league), but it was essential for the maturity of our program. You say, "Well after 28 years shouldn't your program have had time to mature? And you know as well as others that Stacy has breathed new life into our program. So from that point of view...we are brand new and we have finally found our way. Heard our calling. Seen the light. So in that light, we need to play you. To measure up. Faithful Southers will chastise me for snuggling up to you. Bottom line is, I'm a hardliner and I feel Stacy is as well and the sooner the rest of the 'Heights get on board the sooner we become a force. So to answer your question, yes we canceled the games. And I say that with gritted teeth for if I have taught my son anything it is to never...and I mean never give up the ship. So when I say we did not go home and cry, I am speaking of the people that have the stones to push this thing forward. Hey, it's only a game right? But as we all know it is so much more than that. And despite what Maroonandgrey says I think the Indians feel this way also. We took our show, patched it up, and traveled to the 'Castle with a new vengence. We learned a hard lesson in '06. And that is, it takes so much more than raw talent to play at the top. We both know that '06 was the most talent both schools have had in quite some time. We both should have gone the distance. But, as I say talent is not everything and the '08 Rebels will prove just that. Stacy is top shelf. A little stubborn but everybody has issues. Graham doesn't wear socks. Whatever. So in retrospect, I feel it was a mistake to cancel the Frosh and the JV games. It was cowardly. But the people that are the fire of our program were forced to take their medicine and so be it. It won't be corrected until the game is reinstated. If it were my decision (and some people are thinking, "Thank goodness it's not") we would already be playing up to 5A. Racing improves the breed correct? Gentlemen...start your engines.

Daggonit Maroonandgrey, why you got to whiz on everything I got to say. Don't make me call VolMan. OK yes, you own the area. You happy? DHead. All right here's the deal. You embarassed us in '06. There I said it. But we didn't go home and cry. We are knocking on the door and in '08 we might just 'bust it down. One way or another we gonna get your respect. And when we do get there you gonna go too...and sit between me and VolMan. We got the Cigars. Chump.

I don't smoke. FYI: I've plunked down a few bucks to attend games at South even when they weren't playing DB and it hasn't bothered me one bit to drop a few bucks on a ticket, food and drink for the county bretheren. And unlike people that come to J Fred, I don't complain about the awful restroom situation there...oh I just did /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Hey you have a total respect from this poster. You know more about the history of the area sports scene as good as anybody save Skunk. I know you have a kid that plays for South and you are in the know alot more than I am. I have a job that prevents me from attending every practice. I just go to the games. Heck all I know is the few years I have lived and the games I have attended...not who QB'd for DB in '71. And never once did this poster rub in the '06 game...I merely have pointed out that it was the most over hyped game before it ever got played and it was all but given that game was the crowning of #10 and crew...they forgot that the Gman and Catfish have won a game or 2 against some pretty good teams. The DB/South game is not happening (SOUTH'S DECISION!) so instead of beating that drum ad nauseum, just play the games you decided to play and get ready for the playoffs. Heck, I said it last year that the best way to beat DB was not schedule them and then claim you'd have won /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I tell you this Bud...and just for the record, I respect your presence on here, but it was not Stacy's doing. Nor any other coach or the players for that matter. Yes, there were some parents that felt it the best thing. Some, not many, felt we were playing out of our league and after the multitude of injuries we suffered in that game we were licking our wounds for 3 weeks...and lost 2 for the season. And yes, we very well may have been (playing out of our league), but it was essential for the maturity of our program. You say, "Well after 28 years shouldn't your program have had time to mature? And you know as well as others that Stacy has breathed new life into our program. So from that point of view...we are brand new and we have finally found our way. Heard our calling. Seen the light. So in that light, we need to play you. To measure up. Faithful Southers will chastise me for snuggling up to you. Bottom line is, I'm a hardliner and I feel Stacy is as well and the sooner the rest of the 'Heights get on board the sooner we become a force. So to answer your question, yes we canceled the games. And I say that with gritted teeth for if I have taught my son anything it is to never...and I mean never give up the ship. So when I say we did not go home and cry, I am speaking of the people that have the stones to push this thing forward. Hey, it's only a game right? But as we all know it is so much more than that. And despite what Maroonandgrey says I think the Indians feel this way also. We took our show, patched it up, and traveled to the 'Castle with a new vengence. We learned a hard lesson in '06. And that is, it takes so much more than raw talent to play at the top. We both know that '06 was the most talent both schools have had in quite some time. We both should have gone the distance. But, as I say talent is not everything and the '08 Rebels will prove just that. Stacy is top shelf. A little stubborn but everybody has issues. Graham doesn't wear socks. Whatever. So in retrospect, I feel it was a mistake to cancel the Frosh and the JV games. It was cowardly. But the people that are the fire of our program were forced to take their medicine and so be it. It won't be corrected until the game is reinstated. If it were my decision (and some people are thinking, "Thank goodness it's not") we would already be playing up to 5A. Racing improves the breed correct? Gentlemen...start your engines.

Well said compusatman. I appreciate your response.

I don't smoke. FYI: I've plunked down a few bucks to attend games at South even when they weren't playing DB and it hasn't bothered me one bit to drop a few bucks on a ticket, food and drink for the county bretheren. And unlike people that come to J Fred, I don't complain about the awful restroom situation there...oh I just did /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Hey you have a total respect from this poster. You know more about the history of the area sports scene as good as anybody save Skunk. I know you have a kid that plays for South and you are in the know alot more than I am. I have a job that prevents me from attending every practice. I just go to the games. Heck all I know is the few years I have lived and the games I have attended...not who QB'd for DB in '71. And never once did this poster rub in the '06 game...I merely have pointed out that it was the most over hyped game before it ever got played and it was all but given that game was the crowning of #10 and crew...they forgot that the Gman and Catfish have won a game or 2 against some pretty good teams. The DB/South game is not happening (SOUTH'S DECISION!) so instead of beating that drum ad nauseum, just play the games you decided to play and get ready for the playoffs. Heck, I said it last year that the best way to beat DB was not schedule them and then claim you'd have won /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Heck, I said it last year that the best way to beat DB was not schedule them and then claim you'd have won /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />Your a butt. Butt at least you live in the 'Heights.

Im not throwin south under the bus or anything, but im tired of hearin how great south will be every year and always have south supporters coming on here to tell us about it. If we were playing you all i might care but since stacy was tired of gettin his butt kicked i dont, every now and then a great player moves into this region and fortunate enough he landed in souths lap. We play good programs in Oak Ridge, Bearden, and schedule good non conference games like William Blount even MBA in yrs past, while south plays all the weak local teams around here and runs its up on them, then only has to beat Greenville to advance to the semis, we dont care get over it, you wanna win some respect talk stacy into a scrimmage this summer.

Heck, I said it last year that the best way to beat DB was not schedule them and then claim you'd have won /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />Your a butt. Butt at least you live in the 'Heights.

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Loved or hated that's us

You bring up an interesting point that I really haven't heard anyone talk about. How does the speed of the players on Field Turf compare to natural grass? Has anyone even studied it? Would more speed give an advantage to the offense? Will it allow Chris Sensabaugh to make his cuts quicker? What are your thoughts?

I think Crawford is 18 for 22 in the stolen base dept and 2 of those 4 outs came on the new turf I know. Honestly this aint your father's artificial turf and just from standing and jogging on it it would seem very spongy and slower than grass. All you have to do is take a look at a bunt and watch it die and see the turf absorbs energy...i.e. speed. That is kind of what it was designed to do I guess, absorb force. Anybody got any physics on it is more than welcome to straighten me out but that is what I have personally observed watching the baseball team.

I think Crawford is 18 for 22 in the stolen base dept and 2 of those 4 outs came on the new turf I know. Honestly this aint your father's artificial turf and just from standing and jogging on it it would seem very spongy and slower than grass. All you have to do is take a look at a bunt and watch it die and see the turf absorbs energy...i.e. speed. That is kind of what it was designed to do I guess, absorb force. Anybody got any physics on it is more than welcome to straighten me out but that is what I have personally observed watching the baseball team.

I looked at the Field Turf website and saw some testimonials on there from some well known players and coaches. Some actually said that it was faster than natural grass and allowed for quicker cuts. They also mentioned that statistically there are fewer injuries than on natural grass, which is always good news. They are even starting to use this stuff on golf courses. It's fieldturf.com if you want to take a look for yourself.

- Can someone help us Halls fans know what to expect in Friday's scrimmage? Who are the big guns to look at (what # and position)? Also, who do you have out due to track/baseball/soccer? Our players are not allowed to participate in spring practice at all until their respective sports are over. If interested, see a list of non-participating players we have on the Halls thread. Finally, should we expect a butt kicking like we took two years ago?