Best HS game ever?

Guest panther09

Central vrs. Oak Ridge 91...I wasn't there but I listened on the radio. Central couldn't stop Shawn Summers and Oak Ridge couldn't stop Todd Helton. The overtimes kept going on and on. I thought it would never end. As good a game as I have ever heard on the radio.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kingston/Rockwood in 91 was a good reg. season game, Kingston won 14-12; Rockwood lost a fumble deep in Kingston territory late in the 4th. 92 wasn't a good game with Rockwood pouring it on 37-6!

I've already mentioned the White House game, but some of my other faves:

Kingston over Marion County 7-6, 1993 3A quarterfinal

Alcoa over Kingston, 22-15, 1989 AA semifinal

Kingston over Sweetwater 22-21, 1991 AA 2nd rd

Kingston over Sweetwater 19-17, 1988 reg season

Kingston over AE, 23-13 1989 AA 1st rd

Kingston over Harriman, 1989 reg season, 21-14 OT

..just to name a few...

[Edited by swamp on 7/25/02 6:47P]

The best game I have seen recently would have to be in 1999 when Maryville played William Blount. It was of course the year Maryville fell apart and was losing to everyone, but the game went into overtime and Maryville scored first and opted to kick the field goal. Well William Blount finally scored and went for the win with the extra point. 5 or 6 times they tried and failed, but flags were thrown on Maryville very time, the 6th or 7th try was successful and no flags were on the field. Maryville fans just stood there stunned as the William Blount fans charged onto the field! I still wonder what happened and how that many penalties in a row could be called on Maryville and none of William Blount. Maybe the refs were favoring Blount, maybe not, oh well its over now and there's nothing I can do!

Hey guys,

Let's just say that we have seen a lot of great games in Tennessee high school football!!! Bradley/Jackson Central Merry in the championship game in 76 in triple overtime has to be at the top of the list. 50-48 Bradley with Scott Kyle scoring 32 points including a fake conversion for 2 points and the win. Everything was on the line in this one!

Guest OHSPAT

What about the `99 quarterfinal game that put the defending state champs Oakland on the road against the state runner-ups Hendersonville at hendersonville. I was at the game but I don`t remember a lot of details. I do remember that the starting quarterback wardell alsup was thrown out of the game for fighting, and Hendersonville had the ball first and Oakland`s defense held and because their qb was gone oakland put their running back desmond rhodes in at qb in a shotgun formation and ran right for the td. That`s all I really remember if anyone else remembers what happened and can tell the story better please do.

Marion County v. Brentwood Ac. in the 1992 AA State Championship.

Brentwood entered the game as defending champs and with a 26 game winning streak. Brentwood was picked to win big by every major newspaper in the state. game started with Brentwood scoring touchdowns on their first two possessions. they maintained the lead until Marion was finally able to tie it up in the fourth quarter and eventually take the lead. game ended with Brentwood being stopped on a two point conversion attempt and seconds later, after recovering an onside kick, Brentwood missed a field goal that would have won the game. the governor issued a written declaration to Marion's team proclaiming it the best game he had ever witnessed.

NOTE: when presented with the runner-up trophy after the game, Brentwood's coaches and players simply headed for the locker room, declining the trophy. later, one of their equipment managers was finally persuaded to take the trophy. (story was published in the Chattanooga Times Free Press)

[Edited by tnaquarius on 7/29/02 8:27P]

1963 Cookeville Civitan Bowl at Tennessee Tech between Knox Powell and South Pittsburg. Knox Powell jumped to a 14 point lead before South Pittsburg got a 1st down. South Pittsburg, led by all-state tailback Rusty Adcock and many others, came back to win 21-14. South Pittsburg was coached by legendary Professor Phil Beene on a bitterly cold night. South Pittsburg assistant Don Grider,later the head coach and father of Vic, wore a short sleeved shirt and ....you get the picture it may not be the best game I ever saw but it is one I will always remember. The dog howls again...,

Well....One of the best I've seen was my senior year(1999-2000)elimination game between Bartlett and Germantown. Pouring rain the entire game and lightning danced in the sky but refs wouldn't call the game.Both teams just battled it out and gave it their all but my Panthers came out on top......(then went on to get creamed by Glencliff)..haha..but that's another story ;)