big 9 basketball

unc1

And the girls game goes into overtime...wonderful.

Interesting Stat:

(brought to you by tricitiessportsfan)

Lady Vikings 59

Lady Rebels 57

Final/OT

Danielle Montgomery, UMass signee, took a dribble drive right by Sullivan South's star Mackenzie Campbell, down the left side of the paint, for the game winning lay up.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee High 50

Sullivan South 46

Final

This game was not as close as the score indicates. Tennessee High looked good out of the gate. Young was distributing the ball well, Webb was efficient, Gilmore was hitting the three ball, and Canty was maintaining the paint. Sullivan South, on the other hand, came out of the gate slow, letting the Vikings dictate the flow of the game, reacting more than creating. Turnovers and bad shot selection dug a big hole for the Rebels by the end of the first, 22-6. Tennessee High let off the throttle, however, in the second. The Vikings suddenly went very cold from the field, going a little over four minutes without a bucket. The inside game seemed to become nonexistent, as the Viking guards stopped feeding Canty the ball down low. During that four minute cold streak, the Rebels went on an 8-0 run to draw the score to 22-14 half way through the period. Sullivan South would go on to outscore Tennessee High 13-4 in the quarter and cut their deficit to seven points at half, 26-19. Sims, for the Rebels, was the only bright spot in the first half, scoring 12 of Sullivan South's 19 first half points. Blair was a non-factor in the first half, being called for two quick fouls in the first quarter and a third not long into his floor time in the second.

Out of the locker room, Tennessee High took off again, this time solely on the back of Canty down low. Canty did what he wanted in the paint for most of the third, with Blair on the bench with three fouls. Again, the Rebels looked slow on both sides of the floor, allowing Tennessee High to again dictate the pace of the game. The Vikings zone defense also took its toll on the Rebels offense, affecting shot selection and number of looks. Sullivan South did, however, get a few quick buckets and help from free throws in the last two minutes of the quarter to bring the Viking lead back down to nine points, 38-29. Tennessee High quickly pushed their lead back out to fifteen, at 44-29, on two quick three pointers by Webb and Gilmore at the start of the fourth. Young hit another three around the four minute mark in the quarter and the Vikings put it in neutral and coasted the rest of the way. The game got dicey in the final minutes with the Vikings holding an eleven point advantage. The Rebels had plenty of opportunities late in the fourth to cut the lead down and make it a ball game, but were unable to hit many of these shots until the final minute; hitting a free throw and two three balls in the final forty five seconds, though irrelevant, cutting the final score to 50-46.

Overall, Tennessee High looked like a solid team, not a great team, but a solid ball club. Young, Harmon, Canty, Webb, and Gilmore are a pretty good starting five. The Vikings showed me flashes of brilliance, but then would follow those flashes up with sloppy play, so my opinion is still developing. I am concerned, though, with the abilities of their bench. Cap, maybe you can help me with that. Again, I believe them to be a solid club, who could easily give the Indians or 'Toppers fits. Sullivan South, however, has a very small margin for error and will be fighting an uphill battle all season. Being complacent off the tip and out of the locker room is not an option for a team with little foot speed and no leader. Blair, seemingly being the only physical inside player for the Rebels, can not get into foul trouble or they will get manhandled in the paint like they did tonight. A team that shoots the ball well will be able handle the Rebels.

rebelrebelman, did you make it up to Bristol tonight?

Tonight's Big 9 Conference Scoreboard:

Tennessee High 50, Sullivan South 46

Sullivan Central 73, David Crockett 58

Big 9 Conference Schedule - Thursday, December 4

No Games Scheduled

Big 9 Conference Schedule - Friday, December 5

David Crockett @ Dobyns Bennett

Sullivan East @ Tennessee High

Daniel Boone @ Sullivan South

Volunteer @ Cherokee

Walton, GA @ Science Hill

tricitiessportsfan Picks:

Dobyns Bennett over David Crockett

Tennessee High over Sullivan East

Sullivan South over Daniel Boone

tricitiessportsfan Pick'em record: 4-1

Tennessee High 50

Sullivan South 46

Final

This game was not as close as the score indicates. Tennessee High looked good out of the gate. Young was distributing the ball well, Webb was efficient, Gilmore was hitting the three ball, and Canty was maintaining the paint. Sullivan South, on the other hand, came out of the gate slow, letting the Vikings dictate the flow of the game, reacting more than creating. Turnovers and bad shot selection dug a big hole for the Rebels by the end of the first, 22-6. Tennessee High let off the throttle, however, in the second. The Vikings suddenly went very cold from the field, going a little over four minutes without a bucket. The inside game seemed to become nonexistent, as the Viking guards stopped feeding Canty the ball down low. During that four minute cold streak, the Rebels went on an 8-0 run to draw the score to 22-14 half way through the period. Sullivan South would go on to outscore Tennessee High 13-4 in the quarter and cut their deficit to seven points at half, 26-19. Sims, for the Rebels, was the only bright spot in the first half, scoring 12 of Sullivan South's 19 first half points. Blair was a non-factor in the first half, being called for two quick fouls in the first quarter and a third not long into his floor time in the second.

Out of the locker room, Tennessee High took off again, this time solely on the back of Canty down low. Canty did what he wanted in the paint for most of the third, with Blair on the bench with three fouls. Again, the Rebels looked slow on both sides of the floor, allowing Tennessee High to again dictate the pace of the game. The Vikings zone defense also took its toll on the Rebels offense, affecting shot selection and number of looks. Sullivan South did, however, get a few quick buckets and help from free throws in the last two minutes of the quarter to bring the Viking lead back down to nine points, 38-29. Tennessee High quickly pushed their lead back out to fifteen, at 44-29, on two quick three pointers by Webb and Gilmore at the start of the fourth. Young hit another three around the four minute mark in the quarter and the Vikings put it in neutral and coasted the rest of the way. The game got dicey in the final minutes with the Vikings holding an eleven point advantage. The Rebels had plenty of opportunities late in the fourth to cut the lead down and make it a ball game, but were unable to hit many of these shots until the final minute; hitting a free throw and two three balls in the final forty five seconds, though irrelevant, cutting the final score to 50-46.

Overall, Tennessee High looked like a solid team, not a great team, but a solid ball club. Young, Harmon, Canty, Webb, and Gilmore are a pretty good starting five. The Vikings showed me flashes of brilliance, but then would follow those flashes up with sloppy play, so my opinion is still developing. I am concerned, though, with the abilities of their bench. Cap, maybe you can help me with that. Again, I believe them to be a solid club, who could easily give the Indians or 'Toppers fits. Sullivan South, however, has a very small margin for error and will be fighting an uphill battle all season. Being complacent off the tip and out of the locker room is not an option for a team with little foot speed and no leader. Blair, seemingly being the only physical inside player for the Rebels, can not get into foul trouble or they will get manhandled in the paint like they did tonight. A team that shoots the ball well will be able handle the Rebels.

Sullivan Central defeated David Crockett, 73-58.

No, I didn't. My apologies, but I was exhausted and the more I thought about that trip to Bristol, the better the Wake Forest-Indiana game sounded (terrible game.) I have a game slated for this weekend, so I figured I could skip tonight. But I was hoping you'd give a thorough game analysis, and well, you delivered. On the money, so kudos /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I know I need to see THS, but I'll catch them in a couple weeks at DB. By the way, that clown who posted about his podcast earlier, c'mon, why does that guy get one and we don't? I was born for podcasting. Get the ball rolling on that one!

By the way, that clown who posted about his podcast earlier, c'mon, why does that guy get one and we don't? I was born for podcasting. Get the ball rolling on that one!

Already talked to a friend who is on the radio about it, we're looking into the essentials for producing a similar showcase. No worries, if we get it set up, I'll let you know. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Already talked to a friend who is on the radio about it, we're looking into the essentials for producing a similar showcase. No worries, if we get it set up, I'll let you know. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well, that's just pretty much awesome. This needs to happen. I'm tellin ya, podcasts are the wave of the future. We gotta cash in on the rush!

Tennessee High 50

Sullivan South 46

Final

Tonight's Big 9 Conference Scoreboard:

Tennessee High 50, Sullivan South 46

Sullivan Central 73, David Crockett 58

Big 9 Conference Schedule - Thursday, December 4

No Games Scheduled

Big 9 Conference Schedule - Friday, December 5

David Crockett @ Dobyns Bennett

Sullivan East @ Tennessee High

Daniel Boone @ Sullivan South

Volunteer @ Cherokee

Walton, GA @ Science Hill

tricitiessportsfan Picks:

Dobyns Bennett over David Crockett

Tennessee High over Sullivan East

Sullivan South over Daniel Boone

After seeing what you saw last night, you are picking South over Boone?? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Hey Volman??¦how about a little ???signature??? bet on the game tonight. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I bet you're glad I didn't see this post until this morning Cap. Because you know I would have talked you into giving me 10 points. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

After seeing what you saw last night, you are picking South over Boone?? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

what do you think about th agaist east and predictions? east by 8, 60 to 52. depends on the guards for east boone by 9 over south, depends on the inside for boone.

You may have to toss him a dozen or more to bait him into a bet like that Cap. : /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I tried to set you up Volman,but I believe Cap is more cautious wagering after his football experience. Sounds like Corey and Canty might be the dynamic duo for the Viking ballers.

Tennessee High 50

Sullivan South 46

Final

I agree with your assessment of the game although as a Viking fan I think you gave us the benefit of the doubt. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> The first quarter to me is how we are going to have to play every game, all game to stay in the top tier of the Big 9 this year. Tricitiesfan you spotted it and most others outside the parents of the players on our team will easily see it also??¦WE HAVE NO BENCH. The momentum slipped away from the Vikings as soon as Coach Witcher started making substitutions. Contrary to what the post season coach??™s report said??¦the Vikings are not ???10 deep with talent???. The fact is that we can barely show the 7 deep that Coach Burns was always famous for. How Coach Witcher utilizes his bench will dictate where we finish??¦but one thing is certain in my mind and that is he will need to leave his starting five in 95% of the time if we intend to give teams like DB, SH, or even Central and Volunteer a game. I would have liked to see Chris Elis get more time because he needs the experience. If Canty gets in foul trouble he will have to be thrown in the fire. Tyler Place is also one I expected to see more of as the first guard off the bench (IMO the top of the underclassman outside of Harmon of course)??¦but I don??™t think he even got in the game last night /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> . Harmon is injured right now and I know that we will get much more production out of him once he??™s 100%. Young looks unfocused and frustrated being the swing man on most of the Vikings plays. I can tell because he was forcing many of his shots. The life of a point guard can be hard on the ego when most people judge your performance on how many points you score. He finally decided to step up and play in the fourth.

On the South side however??¦what is the deal with Ashworth. He didn??™t play much in the game and when he did it looked as if Pendleton was playing him out on the wing. These coaches these days /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> ??¦I don??™t know why some of you give them so much props and credit, and always come to defend them. Wasn??™t Ashworth the leading scorer in the paint for the Rebels last year as a junior?

I've yet to see Daniel Boone, I picked them to beat Sullivan East on Tuesday and was sorely disappointed. Although the Rebels looked average at best last night, I still think they are a mid card in the Big 9. Daniel Boone has only beaten teams from the Watauga Conference, and the scores from those games show close contests. We'll see.

On the South side however??¦what is the deal with Ashworth. He didn??™t play much in the game and when he did it looked as if Pendleton was playing him out on the wing. These coaches these days /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> ??¦I don??™t know why some of you give them so much props and credit, and always come to defend them. Wasn??™t Ashworth the leading scorer in the paint for the Rebels last year as a junior?

He also took 90% of the shots as well!