Public Schools wanting to go into the D2 category

kwc

You don't think its unfair that private schools play 2 games to win a state championship and Class A-5A play 5 games to win a state championship!!!! That is an extra half season!

DII-AA schools actually play 3 games to win a state championship, and it's very fair considering the level of competition in every region and class game. It's alot harder to finish in the top 5 in DII-AA E/M to make the play-offs than it is to finish in the top 4 in some run of the mill DI region, where there will be a sharp decline in quality of teams at the bottom of the region.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big reason to all of this is money. If the county schools were to go DII, the money and they facilities would be a big advantage than where they are playing now. Nothing against city schools, cause they have good teams, but they have no fan support and you are playing on football fields that have games played on the surface 5 days a week. By the way it was very close to happening also. I think at the principals meeting it was voted 6 go DII and 2 against! (Houston and Collierville I believe)

Actually the vote was only 2 for and the other 6 against and I know that Millington was against going. I am not sure about anyone else.

Money. Gates. They aren't getting it when they play some of the city schools and it wouldn't be a problem if they were in a league with the private schools. As far as that goes, why join the league? Just play the teams anyway if that is what you want out of it.

As far as who the architect is, I don't know. I will see if I can find out.

The obvious advantages would be less travel and bigger gates. It's less of a racial issue if the Shelby County schools could do this by joining a 'league' like they would have in DII with 11 members playing 10 games than by doing the same thing in DI by simply not scheduling the Memphis city teams.

I don't see that there's an advantage to joining DII to get a shot at state championships like some are implying. To me this appears to be entirely financially based and not a bad idea imo. Aren't DII schools looking high and low for public school teams that will schedule them? Also the move from DI to DII is straight up. No multipliers. Isn't that what the DII schools have always wanted? Well, here's 8 schools that are willing to do it and they can't offer any kind of financial aid. I don't understand why the DII schools would be against it. It's the closest thing to what they say they want.

I don't see that there's an advantage to joining DII to get a shot at state championships like some are implying. To me this appears to be entirely financially based and not a bad idea imo. Aren't DII schools looking high and low for public school teams that will schedule them? Also the move from DI to DII is straight up. No multipliers. Isn't that what the DII schools have always wanted? Well, here's 8 schools that are willing to do it and they can't offer any kind of financial aid. I don't understand why the DII schools would be against it. It's the closest thing to what they say they want.

Because "we" would still be hearing comments like this every time a championship was won by a private. (above referenced as "they" )

Isn't that what the DII schools have always wanted? Well, here's 8 schools that are willing to do it and they can't offer any kind of financial aid. I don't understand why the DII schools would be against it. It's the closest thing to what they say they want.

I don't know of a single DII supporter that would be against this. Might be a good trend. Maybe the Williamson County and Rutherford County teams could follow.

BTW, all of the public schools offer 100% financial aid, last time I checked.

I don't know of a single DII supporter that would be against this. Might be a good trend. Maybe the Williamson County and Rutherford County teams could follow.

BTW, all of the public schools offer 100% financial aid, last time I checked.

I would edit to say, 'I don't know why a single DII supporter would be against this'. It seemed obvious to me in reading the thread that some are against it. Hence my post. 100% financed within a defined boundary is a better description for most public schools, but you get my point. It's straight up football. No multipliers. Big gates. Who wouldn't be for it? From a closed zone rural public standpoint, I'm all for it. I think it's the most logical split to have.

I agree that larger metropolitan areas might join DII. It's the closest thing to an urban/rural split which is the proposal that I would have voted for in the first place. Williamson County and Rutherford County would be obvious choices. Maybe even Knox, Davidson and Hamilton counties.

Food for thought.