DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

- Can someone help us Halls fans know what to expect in Friday's scrimmage? Who are the big guns to look at (what # and position)? Also, who do you have out due to track/baseball/soccer? Our players are not allowed to participate in spring practice at all until their respective sports are over. If interested, see a list of non-participating players we have on the Halls thread. Finally, should we expect a butt kicking like we took two years ago?

The horse from last year, Sensabaugh, is still in track. A couple of other runners that should see some playing time are Steele and Hoover. The baseball season is over but my understanding the players have the option of coming to football. The starting QB (Crawford) was the starting SS. 3-4 other baseball players should see some playing time next year too. There is even 1 or 2 playing soccer. A couple of starters are recovering from injuries and are not out for practice. IMO, you should see 14-16 starters with plenty of talent in a lot of the 2nd string positions. This team should be better than last, but not sure as good as 2 years ago. Not playing many players last year, it looks like they are trying guys at some different positions. The scrimmage will be good an experiment.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks DBWATCHDOG for the info.

- Looks like both teams will be using mainly backups. We (Halls) should have our starting O-line (Big tackle is injured, but plans to play) and possible starting linebackers. Db's look really thin (scrimmage starters may find themselves deep on the depth chart - maybe as low as 4 or 5). Expect to see DB throw the ball with success Friday.

Thanks DBWATCHDOG for the info.

- Looks like both teams will be using mainly backups. We (Halls) should have our starting O-line (Big tackle is injured, but plans to play) and possible starting linebackers. Db's look really thin (scrimmage starters may find themselves deep on the depth chart - maybe as low as 4 or 5). Expect to see DB throw the ball with success Friday.

Ironman,

If you get a chance Friday night, we would appreciate it if you could give your assessment to the DB fans that won't be driving to Knoxville. Thanks.

The horse from last year, Sensabaugh, is still in track. A couple of other runners that should see some playing time are Steele and Hoover. The baseball season is over but my understanding the players have the option of coming to football. The starting QB (Crawford) was the starting SS. 3-4 other baseball players should see some playing time next year too. There is even 1 or 2 playing soccer. A couple of starters are recovering from injuries and are not out for practice. IMO, you should see 14-16 starters with plenty of talent in a lot of the 2nd string positions. This team should be better than last, but not sure as good as 2 years ago. Not playing many players last year, it looks like they are trying guys at some different positions. The scrimmage will be good an experiment.

So much for "1-2 still playing soccer".

I'm disappointed about this message board no one is nearly excited enough about DB football. I'll tell you how practice is going #15 mark irwin has some skill and will be playing tail back in the scrimmage, Lawson will be at fullback and linebacker, Bateman will be at end like last year. Most of our line will be there except Tilden Flemming who is one heck of a player. Sylvester will be at wide reicever and some tailback. Roop at QB but will be replaced with Crawford when he gets back. Hoover is not gonna be a go to reciever. Templeton at tight end and linebacker. Edwards is hurt. Conley the new kid is not the athlete he was made out to be but will provide help on o and d line. The linemen for d and o are Bateman, Carter, Tompkins, Church, Bowyer, Hanson, Collins, Conley, and thats about as deep as they go, till Flemming gets back. Steele, Sensabaugh, Crawford, Doran, Flemming, Micheals, are most of the key players that are still out. Once everyone gets back look for the tribe to roll baby. Look for an exciting, hard hitting, fun scrimmage. The Indians are coming to Halls to get better and thats what they will do.

Good luck to both teams. Get excited about the Indians this year people cause they are the real deal.

ROLL TRIBE

- Overall scrimmage was about what you would expect at this point. Both teams moved the ball and did some positive things, then would turn around and shoot themselves in the foot.

- #2 for DB made some good runs, one really nice one when it looked like he was hit for a loss (bounced out for about 30+ yards.

- QB made some really nice throws and ran the option real well.

- Line of scrimmage seemed about even for both sides.

I'll try to offer more info. after I eat some supper. Good look to DB this year and hope we can give you a good scrimmage in August.

Went and watched the scrimmage and Clark is playing on trying to win with about 15 players again this year. I saw some very tired boys out on the field today.

Do you think that is a fair statement seeing as how some of the better players were not available to play?

I have been one of Clark'ss biggest critics at times but last year he showed me what a good head coach he really is. He and the rest of the staff took a "not very good" football team and made them a "good" football team by the first game and a "very good" team by the end of the year. If he wants to use 15 players or 30 players its fine with me. If he's winning games then he's doing it right. This is not Up-Ward football we're playing in high school. I think he tries to put his best players on the field. Thats a good thing. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think this could be DB's best backfield in many many years with Crawford, Sensabaugh and Lawson. What about Steele, where will he be playing? He needs to be out there somewhere. Its going to be interesting with Sylvester at wide receiver. He's got good hands & speed, yards after catch should be very good. I here Sensabaugh has improved his speed. .............SCARY!

I have been one of Clark'ss biggest critics at times but last year he showed me what a good head coach he really is. He and the rest of the staff took a "not very good" football team and made them a "good" football team by the first game and a "very good" team by the end of the year. If he wants to use 15 players or 30 players its fine with me. If he's winning games then he's doing it right. This is not Up-Ward football we're playing in high school. I think he tries to put his best players on the field. Thats a good thing. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think you're right Waco. All coaches want to win. And they all will put the players on the field that they think gives them the best chance to win, no matter how many kids get to play. I recall when Coach Pearl shook up the UT lineup before going into the NCAA tourney. When asked why he did it, he replied, "I want to put my 5 best players on the floor because they give us the best chance to win".