Alcouh vs. Countee Teems Part II

STARSNBARS

Thair iz a enterestin' articull in the Daily Times about Alcouh droppin' tha county skools in all sports cents tha countee skools won't play them in footbawl.....Tha "grindin" continues....... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thair iz a enterestin' articull in the Daily Times about Alcouh droppin' tha county skools in all sports cents tha countee skools won't play them in footbawl.....Tha "grindin" continues.......

I have nothing to say.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

There's a first huh?

The Fishwrap

I have nothing to say.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

There's a first huh?

The Fishwrap

They have every right to drop them. I hope the county leaders take notice anf put them back on the schedule for football. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Well, I knew this was coming. The county school are being ignorant of the facts. If WB & Alcoa would have played last year there would have been 7000 to 9000 people at that game. MAYBE MORE WHO KNOWS. In the paper WB athletic director said that other teams bring as many fans as Alcoa. I find that very hard to believe. Does travel expense get figured in as well? This whole thing seems very silly to me. It just doesn't make sense..... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Going forward.... (ignoring the past)....

IF the win/loss record matters in the wild card selection process for the playoffs next year (the article quotes head coach Wilhite from WBHS saying that non-district wins & losses do matter next year), then I understand why WB & HHS won't play Alcoa in football. It could hurt their chances for making the playoffs if they got beat.

Moreover, if the win/loss record matters for the wild card selection process, more teams will be padding their schedules over the next couple of years to insure wins in the non-district games (like Ohio St. does in college). No one will be playing Alcoa in a non-district game except those who think they might never need a wild card spot.

Say goodbye to tough rivalry games (if this is the case)....(but, I'm not sure it is the case).

Maybe, someone else knows for sure regarding the wins and losses in non-district games "counting" in some way toward the wild card spots. If this is the case, then I think TSSAA has a major problem. If so, why would anyone schedule a non-district opponent that might beat them?

IF the win/loss record matters in the wild card selection process for the playoffs next year (the article quotes head coach Wilhite from WBHS saying that non-district wins & losses do matter next year), then I understand why WB & HHS won't play Alcoa in football. It could hurt their chances for making the playoffs if they got beat.

Moreover, if the win/loss record matters for the wild card selection process, more teams will be padding their schedules over the next couple of years to insure wins in the non-district games (like Ohio St. does in college). No one will be playing Alcoa in a non-district game except those who think they might never need a wild card spot.

Say goodbye to tough rivalry games (if this is the case)....(but, I'm not sure it is the case).

Maybe, someone else knows for sure regarding the wins and losses in non-district games "counting" in some way toward the wild card spots. If this is the case, then I think TSSAA has a major problem. If so, why would anyone schedule a non-district opponent that might beat them?

Old2,

Good post. And begrudingly, I have to agree that there is some logic in not scheduling Alcoa if indeed those two out of region games will have some type of input on the play-off implications of the teams.

But I hate it. It makes us (WB & Heritage) look bad. And unfortunately, the ones who bear the brunt of the decision as far as being ridiculed and scorned, are not the ones who are responsible for making the decision. A few guys get together and make the decision over lunch and our entire community (especially students) gets labeled as being "scared to play" the Tornadoes.

I cannot blame Alcoa for threatening to drop us in everything else. I hope it doesn't come to that though. I've been more involved in basketball the past few years and the Govs and Tornadoes have played some great games during that time.

It's just one of those things. Alcoa benefits greatly from playing and potentially beating Heritage and/or William Blount, and Heritage and William Blount look ridiculous if they lose, or if they win, people will say "well you should have won, your a 5A team, and they are 2A." It's a win/win for Alcoa, lose/lose for WB and Heritage.

Just move on Alcoa, if they don't want to play in football, then they don't want to play. That's all there is to it. Will it even hurt WB or Heritage if they drop Alcoa from their other sports schedules?

OldRebel2, wif all that bein' said ewe don't expect Mairvul two drop Alcouh, do yee????..... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

This is very sad for the players and Blount County football......and possibly other sports.

If Heritage's Coach Rewis does not know why the schools do not play, when the decision must be coming from higher up?

Coach Meadows can not have a issue with Coach Reid, because he has been gone three years?

Someone other than the coaches, players and supporters needs to be run out of Blount County. Who it is, I am not sure?

It's just one of those things. Alcoa benefits greatly from playing and potentially beating Heritage and/or William Blount, and Heritage and William Blount look ridiculous if they lose, or if they win, people will say "well you should have won, your a 5A team, and they are 2A." It's a win/win for Alcoa, lose/lose for WB and Heritage.

Just move on Alcoa, if they don't want to play in football, then they don't want to play. That's all there is to it. Will it even hurt WB or Heritage if they drop Alcoa from their other sports schedules?

You seem to forget that Alcoa isn't just any 2A school, you beat Alcoa now and I bet it gets you good press, even if they are 2A. There is something to be said for betting a team with 4 straight championships. We aren't talking sweetwater, CAK, or Wartburg.

I'm not sur eof the politics behind this crap, but it's sad. The kids want to play each other in all sports and they should do it in football as well. A drop of all competition takes Alcoa wrestling from the Blount County tournament, effects the basketball games and not sure of the other sports. I would hate to see that and I would like to see how WB seymour would bring in more money than Alcoa/WB last year.

OldRebel2, wif all that bein' said ewe don't expect Mairvul two drop Alcouh, do yee????..... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Probably not because too much gate money (and tradition) is involved. In this rivalry game, regardless who wins, Maryville & Alcoa both expect to make the playoffs without needing the wild card spot....so for now they'll play each other.

Other teams who might play Alcoa or Maryville might need the wild card spot and, therefore, would think differently. So if wins/losses count toward wild card spots, look for more teams to approach tough non-district games this same way.

Probably not because too much gate money (and tradition) is involved. In this rivalry game, regardless who wins, Maryville & Alcoa both expect to make the playoffs without needing the wild card spot....so for now they'll play each other.

Other teams who might play Alcoa or Maryville might need the wild card spot and, therefore, would think differently. So if wins/losses count toward wild card spots, look for more teams to approach tough non-district games this same way.

If wins effect the wildcard then I know a lot of schools that will be begged to come play games. I don't know why non-district, non-region games would effect the playoffs.