Sullivan South

If South had won the 2006 game, it would not have been a "once-and-for-all stomping."

Though it has been a while, the mighty Indians have been stomped by the Rebels before. I do agree that the series has not been nearly as competitive the last 10-12 years as it was the first 15 years. I also agree that DB needed to shake up their schedule, because they are a true testament to the statement - "Regular season wins do not equal playoff wins."

I would like to make a suggestion to the South folks to help you get over your obvious DB hangover. A good non-conference game to add to your schedule would be an annual meeting against perennial Virginia power Gate City. Both schools have comparable enrollments and good football traditions. This interstate game would pack the stands every year (more than the SH game) and put lots of revenue into the coffers of both schools. Who knows, it could even develop into an annual rivalry. It would also allow both teams to play tough competition before the state playoffs. Heck, I would pay to see it and I'm not a fan of either school.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to make a suggestion to the South folks to help you get over your obvious DB hangover. A good non-conference game to add to your schedule would be an annual meeting against perennial Virginia power Gate City. Both schools have comparable enrollments and good football traditions. This interstate game would pack the stands every year (more than the SH game) and put lots of revenue into the coffers of both schools. Who knows, it could even develop into an annual rivalry. It would also allow both teams to play tough competition before the state playoffs. Heck, I would pay to see it and I'm not a fan of either school.

Good suggestion.

Hello '04. A refreshing voice.

The scrimmage actually did not go very well IMO except defense. The D looked very good. We did not catch the ball and did not run that well considering the horses we have. But it was spring drill and there are no expectatons. Two weeks of practice is not enough to do much but get people hurt. We have tremendous potential as do the Vikings but it will be late August before we see a directive.

If I were a 'Topper I would be a stirred up hornets nest. But they have issues to resolve and what they will bring is anyones guess. I for one don't want to discount them but I know they will not get much respect until they dig in.

Not much talk from Bristol...have you just reloaded?

I haven't heard anything this year regarding the Vikings. Last year ended on such a sour note that it was initially difficult to think about the 2008 season. It was a jekyll and hyde season when it came to effort and motivation.

I'm more optimistic about the offense. Canty, Harmon, Shepard, Pendleton, King, and Young should be returning on offense at skill positions.

I'm uncertain about the Viking defense. I know they lost a great front four. Bible and Dickerson will be hard to replace. The defense will be thrown into the fire early on in Week 0.

I wouldn't expect the "Cherry Pickin" Blus Devils to play you if your "up" and their "down". Example: They wouldn't of played you the past two years, and they wouldn't of played you this year. They call it smart scheduling over there.

Weren't they state runner-up this year?

I haven't heard anything this year regarding the Vikings. Last year ended on such a sour note that it was initially difficult to think about the 2008 season. It was a jekyll and hyde season when it came to effort and motivation.

I'm more optimistic about the offense. Canty, Harmon, Shepard, Pendleton, King, and Young should be returning on offense at skill positions.

I'm uncertain about the Viking defense. I know they lost a great front four. Bible and Dickerson will be hard to replace. The defense will be thrown into the fire early on in Week 0.

I love your picture at the end of the post!

What a great tradition of accomplishment at THS (2 state titles and 1 national title) vs a lot of talk from D-B, South, etc. I have not seen a backfield comparable to the Four Norse Horsemen over the past 30 years (Bibee, Silcox, Heath, and Kyle).

THS is truly the NET version of Titletown.

"IF" it is true that DB withheld tickets then those not being able to get tickets should be grateful they didn't have to witness the slauter. By the way, I don't remember, was this game a sellout?

The '06 game was built up by South to be "THE GAME". They were going to "STOMP" DB once and for all. One of two things happened. They were going to pull a Greenville (first win over DB in 32 yrs.), win the game and then cancel the series thus giving them bragging rights from now on, or they got mad because they got beat so bad (45-0) and decited not to play again. Either way I like the fact that DB replaced South with William Blount as we can expect a tough game every year instead of every 5 years. Even a loss to WB in regular season is better than a easy win over South. I know it makes you South fans mad to here this, but you know its true.

As always, there are some bits of value in your posts. The '06 game was not built up by South at all. There may have been a few posters on this site who promoted that but that was just blogging. The '06 campaign was the best opportunity in recent memory for D-B to go way deep in the 5A playoffs. They simply choked it away against W-B in the opening round. Unfortunate, but that happens sometimes. I do agree wholeheartedly that D-B is benefited by playing tougher competition and dropping SS and that SS is benefited by playing SHHS who they have a chance to beat. I say good riddance to the series. Neither team really needs it as much as the Kool Aid drinkers who frequent this message board.

One last thing. I hope this is my last comment on the great hypothetical matches of the world of sports: Palmer - Woods, Unitas - Manning, Bird - Lebron, Pele - Beckham, Sullivan South '07 - D-B '07. Waco, you and others of your D-B ilk are simply jealous of the coverage and hype around the Rebels the last few years. D-B has been used to being the top story in HS football in the area. That has been supplanted over the past two years by SS and the Curt Phillips story. The root cause of a lot of this venom is simple jealousy. We don't need that! Give SS and Curt their due and let's move on.

I really like your post etfan. Dead on more often then not. One thing I wanted to point out is that most DB fans are proud of South and Curt. Not jealous of any coverage because god knows we need some teams in upper east tennessee than can play up a notch or two from the norm. That is one thing that kills all our teams in the playoffs is the lower level of football played in upper east tennessee. DB fans are just tired of hearing well if we had played in 2007 yada yada. And maybe South would have won, but given the history, that claim of a pretend victory stirs the pot. I know you can understand that. Jealousy? No, you are wrong on that. No way DB is jealous of South.

And you also said the 2006 game was not built up by South at all. Very untrue. Both schools built it up that year. Both schools thought that the other had the ability to win. South had a mass of tshirts made that upset DB fans well before the game. We all know that South fans love to cruise the DB parking lot right after school. That year had 3 times the amount of South fans as any year before. Actually, that was part of the problem and reason they don't play now. The potential for it to get out of hand. The 2006 game was built up by both schools more than any other year.

What a great tradition of accomplishment at THS (2 state titles and 1 national title) vs a lot of talk from D-B, South, etc. I have not seen a backfield comparable to the Four Norse Horsemen over the past 30 years (Bibee, Silcox, Heath, and Kyle).

The DB fans are not allowed to mention any of our past champions or accomplishments in sports. Its always dismissed by by people like you and your "ilk" as living in the past. Funny how you would bring up past champions at Tennessee High. Funny how you claim there's alot of talk on DB & South's part vs. Tennessee High. How long has it been since Tn. High won a game against DB? Something like 15 yrs, ? South has won over Tn. High 2 yrs. in a row now. Where is your head at? Tradition? Isn't DB the winningest Football school in the state?

Futher more you showed your ignorance to East Tn. football when you said DB choked in the loss to William Blount. Everybody knows William Blount is one of the best 5A teams in East Tn. And last, I don't even know what your talking about the coverage of South vs. DB. I never noticed South getting more coverage.

Thanks. Heath is in the picture. I thought it was a neat way of connecting the past with the present.