7-AAA 2008-2009

MidTennFootball

Who will 7-AAA  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who will 7-AAA

I have never disputed the fact that Oakland plays a scaled down schedule. Due to reasons that are unknown to everyone else, Oakland chooses to just play who they can within the Middle Tennessee area. If they intentionally set up the schedule as such to pad wins, I could understand. But for the last 20 years, I think it is safe to say that Oakland's schedule has done a pretty good job of getting Oakland prepared for a possible deep run into the tournament. Take out all the 20 win seasons for all I care, Oakland's success regardless still carries alot of weight. As ive said before, there is no right or wrong way to prepare a schedule as long as it prepares them for post-season play. Games against Whites Creek, Overton, Maplewood, Clarksville NW, and Hunters Lane were all designed to prepare Oakland for teams that are a little bit faster than Oakland, trying to force an uptempo style of play.

That doesnt mean I wish that we played some better teams. Id kill to play Columbia and Science Hill on a consistent basis like Oakland did in the 90's.

Well said OP. I don't disagree with any of it. Just thought it was interesting to take a look at the numbers. Any thoughts on the stats I mentioned about your Patriot's winning % against district opponent's?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said OP. I don't disagree with any of it. Just thought it was interesting to take a look at the numbers. Any thoughts on the stats I mentioned about your Patriot's winning % against district opponent's?

Not particularly suprising. Oakland has been blessed to have a steady flow of decent talent, along with having kids that have bought into what the coaching staff is preaching. I think one thing that stands out is that Oakland is a well-rounded team, whereas alot of teams in this district, have a particular flaw in some form or fashion. I think if the numbers prove anything, it is that a commitment of solid team defense, no matter how much or little talent you have, will keep you in the thick of things year after year.

I'd say winning over 80% of your games would be considered by most as "Keeping you in the thick of things".

While Oakland will employ some half-court trapping from time to time. I've always thought that the backbone of their defense is their on ball defense. They are consitently the best at the simple practice of just keeping your man in front of you. Too many kids try to lunge, shoot gaps, reach around, etc. and it gets them in poor position. As a general rule, Oakland plays a very conservative yet solid man defense. Of course they will always have an exception or two each year that is quick enough (Maupins) or long enough (Chaisson) to pressure the ball and still keep from getting beat.

I'd say winning over 80% of your games would be considered by most as "Keeping you in the thick of things".

While Oakland will employ some half-court trapping from time to time. I've always thought that the backbone of their defense is their on ball defense. They are consitently the best at the simple practice of just keeping your man in front of you. Too many kids try to lunge, shoot gaps, reach around, etc. and it gets them in poor position. As a general rule, Oakland plays a very conservative yet solid man defense. Of course they will always have an exception or two each year that is quick enough (Maupins) or long enough (Chaisson) to pressure the ball and still keep from getting beat.

Actually, Oakland plays more of a matchup zone as opposed to man to man. But your right about on the ball pressure. Also, I think one thing I would like to see more of is that 1-2-2 halfcourt press, but you cant argue with only giving up 47 ppg.

Ur a dam idiot..

IDC give Oakland siegel's schedule they will still get 20..

If siegel wants to think they ave played the "best" from Memphis why not play R.E or White station? Someone like that?

Yall absolutely HATE that Oakland still finds a way to win, win and WIN!

I PROMISE YOU if i see you guys at a game I will personally walk up to you nd hand you the tissue paper!

Yall out cry Cutter ANYDAY..

Nobody has argued Jamal needing to be the MVP. You just trying to brew up a stupid fight. I will say that Jamal does EVERY little thing u could imagine for Oakland. I've seen him dive on the floor at least 10 times this yr. EVERYONE knows how good Kerry is. No one argues that at all.

Its always like this I think. Oakland has the quiet players who just play. Siegel always has the guys that NEVER get noticed lol and never get the respect they deserve. BOO HOOOO

GAHHH LEE!

Again BOOOO HOOOOO BOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Siegel beat Oakland in the district or regions.

The sad thing is even if oakland wins they only beat Siegel cause of the rivalry and not cause there any good. Kill me now but if Warren county played Oaklands schedule they would prob muster up 15 wins..

Don't worry bout me tho I know nothing of what I talk about. I know nothing about this basketball either..

Again BOO HOO

Wow, such language. If you watch Siegel play they also have players that dive on the floor, they have kids that are all around players just like Hughes but did you see any articles on them. Their bench is deep with talent but all people seem to think about are the big scorers. What about the kids who averages 8-10 ppg, 4 assist, 3 steals, 2 blocks and 8 rebounds per game, and run point if needed, those are the ones the college coaches will be looking at while the rest of you are fussing about the ones with tunnel vision. Yeah Hughes does a lot but he's done no more than some other sleepers in the 'Boro. Look at Lebanon and Hillsboro(I know not in our district but hey) they have divers and sleepers and worker bees just like everyone else.

It's all in how you carry yourself and because Siegels carrys around the swagger that brings out the haters. Well every school should believe that they are the best, otherwise what would we all have to talk about.

So, if the DNJ wants to make a Cinderella story out of Oakland, hey more power to them, it will all come down to who wants it the most.

Roll on Stars and good luck Pats and let's not forget Blackman and Riverdale. Play hard young men.

Ur a dam idiot..

IDC give Oakland siegel's schedule they will still get 20..

If siegel wants to think they ave played the "best" from Memphis why not play R.E or White station? Someone like that?

Yall absolutely HATE that Oakland still finds a way to win, win and WIN!

I PROMISE YOU if i see you guys at a game I will personally walk up to you nd hand you the tissue paper!

Yall out cry Cutter ANYDAY..

Nobody has argued Jamal needing to be the MVP. You just trying to brew up a stupid fight. I will say that Jamal does EVERY little thing u could imagine for Oakland. I've seen him dive on the floor at least 10 times this yr. EVERYONE knows how good Kerry is. No one argues that at all.

Its always like this I think. Oakland has the quiet players who just play. Siegel always has the guys that NEVER get noticed lol and never get the respect they deserve. BOO HOOOO

GAHHH LEE!

Again BOOOO HOOOOO BOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Siegel beat Oakland in the district or regions.

The sad thing is even if oakland wins they only beat Siegel cause of the rivalry and not cause there any good. Kill me now but if Warren county played Oaklands schedule they would prob muster up 15 wins..

Don't worry bout me tho I know nothing of what I talk about. I know nothing about this basketball either..

Again BOO HOO

I personally do not care if Oakland wins as long as they dont when they play us. Their is only one team I worry about and that is Siegel. Oakland can do whatever they wanna do. I love how everyone on hear uses "Siegel fans" are obnoxious as the excuse to hate Siegel, like everyone doesnt hate the baby of the district anyways. Were like the little brother that stole attention from big brother thats why were hated. I could be the nicest most modest guy on earth and everyone on here would not like Siegel regardless. Btw mackie nice percentages, but I got one for you, first 5 years Siegel was in existence, 3 state tournament appearances for a total of 60% of them. Oakland just one in those 5 years for a total of 20%. Wins and losses during the regular season do not matter to a true high school basketball fan. All that matters is bringing it when its tournament time which we have done better then anyone. Tyler Cutter was on the bench for 3 state tournaments, what white county or Oakland players has done that? Im sure gribble or one of the white county players has Im just curious as to who.

Actually, Oakland plays more of a matchup zone as opposed to man to man. But your right about on the ball pressure. Also, I think one thing I would like to see more of is that 1-2-2 halfcourt press, but you cant argue with only giving up 47 ppg.

Oakland definitely does not play a matchup zone. Sagging man to man. They do a good job as was previously mentioned of not getting beat on dribble penetration, but definitely not a matchup zone.

Wow, such language. If you watch Siegel play they also have players that dive on the floor, they have kids that are all around players just like Hughes but did you see any articles on them. Their bench is deep with talent but all people seem to think about are the big scorers. What about the kids who averages 8-10 ppg, 4 assist, 3 steals, 2 blocks and 8 rebounds per game, and run point if needed, those are the ones the college coaches will be looking at while the rest of you are fussing about the ones with tunnel vision. Yeah Hughes does a lot but he's done no more than some other sleepers in the 'Boro. Look at Lebanon and Hillsboro(I know not in our district but hey) they have divers and sleepers and worker bees just like everyone else.

It's all in how you carry yourself and because Siegels carrys around the swagger that brings out the haters. Well every school should believe that they are the best, otherwise what would we all have to talk about.

So, if the DNJ wants to make a Cinderella story out of Oakland, hey more power to them, it will all come down to who wants it the most.

Roll on Stars and good luck Pats and let's not forget Blackman and Riverdale. Play hard young men.

I dont think me or TJ is taking anything away from every other role player, they are truly what makes a team goes. Jamal doesnt seek the spotlight and is one of those guys you do not really notice on the court until you look at the box score the next morning and see that he had 20 points or so. Difference is, he doesnt have to get 20 points, he does it all in the flow of the offense, whether it be 0 points or 25 points, and does what is needed to win. He is the perfect example of what Oakland's entire team is about, they might not be the most athletically gifted or talented bunch, but they are going to play hard and play good fundamental defense, while running disciplined halfcourt sets.

I dont think people hate the team so much as people hate who represents Siegel. Act like you have been there before, that is certainly not the case with all Siegel posters, but it is for a large number. For Oakland to be a cinderella, it would have required them to have a small chance to do good things, usually implying that they are in a down year or a year where nobody expected much from them, which hasnt happened in a while. Cinderlla stories would apply in cases such as the 96-97 Oakland team that lost such previous players as Gerald King, Ricky Swader, Michael Couey, and what amounted with a team full of sophmores, they went 21-11 and into the substate, where they lost to the eventual defending state champion, Chattanooga Brainerd.

I personally do not care if Oakland wins as long as they dont when they play us. Their is only one team I worry about and that is Siegel. Oakland can do whatever they wanna do. I love how everyone on hear uses "Siegel fans" are obnoxious as the excuse to hate Siegel, like everyone doesnt hate the baby of the district anyways. Were like the little brother that stole attention from big brother thats why were hated. I could be the nicest most modest guy on earth and everyone on here would not like Siegel regardless. Btw mackie nice percentages, but I got one for you, first 5 years Siegel was in existence, 3 state tournament appearances for a total of 60% of them. Oakland just one in those 5 years for a total of 20%. Wins and losses during the regular season do not matter to a true high school basketball fan. All that matters is bringing it when its tournament time which we have done better then anyone. Tyler Cutter was on the bench for 3 state tournaments, what white county or Oakland players has done that? Im sure gribble or one of the white county players has Im just curious as to who.

I personally dont care about who's the new school, this and that. It is all about the way your represent your school. Do I got out of my way to make friends on here? I dont really think so, but I try to represent Oakland in a manner that is conducive to winning mutual respect from everyone I come into contact with. I think if you try slightly different approach, you would be suprised in the way people treat Siegel. As for the 3 state tournaments, I think it goes without saying that Siegel has been extremely blessed. Most new schools have a acclimation period where they build from the ground up and eventually become a player, but Siegel inherited monster talent from the get-go. You and I could have taken Siegel to state with those first couple of teams. I will give them last season though, I dont think anyone expected them to get to state, they played a great stretch of ball in the postseason.

You act like postseason runs like Siegel has are completely new to this district, they are not. Oakland went to state 4 times in 6 years, a feat Siegel has a chance to match this postseason. And even in those years in the 90's where Oakland didnt make state, I believe they made sub-state in almost every one of them. If you want to talk district domination or any kind of domination, win 7 district titles in a row as Oakland did from 90-96. I wish this forum was more about talking actual basketball instead of all this trash talk trying to break down the other program..............

congrats to all of the teams of the past and my hat is off to them. lets talk about the present. siegel or oakland will win the region. siegel and oakland both are better than shelbyville and columbia. i cant wait to watch oakland and cookeville play saturday night!!!!

Well since you berated people when they said Oakland would beat Siegel the last time they played and it ended up being true, I look forward to seeing if little ole Shelbyville and little ole Columbia can even score on Siegel. They probably dont even deserve to be in the same gym or play on the same floor as the great almighty Siegel. We will see how things play out next week. Good luck to Oakland this week....

my WARRIORS take on the lebanon bluse devils tonight we beat them in overtime last time hopefully we can get the job done tonight as it would be sweet if we were to advance to the region after such a tough season...

so Bobby TJ Vari Craig Taylor Dominque all of oyu guys play like there is no tomorrow because if you dont there wont be play within yourselves and be confident in yourself and get this done tonight

I cannot be there to cheer you on but i will be scoreboard watching my son has a baseball game tonight so get me a win so i can watch you on saturday

GO WARRIORS

I dont think me or TJ is taking anything away from every other role player, they are truly what makes a team goes. Jamal doesnt seek the spotlight and is one of those guys you do not really notice on the court until you look at the box score the next morning and see that he had 20 points or so. Difference is, he doesnt have to get 20 points, he does it all in the flow of the offense, whether it be 0 points or 25 points, and does what is needed to win. He is the perfect example of what Oakland's entire team is about, they might not be the most athletically gifted or talented bunch, but they are going to play hard and play good fundamental defense, while running disciplined halfcourt sets.

I dont think people hate the team so much as people hate who represents Siegel. Act like you have been there before, that is certainly not the case with all Siegel posters, but it is for a large number. For Oakland to be a cinderella, it would have required them to have a small chance to do good things, usually implying that they are in a down year or a year where nobody expected much from them, which hasnt happened in a while. Cinderlla stories would apply in cases such as the 96-97 Oakland team that lost such previous players as Gerald King, Ricky Swader, Michael Couey, and what amounted with a team full of sophmores, they went 21-11 and into the substate, where they lost to the eventual defending state champion, Chattanooga Brainerd.

I personally dont care about who's the new school, this and that. It is all about the way your represent your school. Do I got out of my way to make friends on here? I dont really think so, but I try to represent Oakland in a manner that is conducive to winning mutual respect from everyone I come into contact with. I think if you try slightly different approach, you would be suprised in the way people treat Siegel. As for the 3 state tournaments, I think it goes without saying that Siegel has been extremely blessed. Most new schools have a acclimation period where they build from the ground up and eventually become a player, but Siegel inherited monster talent from the get-go. You and I could have taken Siegel to state with those first couple of teams. I will give them last season though, I dont think anyone expected them to get to state, they played a great stretch of ball in the postseason.

You act like postseason runs like Siegel has are completely new to this district, they are not. Oakland went to state 4 times in 6 years, a feat Siegel has a chance to match this postseason. And even in those years in the 90's where Oakland didnt make state, I believe they made sub-state in almost every one of them. If you want to talk district domination or any kind of domination, win 7 district titles in a row as Oakland did from 90-96. I wish this forum was more about talking actual basketball instead of all this trash talk trying to break down the other program..............

will you people quit talking about the oakland teams of the 90s? do you not see what they had to work with? where do you think all of the siegel kids went before siegel was built...OAKLAND. so basicly each year they had a siegel and oakland all-star team. just imagine last year for example. on one team you have cutter, moppins, epps, jamal, montori, kerry, gooch, levon, hughes, etc. i mean look at the kind of talent you would be picking your team from. i would hope you could go to the state a couple of times with that kind of talent. i mean siegel and oakland have been in the top 3 of the district for pretty much the entire last 6 seasons. so imagine takin the two of them and just picking the top 10 players from the 2 teams. WOW. talk about a dream team!!!!! that was the oakland teams of the 90s.

will you people quit talking about the oakland teams of the 90s? do you not see what they had to work with? where do you think all of the siegel kids went before siegel was built...OAKLAND. so basicly each year they had a siegel and oakland all-star team. just imagine last year for example. on one team you have cutter, moppins, epps, jamal, montori, kerry, gooch, levon, hughes, etc. i mean look at the kind of talent you would be picking your team from. i would hope you could go to the state a couple of times with that kind of talent. i mean siegel and oakland have been in the top 3 of the district for pretty much the entire last 6 seasons. so imagine takin the two of them and just picking the top 10 players from the 2 teams. WOW. talk about a dream team!!!!! that was the oakland teams of the 90s.

Funny, you talk about all this mass talent when I can count on my one hand how many guys from Oakland have gone on to play D-1................... I merely brought up Oakland's past because you guys seem to think for some reason that Siegel is doing something never seen in the district, which is false.