big 9 basketball

unc1

Hey Volman, just wondering if you a cougar fan?

Nope, I'm a Rebel D and I know you but you don't know me. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> I'm also a poet if you didn't know it. I can make it rhyme every time! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I'm a Rebel D and I know you but you don't know me. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> I'm also a poet if you didn't know it. I can make it rhyme every time! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Dude, JT and I so have you. You're busted--- but loved! Very loved! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

-D

Dude, JT and I so have you. You're busted--- but loved! Very loved! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

-D

The feeling is mutual. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No Jack. What I'm saying is, we are about to have another threat from NE Tennessee to win the state. True SH is always loaded with young talent. But, it's about to get turned up a notch. SH and D-B are always competitive but are not always a state threat. This year for example, D-B is the team to beat right? But, does anyone actually consider them a threat to win the state? Maybe a few D-B fans, but nobody else. In the next few years, SH will be back to where they were a few years ago. Sit back and watch.

Has anyone really considered that DB or Science Hill was a threat to win state since the loss of Van Huss and Pitts? I would rank them both as the two best coaches ever in tennessee high school basketball. They took good talent and made them great, and they could "compete" in the state tourney. Pitts won several state championships and Van Huss always had a team that could compete head to head with anybody. I don't see that in the two coaches at DB & SH now. They are very good coaches, but not the type that can take the talent here and beat the Memphis schools. Unless you have word of Pitts returning to Science Hill then it ain't gonna' happen. Sit back and watch.

Tonight's (12/2) Big 9 Conference Schedule

Volunteer @ Dobyns Bennett

Science Hill @ Sullivan Central

Daniel Boone @ Sullivan East

Elizabethton @ David Crockett

tricitiessportsfan Picks*

Dobyns Bennett over Volunteer

Science Hill over Sullivan Central

Daniel Boone over Sullivan East

*Picks are for Big 9 Conference games only

I'll be attending the Science Hill @ Sullivan Central game tonight, pulling for the 'Toppers.

Tonight's (12/2) Big 9 Conference Schedule

Volunteer @ Dobyns Bennett

Science Hill @ Sullivan Central

Daniel Boone @ Sullivan East

Elizabethton @ David Crockett

tricitiessportsfan Picks*

Dobyns Bennett over Volunteer

Science Hill over Sullivan Central

Daniel Boone over Sullivan East

*Picks are for Big 9 Conference games only

I'll be attending the Science Hill @ Sullivan Central game tonight, pulling for the 'Toppers.

Me too. Wave your arms a lot or wear a santa hat. Be visble tonight!

Knowing many of the players in both groups JRock??¦IMO this group is a more skilled group. It??™s the mentality and the heart that separates these two generations. And with that said I have to admit that YOU ARE RIGHT??¦???Old School??? would run them off the court. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I don't think they are on the same level. I played against the competition now so I would know. But the game is a lot different than it used to be. Those old guys were much quicker and much bigger. The game was a lot different back then, though. My brother was talking to me about how physical the game has become. He was around during the great years of Science Hill. He said you would be in a fight if you played the way guys do now.

I'm not sure, at the moment, what the exact final to the Science Hill @ Sullivan Central game was. I left with about four minutes left in the fourth quarter, with the Hill leading by 19, 54-35. IMO, the first half was a push with the 'Toppers going in at halftime leading 24-20. I got a sense towards the end of the second quarter, however, that things were slipping away for the Cougars, with Sullivan Central becoming disorganized on offense, and Science Hill not yet hitting their stride.

The 'Toppers opened the third quarter with a 12-4 run, stretching their four point halftime lead to seventeen at the end of three quarters, 47-30. The difference in the third was simple; Science Hill's athleticism, team speed, and depth took the Cougars play makers out of their game. The Hill's press and in your face half court defense forced bad passes, turnovers, and ugly shots.

Overall, the Cougars didn't shoot well. Roberts was not hitting the three ball, Devault and Vannoy were having a hard time going hard to the basket and finishing, and the Cougar bench was not a factor. The Hill stepped up their defense in the third quarter, making it very difficult for Sullivan Central to penetrate the paint in much of the second half. The Hill, on the other hand, was not overly impressive tonight, however, they were efficient. After missing a few close range shots and failing to knock down free throws in the first half, the 'Toppers corrected these mistakes and came out roaring in the third quarter, creating the separation that would be the difference in the final score. Congratulations to the Hill, you played your game and took care of business. Sullivan Central, you came out of the gate inspired, but appeared to lose intensity when the chips were down, depth will be your worst enemy this season. Good luck to both.

Roll Tribe.

I'm not sure, at the moment, what the exact final to the Science Hill @ Sullivan Central game was. I left with about four minutes left in the fourth quarter, with the Hill leading by 19, 54-35. IMO, the first half was a push with the 'Toppers going in at halftime leading 24-20. I got a sense towards the end of the second quarter, however, that things were slipping away for the Cougars, with Sullivan Central becoming disorganized on offense, and Science Hill not yet hitting their stride.

The 'Toppers opened the third quarter with a 12-4 run, stretching their four point halftime lead to seventeen at the end of three quarters, 47-30. The difference in the third was simple; Science Hill's athleticism, team speed, and depth took the Cougars play makers out of their game. The Hill's press and in your face half court defense forced bad passes, turnovers, and ugly shots.

Overall, the Cougars didn't shoot well. Roberts was not hitting the three ball, Devault and Vannoy were having a hard time going hard to the basket and finishing, and the Cougar bench was not a factor. The Hill stepped up their defense in the third quarter, making it very difficult for Sullivan Central to penetrate the paint in much of the second half. The Hill, on the other hand, was not overly impressive tonight, however, they were efficient. After missing a few close range shots and failing to knock down free throws in the first half, the 'Toppers corrected these mistakes and came out roaring in the third quarter, creating the separation that would be the difference in the final score. Congratulations to the Hill, you played your game and took care of business. Sullivan Central, you came out of the gate inspired, but appeared to lose intensity when the chips were down, depth will be your worst enemy this season. Good luck to both.

Roll Tribe.

Our takes on the game our really similar (see: my post on the central science hill thread). Glad to see we're on the same page /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Roll Tribe.

Well spoken.

However, I think Devault was just about the only bright spot on the Cougars offense. It wasn't a standout preformance by any means but he made a few buckets. Roberts didn't get too many good looks from 3. The majority of his shots were heavily contested. He had some he should have knocked down though, but the Science Hill pressure was impressive to say the least. They were really playing some good defense, and putting a lot of pressure on the ball. I'll be interested to see just how many turnovers the Cougars had. It was way too many, I know that. Something that didn't help the Cougars any way, was not having Albright on the floor. He's a big help in the post. Him not being there, forced the Cougars to play more of their bench.

Like you said though, the first quarter and a half looked like it was going to be an awesome game. After that, the Cougars got really sloppy. They can usually depend on Mickey (Brown) to handle the ball and really push it up the floor, and he had an off game. He didn't see the floor nearly as much as he usually does.

Odem really started putting an exclamation point to the victory towards the end of the game.

Also, I caught the post game show for the Volunteer @ Dobyns Bennett game on the drive home from Blountville on 94.3 FM/AM 1400 with Don Spivey. Dobyns Bennett roared out to a 15-0 first quarter lead, only to let Volunteer back into the game by halftime. The Indians regrouped and push the lead back out to twenty in the third quarter, but again allowed Volunteer to claw their way back into the game, cutting the lead down to five at one point. Again, however, the Tribe pushed the lead back out to fifteen and won the game by that margin, 66-51. Coach Morgan mentioned in his post game interview that everyone got to play, including the entire bench. He also mentioned that the happenings in the game would be a valuable lesson learned for his senior led team. I hope the Indians get it corrected before the Greene Devils visit Buck Van Huss this Saturday. I trust they will.

FYI, there has been a change in the Indians schedule for the rest of the week. I spoke to a friend who is the statistics and color analyst with Don on 94.3 FM/AM 1400 and he informed me that the Indians games @ David Crockett on Friday and @ Greeneville on Saturday have been changed to home games and the games scheduled for later in the year have been changed to away games. I made the correction on the Indians CoachT schedule, but you can also find the correction here.

12/5 vs. David Crockett

12/6 vs. Greeneville

1/17 @ Greeneville

1/20 @ David Crockett

Roll Tribe.

I had the opportunity to get very acquainted with Jeremy over the summer. He got us in a tournament or two that we otherwise wouldn??™t have been on the ???short list???. Good coach; excellent eye for talent. He could have pulled a couple players off my squad if he pushed it, but he cut me some slack till we were done. He obviously didn??™t need them anyway.

I??™m thinking that YOU could build a reputable program in this area so that these kids don??™t have to travel all the way to Davidson, TN every weekend to practice. You have the name, reputation, and experience. And I find out with every post that you obviously have the connections??¦and everybody in Kingsport has money??¦don??™t they. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

There are too many irons in the fire for me right now. You may or may not see me at the games this year. I am extremely busy and don't have the time to give to the team or players more importantly. Every year, I have been further away from the kids and that is why you did not see me on the bench the last two years. I hope to get back to what I love to do, and that's coaching basketball and trying to make a difference in some young person's life off the court. But I do miss the locker rooms and personal time behind the scenes really bad. GOD BLESS!!!