big 9 basketball

unc1

I guess your name means that you love tricitiessports.com and if thats the case you better like orange and you better like cougars cause thats all you'll be seeing & hearing about on that website, better get use to it!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Well actually I am rather fond of the website, but also all Tri-Cities sports. I know it's hard to tell from the back and forth I have been doing, but it's all in jest. I honestly do hope all athletic programs do well in the area, save one (and that one is not Sullivan Central). I am biased towards Dobyns Bennett, as you and others well know, but it is my alma mater so it is to be expected. I'm sure I will see plenty of headlines made by the Cougars this basketball season, for better or for worse. We'll find out soon enough. Dobyns Bennett @ Sullivan Central in the Cougar's Den, Tuesday December 9.

Is your schedule on your school website yet? Who are you playing out of conference? What tournaments are you playing in?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very tough early match-up for DB, especially depending on how long the footballers are out. The one thing that I see that causes concern for the Indians is lack of depth. The starting 5 are phenominal, but then there's a noticable drop off. Some of the Sophs, Ethan Jones, Jeremy Pritchett, Corey Hall, etc, will have to step up. The loss of up and coming clippas Sean Seabolt and Nathan Harrell to other sports wont help any. However, with CMO on the bench, I can't bet against the Indians.

My bracket-buster this year would have to be South. If they get hot, look for them to pull an upset or two. I would have picked Boone, but without Jared Howard, I just dont know how successful they will be.

A very tough early match-up for DB, especially depending on how long the footballers are out. The one thing that I see that causes concern for the Indians is lack of depth. The starting 5 are phenominal, but then there's a noticable drop off. Some of the Sophs, Ethan Jones, Jeremy Pritchett, Corey Hall, etc, will have to step up. The loss of up and coming clippas Sean Seabolt and Nathan Harrell to other sports wont help any. However, with CMO on the bench, I can't bet against the Indians.

You are completely wrong here. The bench will not even reach that deep for DB. It will be 7 players and maybe 8. The 5 seniors of Sylvester, Halvorsen, McConnell, Adams, and Edwards should start. and Adam Dennison and Darius Davis should see playing time. As for Ethan Jones, Corey Hall, and Jeremy Pritchett, I've not heard of them but Im pretty sure they wont work there way into the rotation when the games start to matter late in the season. So dont you worry about depth. Im looking forward to piling into the Cougar Den on tuesday the 9th of December. I will be here before you know it and football players will be back for that game even if they make it all the way to state because the state championship game is on the 5th. So cougar fans... be ready cause DB is gonna come after you.

My point with the Sullivan Central posters on this thread is simply to talk about the upsets your predicting when they happen, rather than now, weeks before the first whistle blows.

Also, Dobyns Bennett does have a good football team, but we also play a little basketball. I have not read or heard anything from Dobyns Bennett fans or players that would lead me to believe they are marking down this year as another state tournament run, as you and your counterparts suggest. In an earlier post I stated that the tools are there to make such a run, but we all know there are alot of obstacles in the way, Sullivan Central being one of them. We all know that this years Cougars club will be a special bunch, but I wish you would stop acting like everyone is disrespecting you or your players, especially Dobyns Bennett fans or players.

Best of luck to Sullivan Central this 2008-2009 season, you have my respect. I look forward to coming to the Cougar's Den sometime this season.

Sorry tricitiessportsfan, it's hard for us county boys to respect you city folk. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

With that being said though, I DO respect you. It just seems like a lot of your boys at DB do a lot of talking, but most of the time they back it up. So i guess it goes without saying that they've earned the right to talk. It's just sort of the way people take a johnson county fan on the football threads. EVERYONE hates them, and they are percieved to all be the same. I suppose what I'm trying to say is...everyone wants to beat DB, and this year, people have a much better chance of it, especially in the beginning of the season.

BUT i'm a firm believer in not talking yourself up. It spells trouble.

P.S. (That wasn't a shot at DB, it was a recommendation for central as well.)

P.S.S. Nothing's better than the element of surprise. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Sorry tricitiessportsfan, it's hard for us county boys to respect you city folk. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

With that being said though, I DO respect you. It just seems like a lot of your boys at DB do a lot of talking, but most of the time they back it up. So i guess it goes without saying that they've earned the right to talk. It's just sort of the way people take a johnson county fan on the football threads. EVERYONE hates them, and they are percieved to all be the same. I suppose what I'm trying to say is...everyone wants to beat DB, and this year, people have a much better chance of it, especially in the beginning of the season.

BUT i'm a firm believer in not talking yourself up. It spells trouble.

P.S. (That wasn't a shot at DB, it was a recommendation for central as well.)

P.S.S. Nothing's better than the element of surprise. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Understandable. Though I hope we DB fans aren't as ignorant or tunnel visioned as Johnson Co. posters, /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> . Best of luck to the Cougars in the early going. By the way, I'll be in attendence tomorrow night for your football game against Tennessee High, my Indians will be out of town.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I like, take it or leave it:

1) DB- DB is the pride of sports in this area, and they always have a target on their back. They'll deal with that target fine, and the addition of Adams from SH makes them a consensus #1 in the Big 9

2) SH- SH is the only team with a shot to beat DB more than once. They boast a very athletic lineup, and that will win you games more often than lose them.

3) TN High/ SC- TN High has Corey Young, and that is it. But, he is outstanding, and could do big things for his team this year. Central is returning alot of players, and they always have a scrappy club that gets a couple upsets. Whoever wins the head-to-head matchups between TN and SC will finish 3rd. The other, will get 4th.

5) Boone- Lost their best player in Blake Moncier (Milligan), but they always fight, and their JV was very good. Look for these guys to get some varsity time. They won't make much noise this year, but they will compete, and their young guys will be a force once they get some good experience.

6) South- Only saw South play once last year, but they weren't terrible. Could surprise some teams this year, but would do well to challenge for 5th in the conference at best.

7)Volunteer- if they can keep all of their players on the floor and out of foul trouble, then they could get up to 5th. More of their basketball players should be on the football team, or maybe even wrestling.

8) East/Crockett- like TN High and Central, these two teams have the best shot at taking out each other but will finish in the lower half of the conference, with their head-to-head matchups being the difference between 8th and 9th.

Here's what I like, take it or leave it:

1) DB- DB is the pride of sports in this area, and they always have a target on their back. They'll deal with that target fine, and the addition of Adams from SH makes them a consensus #1 in the Big 9

2) SH- SH is the only team with a shot to beat DB more than once. They boast a very athletic lineup, and that will win you games more often than lose them.

3) TN High/ SC- TN High has Corey Young, and that is it. But, he is outstanding, and could do big things for his team this year. Central is returning alot of players, and they always have a scrappy club that gets a couple upsets. Whoever wins the head-to-head matchups between TN and SC will finish 3rd. The other, will get 4th.

5) Boone- Lost their best player in Blake Moncier (Milligan), but they always fight, and their JV was very good. Look for these guys to get some varsity time. They won't make much noise this year, but they will compete, and their young guys will be a force once they get some good experience.

6) South- Only saw South play once last year, but they weren't terrible. Could surprise some teams this year, but would do well to challenge for 5th in the conference at best.

7)Volunteer- if they can keep all of their players on the floor and out of foul trouble, then they could get up to 5th. More of their basketball players should be on the football team, or maybe even wrestling.

8) East/Crockett- like TN High and Central, these two teams have the best shot at taking out each other but will finish in the lower half of the conference, with their head-to-head matchups being the difference between 8th and 9th.

i can't wait to see the teams you have picked in the jamboree even if they don't want to show much you can tell who the teams go to players will be, i think central and sh will be 2nd and 3rd but i think the rest of your order are far from being close.

Weren't you badmouthing central before, unc1?

does anyone know the jamboree matchups this year? or are they just the same as last year?

i don't think they have the outside shooting to win the big games but do have enough inside game to be in the top if foul trouble don't set in, i didn't mean to sound like i was bad mouthing just don't

think they are as good as some of you think, i think the only reason they beat sh last year and it wasn't mentioned was odom never played!!! they should finish high because they only lost one starter. time will tell how good they are within the 1st 5 conference games. should be a interesting season for some!!