1A State Poll

piratetom

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it really matters this time of the year, but how is it that the Pirates are not ranked #1 in the first poll of the year. I am not taking anything away from Trousdale because they are a great team, just wanted to get all the Coach T'ers opinions!!

There are several reasons for the ranking, and NONE of them will hold water. How many of these "sports writers" have

even seen SP or TC play? A few locals. You could say the same thing at any point in the season. Neither TC nor SP

has the same exact team as last year. This won't fly either. Current record? SP, 1 - 0...TC, 2 - 0. Possibly, but not worth

much at this point. TC has played & defeated two 3A teams handily, but neither has a record to boast of. This doesn't

cut it either. Tradition; about the same.

My guess is they used a dart board, with a blind fold, and this is just the way it hit.

Polls are good for one thing....BS conversation. UT a great example. How many times was the #1 team in NCAA knocked off last year?

Couldn't keep track of it, week by week.

Bottom line....it's as useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle, and I was as shocked as anyone when I saw it in the Tennessean

this morning.

Maybe they'll change it next week. I don't like the target on the back. LOL

The really strange thing is these guys actually get paid to do this!! Go figure.

Not that it really matters this time of the year, but how is it that the Pirates are not ranked #1 in the first poll of the year. I am not taking anything away from Trousdale because they are a great team, just wanted to get all the Coach T'ers opinions!!

Tom, you know as well as I do that it's not where you rank in September. It's where you rank in December that counts.

I kind of like it though. It gives the kids something to be mad about when they step out onto the field each and every Friday night.

But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with Trousdale having the number 1 spot. I think that SP and TC are the top 2 teams in the state, so let them have the "pressure" that comes with it.

No doubt that Trousdale is better this year at this point than Hampton, but Hampton had the closer game last year.

Football

South Pittsburg Pirates Region 3 TeamsCopper BasinDavid BrainerdGrace Baptist AcademyLookout ValleySilverdale AcademySouth PittsburgWhitwellTemple

South Pittsburg, TN

Team HomeScheduleRosterStats 2007 Schedule Date Opponent Details Result

Fri Aug. 31 at Marion Co. Tournament at Sullivan South W 47-19

Fri Sep. 7 at Copper Basin R W 53-0

Fri Sep. 14 Lookout Valley R W 41-6

Sat Sep. 22 at David Brainerd R W 49-0

Fri Sep. 28 Tyner Academy W 25-21

Fri Oct. 5 Whitwell R W 56-7

Fri Oct. 12 at Boyd Buchanan W 47-7

Fri Oct. 19 at Silverdale Academy R W 52-7

Fri Oct. 26 Temple R W 69-6

Fri Nov. 2 Grace Baptist Academy R W 72-19

Fri Nov. 9 Trousdale Co. 1A Playoff W 32-16

Fri Nov. 16 Friendship Christian 1A Playoff W 49-7

Fri Nov. 23 Gordonsville Class 1A Qtrfinal W 33-13

Fri Nov. 30 Hampton Class 1A Semis W 42-28

Fri Dec. 7 McKenzie N TSSAA 1A State Finals 3:30 at MT Floyd Stadium W 52-20

Analyze this schedule Overall Record: 15-0

Region Record: 7-0

If you are talking about in the playoffs, then Hampton was closer in score (14). TC was by 16. Now that doesnt' necassarily mean Hampton was the toughest in their opinion. The closest game however was Tyner Academy 25-21. That sounds pretty tough. Of course, I wasn't there.

Football

South Pittsburg Pirates Region 3 TeamsCopper BasinDavid BrainerdGrace Baptist AcademyLookout ValleySilverdale AcademySouth PittsburgWhitwellTemple

South Pittsburg, TN

Team HomeScheduleRosterStats 2007 Schedule Date Opponent Details Result

Fri Aug. 31 at Marion Co. Tournament at Sullivan South W 47-19

Fri Sep. 7 at Copper Basin R W 53-0

Fri Sep. 14 Lookout Valley R W 41-6

Sat Sep. 22 at David Brainerd R W 49-0

Fri Sep. 28 Tyner Academy W 25-21

Fri Oct. 5 Whitwell R W 56-7

Fri Oct. 12 at Boyd Buchanan W 47-7

Fri Oct. 19 at Silverdale Academy R W 52-7

Fri Oct. 26 Temple R W 69-6

Fri Nov. 2 Grace Baptist Academy R W 72-19

Fri Nov. 9 Trousdale Co. 1A Playoff W 32-16

Fri Nov. 16 Friendship Christian 1A Playoff W 49-7

Fri Nov. 23 Gordonsville Class 1A Qtrfinal W 33-13

Fri Nov. 30 Hampton Class 1A Semis W 42-28

Fri Dec. 7 McKenzie N TSSAA 1A State Finals 3:30 at MT Floyd Stadium W 52-20

Analyze this schedule Overall Record: 15-0

Region Record: 7-0

If you are talking about in the playoffs, then Hampton was closer in score (14). TC was by 16. Now that doesnt' necassarily mean Hampton was the toughest in their opinion. The closest game however was Tyner Academy 25-21. That sounds pretty tough. Of course, I wasn't there.

I was there. SP won in the last minute. It was a heck of a game. Word is Tyner is better this year. I dont know if they are on the schedule this year for SP. If so it could be a problem for SP.

Gives SP something to consider. It wont be a cakewalk this year come playoffs. I think that was the message. No doubt SP has a great team,,,, but. So does TC. If both stay healthy, it will be a heck of a game. It may be on the Creekbank this year.

Hopefully everyone already knows that. I think that everyone down here knew that TC was a little young last year but they gained a ton of experience. They are already proving that they are going to be more than a handful for anyone they face this year.

Who wants to be 1st after one or two weeks? A lot of these teams are influenced by their closeness to large metropolitan areas. Not to say TC and SP aren't the two strongest teams, but some of the other selections are a joke, IMO. I won't offend any ballclub because, with the playoff system in place, it all gets sorted out in the end anyhow. We'll have to see how it all pans out, but I will make this observation......the strongest group of teams is in the East. (TC, SP, Oneida, Midway, Hampton) I know TC is in the middle, but their bracket runs them through the East.....so?!?! Polls.....who knows? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Kazzy

I think the sleeper team in 1A is Oneida. They were one of the top programs in the state back in the days of Coach May and it looks as if they have another legend in the making in Tony Lambert. He has been a winner everywhere he has coached and I see this as a breakout year for his Indians. Oneida hosts former Oneida assistant Rock Henry and Coalfield this week. It won't be close. Oneida has superior talent and Coach Henry will be outmatched going against Lambert. Go Indians!