big 9 basketball

unc1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, tricitiessports.com made a mistake on their article concerning the Hall of Fame games, neglecting to put Girls next to the game, therefore we all assumed it was boys. Honest mistake. You don't want rebelrebelman after you all winter.

There is now way rebelrebelman will be after me all winter. I have "SEEN" the South hoops squad. They are the worst team in the Big 9. And I might add, the Big 9 (besides D-B, Science Hill and Tenn High), is the weakest this conference has been in the many years I have been following it.

What is the deal with East having only 9 players? I thought they would compete, but they are gonna be hurting. They have a small point guard who will get trapped, and wing players who shoot the lights out but struggle to make their own shot. Dyer is a great coach though, they will still be competitive. I still think they will beat crockett and split with Boone, Volunteer, and South. My predictions go as follows.

1.DB

2.SH

3.Central

4.Tenn High

5.Volunteer

6.Boone

7.South

8.East

9.Crockett

POTY-Justin Sylvester

All Conference 1st team-Josh Odem, Corey Young, Ashlon Adams, Tyler Devault, Nick Jones.

Best of luck to all /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Did you get that inside information on the point guard from the Holston Optimist scouting director?

Dobyns-Bennett then Science Hill. The rest should be very interesting. Central should have a good team along with Tenn. High. But look for Dobyns Bennett to dominate the conference once again.

DB this, DB that...This time its going to be different...I believe that Science Hill has a chance to win it this year. With UTC signee Josh Odem, a 6-5 wing/point guard leading the way. We have a total of 11 seniors, that are very talented, i must add. I think they will pull it together this year when playing DB i guess we will just have to see.

Central looked decent last night in a win over Cocke County. They played some really good basketball at times, but they had some bad moments, especially during the second quarter. Carl Roberts shot lights out and Devault looked REALLY strong down low. Mickey Brown did a great job running the offense. They still lack depth. The guys they brought off the bench didn't contribute much at all. They still have work to do, especially with the second team.

I agree MRM10, the starters scored 71 of 75 points last night. They definitely need help off the bench but I think by mid-season they'll have it. Winchell is coming around quickly after football, Hyden will also help out. He can shoot well and rebound. He needs some minutes to get better. Sturgill is a big man underneath that has shown signs of being a great post but also needs time. The backcourt needs help badly, if Box shakes off his football injury he could be a key factor in the backcourt. Also Shipley is shaking the injury bug, he could help backcourt also. The starters are a pretty solid bunch IMO.

I agree MRM10, the starters scored 71 of 75 points last night. They definitely need help off the bench but I think by mid-season they'll have it. Winchell is coming around quickly after football, Hyden will also help out. He can shoot well and rebound. He needs some minutes to get better. Sturgill is a big man underneath that has shown signs of being a great post but also needs time. The backcourt needs help badly, if Box shakes off his football injury he could be a key factor in the backcourt. Also Shipley is shaking the injury bug, he could help backcourt also. The starters are a pretty solid bunch IMO.

I'll agree with the Winchell statement. He's going to be a good player. Sturgill is a strong post presence but blows A TON of close buckets. Lay-ups are his worst enemy. He's a great defensive player though. Hyden is a good option off the bench. He's yet to knock down shots though, it could be rust from not playing last year, who knows. He got beat a lot on defense Friday night too. He doesn't seem quick enough, and let his man around him a lot. Box will heal with time, but seems to be REALLY weak with the ball, and doesn't seem to have the ability to knock down shots. Honestly, I don't think they can take Brown and Roberts out at the same time, and still be efficient. They are extremely lacking in guard help. Shipley might be a decent player, I think he's better suited as like a 3 man. He's not physical enough to make it inside. He has the ability to knock down jumpers.

I know it's been run into the ground but their starters are VERY solid. Brown has turned into an excellent point guard and is extremely quick. He can also shoot the ball really well. Roberts is a great guard, he rebounds exceptionally well, and plays bigger than his actual size. He also showed everyone Friday night that he's a lights out shooter. He'll have a great year this year. Vannoy has shown some talen, he led the Cougars in scoring against Tri-Cities Christian, and added 10pts on a poor shooting night against Cocke County. It seemed to be an off night for him, because he also had a few turnovers . He also got a little frustrated Friday, costing the Cougars a technical. When he's knocking down shots, he's great, and he'll be tough to guard. He'll be a great player for the Cougars this year. He'll put up 10pts+ a game. Albright showed a little rust Friday night too, he threw the ball away quiet a few times, but who wouldn't be rusty, they haven't played much yet. He's athletic though, and will provide another scoring threat for the Cougars and will help a lot. The kid that really impressed me, and probably everyone in the gym was Tyler Devault. This kid has a huge upside and has come a LONG way in his four years. He went into high school as a 5' 7" guard and now he's knocking on 6' 5". He plays strong, he's an excellent shot blocker too. I can't say enough about him.

If the Cougars can find some help off the bench, they are headed towards a great season. They will win a lot of games regardless, though.

It's been my experience that point guards have to dribble. If Coach Vaughn can pull off playing Austin Box at point guard, then hats off to that son of a gun. I'm kind of tired of everyone on here picking out random players on the bench and saying "If this guy can step up, then I think this team will be tough!" Well, of course they'll be tough, but the problem is if a player hasn't proved himself in freshman or JV, then I don't think his senior season will be his coming out party.

I have Central losing 4 games in conference this year. Two to DB, two to Science Hill. Used to think that Central could steal one for the Toppers but after seeing the boys from JC in the jamboree and in two games I dont see Central beating them even at their home court against one of the best student sections in the big 9 with the Cougar Den. Science Hill looked very strong on the offensive end in both Hall of Champions games. Defense could use some work however. Other than DB and Science Hill there really isnt another team that is very good. Central, with its good shooters, should shoot the trey right thru the Tenn High zone. Since this is apparently the Sullivan Central Cougars home page I just thought I'd throw in my thoughts.