The Arcentae Broome incident

TronCarter

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with LOD on this one.

McGavock is constantly in the news. Tribue gets removed, gang violence, fights at sporting events, McGavock kids go on TV and say they are trying to change the reputation of the school, and now this. Does anybody wonder why most schools hate playing these metro teams? Not all but most.

This dad should be ashamed of raising a delicate disrespectful kid. A kid mouthing off to the coach? Are you kidding me? Ok...I'm a very old timer here. But here's a little story for you...We had a kid on my high school team, big joker, would knock you teeth loose every time he had a chance. We had fouled up a play, were paying for it with some sprints...coach brought us all back together to talk. Big kid mutters something under his breath. I was standing right beside him and couldnt hear it. Coach heard something too, and knows where it came from. He grabbed big boy by the shirt front and drags him to the area we called the pit. Both lined down, big boy in pads, coach in sweats. Whistle blows, both fire off the line. Big boy ends up on he back, coach standing over him, asked who the blank is next.

Nobody stepped up. Nobody told. Nobody even had a bad thought, let alone mottering it under their breath for the rest of the season.

Football made men back in those days.

I have no idea what you call this father and son, but "men" doesnt come to mind for either of them for me.

not knowing more details on this incident it seems the coach deserved what he got. i find it interesting that when we are talking about adult high school football coaches and how they discipline teenage players. i would be embarassed if i was so out of control of the situaton that i would need to raise my voice to force the respect of a

kid. respect must be earned by the coaches. some kids will be harder to get through to than others. the best coaches always find a way to get through in a more mature fashion. i remember a coach from high school. never saw or heard him raise his voice. we always gave our best for him. if you can't control your emotions you can't control a game. i agree with what someone said earlier, bench the kid till he decides to be part of the team.

I'm not a big fan of physical contact between coaches and players in a disciplinary situation. i think anything more than a sharp rap to the helmet crosses a line: the Marine Corps manages to turn out a pretty good product without hitting its recruits. That said, why is this impudent liitle thug suspended for a game? Why is he still allowed on the team at all?

I must say that some coaches I have seen act like teenagers. THey need to realize they are "Coaches" and chose to get into the profession. IF they cannot handle their temper, they SHOULD NOT be involved with 15-18 yr. olds. The easy thing for this coach to do would have been to tell him to sit down and not play him again. Monday in practice, the kid would have run sprints while the rest of the team was practicing. Teach the kid a lesson without using physical force. Poor decision by the coach IMO.

Guys,

Couldn't believe I did not see a thread about this topic, so here it goes. This situation is pretty dadgum comical to me.

1. Quarterback comes off the field mouthing off at the coach.

2. Coach puts him in his place using a "little" force.

3. Kid goes home and tattles.

4. Daddy gets all PO'd.

5. Dad goes into administration.

6. Coach and player get suspended.

Does anybody else here on the board that is over the age of 25 or so, and played high school ball, find this absolutely comical. Look, its not OK to be beating on kids and stuff.

HOWEVER, if a player comes off cussing at his coach, there used to be an unwritten rule that you were placing your own life at risk at that point.

Look, I'm biased. I know Arcentae Broome, I like Arcentae Broome, and I KNOW he loves coaching kids. He probably needs to pick a better way to deal with this situation next time by placing Mr. Spolied Brat on the pine, and let that do the beating for him.

This pandering of teenagers has just got to stop somewhere. It was not like he slugged the kid or anything. I would have loved for this kid to play for a Doug Mullican. Warren Dunn, Tommy Owen, Cornelius Ridley, or some of those other old school guys and seen what would have happened. Those coaches would be in jail today for some of the things they would have done to him!

Parents have completely sissified football at Mcgavock High on this one.

What do you guys think?

I'm amused that Tommy Owen is in your group of "old-school" coaches in this discussion; Tommy Owen never raised his voice or used profanity, and had perfect control of his emotions, but his players were unanimously in awe of his ability as a coach. He could look at you and shame you into doing things his way. I realize, though, that Coach Owen was not the usual model of a successful coach in his comportment, although he was certainly incredibly successful.

I'm with Coach Broome on this one, and if this young man's daddy had administered the proper number of whippings when this young man was younger, maybe he wouldn't be out there disrespecting his coach.

IMO, I think the player got what he deserved and the coach had a right to stand up for himself. As a person of authority, you shouldn't take any disrespect from anyone. The player was disrespectful to his coach and needs to show respect to people of authority. A smack on the shoulder pads?? You gotta be tough to play football. I don't think what the coach did was violent. I think both parties involved need to move on. Pressing charges and wanting the coach removed is overkill.

Guys,

Couldn't believe I did not see a thread about this topic, so here it goes. This situation is pretty dadgum comical to me.

4. Daddy gets all PO'd.

Does anybody else here on the board that is over the age of 25 or so, and played high school ball, find this absolutely comical. Look, its not OK to be beating on kids and stuff.

HOWEVER, if a player comes off cussing at his coach, there used to be an unwritten rule that you were placing your own life at risk at that point.

Look, I'm biased. I know Arcentae Broome, I like Arcentae Broome, and I KNOW he loves coaching kids. He probably needs to pick a better way to deal with this situation next time by placing Mr. Spolied Brat on the pine, and let that do the beating for him.

This pandering of teenagers has just got to stop somewhere. It was not like he slugged the kid or anything. I would have loved for this kid to play for a Doug Mullican. Warren Dunn, Tommy Owen, Cornelius Ridley, or some of those other old school guys and seen what would have happened. Those coaches would be in jail today for some of the things they would have done to him!

What do you guys think?

I am a high school coach and I do not think it is appropriate to hit a player. I have seen many coaches here in Memphis do it and it makes me sick. These are kids and we are the adults I do not care if he was mouthing off or not. There was a different way to handle that situation believe me. I have coached in some rough areas and I have never had to hit a player. I have had some kids mouth off, be stern and let them know you are'nt going to back down. If my son ever got hit by a coach there would be some problems and I know how to parent. Just not acceptable. I am sure the coach realizes he made a mistake. Talk to the parents and move on.

Guys,

4. Daddy gets all PO'd.

What do you guys think?

I played for Warren Dunn and we had a "cussing incident" at an away summer scrimmage. Coach helped to "break up" the little altercation and when we got back to Blue Hole Road, he ran the guilty party, in uniform, for about an hour on the track. Things have certainly changed.

If the only way that a coach can earn the respect of his players is by physical force and intimidation, he doesn't sound like a very good coach to me. When I played, the main lesson we got out of football was to be respected young men. Who do you think these kids are going to model themselves after? My guess would have to be the adults that they spend the most time around, that's their parents and their football coaches. Maybe I'm on a different page then some of you old timers, but I'm pretty sure a truly respectable man doesn't go around hitting teenagers who smart off. Get some control of your emotions man, you're supposed to be the leader of the team for crying out loud. I believe that players copy the actions of coaches, I really do. But that's not a very good thing when your coach can't control himself!