Same old Story

Indian

Yeah...that's true. Let's just make it from the 9th grade on. How many start in those schools in the 9th grade? Is there an appreciable difference between aid and non-aid schools with those parameters?

Also...I wonder how many Goodpasture baseball and softball players have been at that school since kindergarten...or even since junior high?

That probably differs from year to year. My daughter graduated from high school in 2003. I know when we played against Goodpasture at that time, most of those girls had been there (at GP) since grade school. I suspect that Goodpasture's tradition attracts a lot of young elementary girls who aspire to play softball at the highest levels. That doesn't mean they all pan out as superstars, but a lot of dreams have been planted in young girls' minds by players like Pieroni and the current shortstop (can't remember her name). I bet the same thing happens in communities like Alcoa, South Pittsburg, Maryville, etc., where athletic programs are traditionally strong.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That probably differs from year to year. My daughter graduated from high school in 2003. I know when we played against Goodpasture at that time, most of those girls had been there (at GP) since grade school. I suspect that Goodpasture's tradition attracts a lot of young elementary girls who aspire to play softball at the highest levels. That doesn't mean they all pan out as superstars, but a lot of dreams have been planted in young girls' minds by players like Pieroni and the current shortstop (can't remember her name). I bet the same thing happens in communities like Alcoa, South Pittsburg, Maryville, etc., where athletic programs are traditionally strong.

Do aid schools actually get more athletes because of aid alone? Did GP get their softball and baseball players because of athletic tradition...great school...or what? Or...have they developed 6 title teams (softball) in a row? I'm not saying they didn't. I watched their softball and baseball teams this year. They both are very well coached...

great programs...obviously.

I would think most all of South Pittsburg's players have been there since grade school. I would also think that is the case for Alcoa and Maryville...at least in Blount County. I know there are some that have transferred in during high school. That really wasn't what I was asking.

Yeah...that's true. Let's just make it from the 9th grade on. How many start in those schools in the 9th grade? Is there an appreciable difference between aid and non-aid schools with those parameters?

Also...I wonder how many Goodpasture baseball and softball players have been at that school since kindergarten...or even since junior high?

CPA usually loses a few to BA, MBA and Harpeth Hall when kids reach the grade level where those schools start. I don't know about Goodpasture. I would suspect that they get some students from public schools in junior high but I don't know that for a fact. Several Nashville-area private school will get new students from public schools after 5th grade when middle school starts or after 8th grade when high school starts.

What is your e-mail address? You really need to renew your plus membership...then I wouldn't have to ask. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I want to ask you something. Or...you can e-mail me first at antwan235@yahoo.com

That shortstop (Cartwright) has been at Goodpasture her entire life. Dad graduated there also.

That shortstop (Cartwright) has been at Goodpasture her entire life. Dad graduated there also.

Thanks for the info. No offense to her. I just couldn't think of her name. She's a great player. Has she signed or committed? I believe she has, just can't remember where.

I have found that very often the really great players at the private schools are the ones that have been there since early elementary. There are obviously exceptions, but usually the later transfers (ninth grade and beyond) do not make a huge impact.

Thanks for the info. No offense to her. I just couldn't think of her name. She's a great player. Has she signed or committed? I believe she has, just can't remember where.

I have found that very often the really great players at the private schools are the ones that have been there since early elementary. There are obviously exceptions, but usually the later transfers (ninth grade and beyond) do not make a huge impact.

I heard committed to Auburn.

"If your taxes are paying for seats at the public school - whether you pay for private school tuition or not - you should be allowed to participate with everyone. Maybe one day you'll get past your prejudice."

now let me get this right you send your child to private school for them to be afforded better options than at public school, but still yet you want to compete against them on the sports fields, but your kids are to good to go to school with our kids

When anyone's children attend a private school, that does not imply or suggest that they are too good to go to school with public school kids. That statement suggests either extreme prejudice or just plain stupidity. I hope to God you don't actually officiate games as you handle suggests. Almost all parents of children of private schools are not thinking anything about athletics when they make a decision to send their child to private school. Many times it is a spiritual decision. It is an educational decision. You do the same thing in other aspects of your life same as they do. You make decisions as do all the posters on this thread which is in your or your family's best interest. You don't buy your children junk if you can afford something better. And you and many others have overspent their budgets in the best interest of their children. The only issue on any of the public-private threads is a difference of opinion about what is best for their child. Surely, sports alone would not fuel the acid statements, the insensitivity that has been displayed on these threads in the past. This is not to say that there are not some very good students and people in public schools. But the reason for sending my child to private school has nothing to do with any of the above statements. It was and is a spiritual decision, not based on sports, not based on anything but that and that alone. In the United States, I am allowed to do that, but it is obvious that if some posters ran this country, you would think like them, agree with them and do what they want or trouble and misery would surely follow. So yes, it is the same ole story, but sports is not really what fuels all this debate. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I would think most all of South Pittsburg's players have been there since grade school. I would also think that is the case for Alcoa and Maryville...at least in Blount County. I know there are some that have transferred in during high school. That really wasn't what I was asking.

Most of South Pittsburg's players come from North Jackson County, Alabama. Go there any day classes are in session and see how many Alabama cars are parked there. It is a well known fact in the area that players move between those schools freely. One year they live with one parent in South Pitt and the next with Uncle Joe in Bridgeport.

Alcoa and Maryville are open enrollment schools. A lot of their stars come from outside of their "zoned" area.

Why is it that you think Alcoa and Maryville can build their tradition from "been there the whole time" students and a private school can't?

Same ole' Antwan.

Most of South Pittsburg's players come from North Jackson County, Alabama. Go there any day classes are in session and see how many Alabama cars are parked there. It is a well known fact in the area that players move between those schools freely. One year they live with one parent in South Pitt and the next with Uncle Joe in Bridgeport.

Alcoa and Maryville are open enrollment schools. A lot of their stars come from outside of their "zoned" area.

Why is it that you think Alcoa and Maryville can build their tradition from "been there the whole time" students and a private school can't?

Same ole' Antwan.

I didn't say that. I know Alcoa...especially...gets out of zone athletes. I do think the number is much less than it used to be. Their advantage comes from a large population base relatively close to the school. I don't think Maryville benefits that much because they play in a larger class.

I also didn't say privates have built their tradition from "not been there the whole time" students. I simply asked if they did...because I don't know for sure. Hence...that's why I asked the question.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of South Pittsburg's players come from North Jackson County, Alabama. Go there any day classes are in session and see how many Alabama cars are parked there. It is a well known fact in the area that players move between those schools freely. One year they live with one parent in South Pitt and the next with Uncle Joe in Bridgeport

Old Pirate says you are as full of it as a Christmas turkey. Talk to your doctor maybe he can recommend soom mental hospital for you.

BigBoy, name "1" that ever played at NJ,Bridgeport or Stevenson.

Old Pirate will monitor this thread. Can't wait to hear from you!

As far as Ala tags, just go thru the projects and see how many you find there.

Useless to talk to a fruit basket.

Since OP was unable to send a private message. OP will post it here.

"Please continue to post garbage, OP will expose you as someone who knows actually very little. OP is not asking for MOST of South Pittsburg's Players, just "1" that moved between schools. SP has lost some to NJ, but has never recieved a player.

SP got back a player that moved to south Ala with his father after completing the eigth grade @ SP. He has 2 brothers at SP,Robert Robinson the senior RB was his oldest. Sources on the golf course tell OP that a starting NJ running back attempted to transfer last year but was denied enrollment by Warden Pratt. He eventually landed @ Scottsboro,Ala..

WAITING.........................................................................

STILL>>>>> WAITING......................................Come on now........ don't be shy......

• 4 weeks later...

Old Pirate says the kids playing @ SP have been together since grade school for the most part. SP has 1 player who lived in Chatt with his mom and came to the hill in the 7th. That kid's older brother was already attending SP. and his dad has lived in SP for years.

OP says the previous poster simply is running his mouth and knows nothing. OP is still.......waiting on his response.