big 9 basketball

unc1

Stokomo, YOU should know better than to compare your team with that bunch. They wouldn't come within 50. I still remember seeing you all play.

Don't sell those old heads out. No disrespect to any players of today, but I believe Nookie was the best guard to come out of East TN in the last 30 years. He just couldn't keep his head focused. Wilson shotthree left handed, and he is right handed. That team went 33-1 that summer, only losing in the final four of the nationals. You don't see much pressing anymore, and we had probably the best 1-2-1-1 press out there. And I forgot to mention Clay Potter from South, Ryan Black and Fred Smith (DB).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stokomo, YOU should know better than to compare your team with that bunch. They wouldn't come within 50. I still remember seeing you all play.

Yea I see what you mean. I mean??¦everybody knows that Kobe Bryant couldn??™t hold a candle to Michelle Jordan nor could Labron James to Magic Johnson. And if anybody thinks Mike Tyson could have stayed in the ring with Muhamad Ali they are nuts. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

It was good to see you at the Elizabethton AAU tourney CAP1. That team had all the makings of a great team from this area. How did you guys fair this summer? I would have loved to see a game between them and my 94 team with Jovann Johnson, Caleb, Gilmer, Raymond Lee, Brad Fields, Nookie Bailey, Tylee Henry, OD Williams, Nathan Norman, and Johnathan Wilson. That would be a good game. Anyway... I look forward to seeing a lot of the Big 9 this year with the limited time I have this year. GOOD Luck to all teams!!!! GOD Bless!!!!

What??™s up Stoke??¦long story made short, they qualified for the State tournament but were unable to go due to too many commitments to the various school programs??¦from summer basketball camps to football scrimmages??¦you name it. It??™s much different now than it was in the good ol days. Coaches don??™t like to share athletes with other coaches and sports within their own school much less a program outside the school that doesn??™t involve THEIR entire team. I will say that there was only one ???mountain??? that stood in front of this group that they couldn??™t quite get over??¦and that was the Mid State Ballers (White) out of Nashville. But after they blasted us at Sub State by 26 we were able to make it exciting in a couple more meetings with them even though it seemed like every time we played they brought out another ringer each time. Unbelievable how deep the talent pool is down there.

Have you ever thought about getting back into coaching?

I just thought I'd drop a couple of lines to let all the haters and the doubters know that at this very moment, I'm watching Omar Wattad on ESPN...out on the court...playing for the Hoya's of Georgtown in only his second season with the team!! There was ALLOT of talk (much of which came from Central followers at that time} of how he would never see the floor at Georgetown. Well...surprise surprise surprise!! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Cap, I was thinking the same thing the other day when he popped a couple of treys on my Vols. I have to admit, I was one of his doubters. It's great to see someone from this area contributing on a team of that talent in D1A! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> As for this year, I look for D-B to run the table in the Big 9. But, look out for the Hill. And, if you can get the Hill this year, you better do it quick. Because, starting next year, it's all over for everyone around here including the Injuns! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Cap, I was thinking the same thing the other day when he popped a couple of treys on my Vols. I have to admit, I was one of his doubters. It's great to see someone from this area contributing on a team of that talent in D1A! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> As for this year, I look for D-B to run the table in the Big 9. But, look out for the Hill. And, if you can get the Hill this year, you better do it quick. Because, starting next year, it's all over for everyone around here including the Injuns! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What happens next year, if I may ask?

Theres some more of that "WISHFUL THINKING"

Don't sell those old heads out. No disrespect to any players of today, but I believe Nookie was the best guard to come out of East TN in the last 30 years. He just couldn't keep his head focused. Wilson shotthree left handed, and he is right handed. That team went 33-1 that summer, only losing in the final four of the nationals. You don't see much pressing anymore, and we had probably the best 1-2-1-1 press out there. And I forgot to mention Clay Potter from South, Ryan Black and Fred Smith (DB).

No I don't think you understood me. Cap1's group wouldn't even be in the same league as that team. The guys you mentioned were competiting for State Championships. Wait sorry, winning State Championships. The talent in East Tennessee will probably never be that good again.

No I don't think you understood me. Cap1's group wouldn't even be in the same league as that team. The guys you mentioned were competiting for State Championships. Wait sorry, winning State Championships. The talent in East Tennessee will probably never be that good again.

Sorry 'bout that jrock. One of the reason's the talent pool is less here now is because of what CAP1 said. Schools around here care about one thing, and that's their own programs. Some coaches don't help their own players get college scholarships anymore, citing it's "not their job to help them." And having an AAU program would help the player tremendously. Just ask Coach Pitts. He allowed me to coach those 90's boys, because he knew I taught fundamentals and preached for kids to get their grades first, then athletics. Pitts was one of a kind for the Hill and there will not be another like him in our lifetime. I think the biggest turn for me to get out of coaching AAU was the opportunity to coach in TSSAA. I still think about going back a lot, but the politics now is even greater than before with what CAP1 stated being so true. Just a note to all parents.......if you can find a god program that teaches morals, fundamentals, and getting grades first, then AAU can be a wonderful tool for your child t be one ofthe area's best and good looks for a scholarship. GOD BLESS!!!!!

Sorry 'bout that jrock. One of the reason's the talent pool is less here now is because of what CAP1 said. Schools around here care about one thing, and that's their own programs. Some coaches don't help their own players get college scholarships anymore, citing it's "not their job to help them." And having an AAU program would help the player tremendously. Just ask Coach Pitts. He allowed me to coach those 90's boys, because he knew I taught fundamentals and preached for kids to get their grades first, then athletics. Pitts was one of a kind for the Hill and there will not be another like him in our lifetime. I think the biggest turn for me to get out of coaching AAU was the opportunity to coach in TSSAA. I still think about going back a lot, but the politics now is even greater than before with what CAP1 stated being so true. Just a note to all parents.......if you can find a god program that teaches morals, fundamentals, and getting grades first, then AAU can be a wonderful tool for your child t be one ofthe area's best and good looks for a scholarship. GOD BLESS!!!!!

That is true. I think it starts a lot with kids when they are younger, though. Too many Dads coaching that have no business. Even in middle school, the best teams don't even play each other. I remember back when I was younger Omar and a lot of the Toppers were competiting for States in AAU. This area could really use an AAU team such as the Midstate Ballers and the Travelers.

But, look out for the Hill. And, if you can get the Hill this year, you better do it quick. Because, starting next year, it's all over for everyone around here including the Injuns! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

DB's Freshman Team beat SH in the District Tournament last year by 40 points. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />