IMAC (District 2 AAA) 2008-2009 Thread

raiderray

A broken clock is at least right twice a day /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

63-50 the score.

Buda had 13 points, 8 assists and several steals.

CC struggled some, as they settled for jumpers on the offensive end, and didnt defend well in the post all night long. Led by 1 at half, 7 at the end of three and by 5 for most of the final four minutes of the game (until the desperation fouling kicked in).

While it was not one of their best performances as a team, they did break 60 again for the second straight game. They broke 60 in only three games last season (one of which was in OT).

PT please dont use a broken clock analogy with a middle aged man (middle aged if i live to be 100 that is)because i resemble that remark. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the fact that it is the Greenevlle supporters that are bringing this up. That being said, this is not a new situation. I am certain that every IMAC thread since Crumbley's hire has had a least one very heated discussion about her demeanor on the sidelines, and how she has treated her players. So far, it appears that her winning record has overshadowed that aspect of her coaching traits. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I too am glad the Greeneville fans are acknowledging Crumley's behavior. My daughter played in the IMAC and every time they visited Greeneville they couldn't hear their own coach in the locker room because of Crumley's ranting and screaming in the Greeneville locker room. She said it was unbelievable what the opposing teams had to listen to. I too think her winning percentage has caused Greeneville fans and parents to "look the other way". She may be a wonderful person and a great coach but she need to learn to control herself on the sidelines and in the locker room.

Morristown West Favored, but IMAC Girls Loaded With Good Teams

Megan Fanney, left, Allison Jones and Brittany Watson, right, pose with Morristown West coach Johnny Galyon. They are part of a squad that makes the Lady Trojans the favorites in the IMAC this season. TriCitiesSports.com photo by Ron Bliss.

By Ron Bliss

TriCitiesSports.com

November 8, 2008

MORRISTOWN -- Morristown West picked up a Division I-quality transfer in Taylor Hall from Claiborne County and her presensce, along with returning point guard Megan Fanney, senior wing Brittany Watson, super freshman Allison Jones and returning standout Sidney Goins, who was felled by a knee injury early last season, has the Lady Trojans going into the upcoming season as the pick to win the powerful Inter-Mountain Conference in basketball.

"One of us is going to Murfreesboro,'' said new Cocke County coach Wade Wester, who is also high on his team, "and I hope it is us.''

Included among the Big Three are Greeneville, which returns all-state post player Nicole Dickson, who has committed to sign with Memphis University.

The district, in girls, is the strongest it has been in years -- if ever. Greeneville has advanced to the state tournament each of the last two years and isn't even favored. The Lady Greene Devils lost starters Rachel Collins and Devin McIntyre from last year's team, but coach Stacia Crumbley calls this "the deepest team I have ever had.''

Because of the reluctance of some coaches to rank the conference teams, TriCitiesSports.com is ranking them. Here is a look at the IMAC girls, in the order in which TriCitiesSports.com ranks them:

1. Morristown West: Hall, a 6-1 junior, is drawing attention from Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State and UT-Chattanooga, among others. She quit Claiborne County's team early in the season last year and transferred to be part of a Morristown West team that might have been favored with or without here. Goins, a 5-8 wing who is also a junior, had a game in the mid-30s before suffering the season-ending knee injury. Even without here, Morristown West came back and made substate. "Sidney can shoot it and so can Brittany Watson,'' said M-West coach Johnny Galyon. "and Taylor Hall may be the best player we have had here since Kayla Green, only she shoots it better than Kayla did. She is a treat to watch.''

Galyon calls Jones "the best eighth grader in the area last year.'' He says she is going to surprise some people. Fanney, also a junior, started last year along with Watson, who made 40 percent of her 3-point shots. "All of our pieces are finally in place,'' said Galyon. "We have 16 players and only two of them are seniors, This is probably the best team I have had in 10 years of coaching'' said Galyon. "Nine of them should be in the rotation. In addition to Hall, Goins, Watson, Jones and Fanney, others in the mix should be 5-4 junior guard Shelby May; 5-8 senior wing Jani Helton; 5-10 sophomore wing Kelly Smith and 6-0 sophomore post Lauren Hall. Smith averaged 15 ppg last year, but with Goins back at wing may have to come off the bench. That is how deep West is.

2. Greeneville: Though losing two key starters from last year, Crumbley is upbeat about her team and its chances. In addition to the 6-0 Dickson, Greeneville returns starters Jenna Medlin and Paige Ramsey. "We had the most impressive off-season we have had,'' said Crumbley. "We worked hard in the weight room and we will be in the best condition of any team I have had coming into practice. And we will be deep. We will be 10 deep. Sometimes that can be good and sometimes it can be bad. I don't think I have had more than eight in the rotation before.'' A bright newcomer is freshman Chandla Christopher who comes from Mosheim and will be "an excellent point guard,'' says Crumbley. "It is going to be a very tough conference. We used to have it easy, but everyone around us has raised their games to our level. I am excited that it is going to be tough because it has not been like that every year.'' Dickson said she didn't plan to commit early, but went ahead and did "because I knew Memphis was where I wanted to go. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming and the coach was new and had a good history where she had been.''

3. Cocke County: Wester could be branded "Mr. Enthusiam.'' A former Tennessee Tech player himself inherited the team after last year's coach took a job at Pigeon Forge over the summer. "I had always coached boys,'' said Wester. "I never expected to coach girls, but I took over after first agreeing to be an assistant ant then was given the head job when Coach O'Neill took the job at Pigeon Forge. I coached boys three or four years and never had a lot of talent to work with, but feel the basketball gods are paying me back with the talent I have been given here. I am taking over a great team with so much potential.'' Like the other two teams ahead of them, Cocke County can go 10 deep, says Wester. He returns four starters from a team that made noise last season. Returning starters include 6-0 junior Shannon Depew, who averaged 15 ppg last season; 6-0 senior guard Courtney Lewis, who averaged 12 ppg; 5-5 shooting guard Alex Suggs, a senior who average 10 ppg last season and 5-3 junior point guard Morgan Buda, who averaged 8 ppg "and had to lead the state in assists and steals,'' said Wester, who had the JV boys at Cocke County last season. Her average was in the six-to-seven category in each, he said. The team has size in 6-4 Allie Sprouse, a sophomore, She will alternate inside with Depew and 5-9 Jalese Pruitt. Freshman

Bailey Davis should contribute. Senior Kelsey Lloyd tore he ACL, but will make a token appearance in the opener before having a reconstructive knee operation. Wester will make Cocke County games fun. The first game will be "Elvis Presley Night" and a later game will have the team decked out in pink uniforms to raise breast cancer awareness.

4. Jeff County: Bryan Lewis begins his first full season. "The program has a bad taste in its mouth after three straight losing seasons,'' said Lewis. "But we have a good group of girls coming back. They stepped up and we had a good summer. We have a balanced team and I expect to play 10 girls. Our depth is solid and we have a good work ethic. Our weakness is size. Our tallest player is only 5-11 1-2 and she is a three-guard.'' Haley Nelson is the only returning starter, though Jordan Beatty started some at point guard. Lauren Lyke, a 5-10 senior, also saw a lot of playing time at forward. Others who should be in the starting lineup include senior Chelsea Whiteside at forward and sophomore Desiree Huff, a 5-10 post player. Raven Wheeler is a player Lewis expects to contribute. Whitney Kyle has been battling a foot problem, but should contribute when healthy. Megan Card is another who should see playing time. "We are expecting a total turn-around,'' said Lewis.

5. Cherokee: Mitzi Price returns two starters -- forward Whitney Gilbert and post player Casey Ryans. Gilbert is one of just two seniors. The other senior is point guard Katiane Cupp. Other likely starters include 5-8 junior wing Serenity Ewing and either 5-4 junior Courtney Davis or 5-5 freshman Lindsee Price, who is the daughter of coach Mitzi Price. Ashlee Price, the leading scorer last year, is now at Milligan. A good new addition will be 6-1 freshman Christian Maddox. "Ryans made a

big difference for us last year, though she was just coming out of middle school. We had a good year last year and swept Jefferson County for the first time. We have five returning from the varsity and four junior varsity players. We'll have

three new to playing high school ball.'' Price is hoping there will be some carryover from last spring's softball success. Gilbert was the star pitcher on that team and Davis and Ewing were other standout players.

6. Morristown East: Terry Livesay has only four girls back who saw varsity playing experience last year and says "we're going to struggle -- at least early. Our depth is suspect and we have only one senior.'' That would be Leah Leeper, of the returning varsity players. Others are juniors Samanatha Hale, Megan Blaylock and Kayla Orrick. Amber Hall is another who was on varsity last year, but was used sparingly. She is a sophomore. Others who should help include freshman Brittany

Wells, Sarah Collins and Emilie Hensley.

Preseason IMAC Team

F -- Shannon Depew, Cocke County, 6-0 Jr.

F -- Taylor Hall, M-West, 6-1 Jr.

C -- Nicole Dickson, Greeneville, 6-1 Sr.

G -- Sidney Goins, M-West, 5-8 Jr.

G -- Morgan Buda, Cocke County, 5-3 Jr.

Player of the Year: Nicole Dickson, Greeneville

Coach of the Year: Johnny Galyon, Morristown West

Newcomer of the Year: Taylor Hall, Morristown West

Morristown West Favored, but IMAC Girls Loaded With Good Teams

Megan Fanney, left, Allison Jones and Brittany Watson, right, pose with Morristown West coach Johnny Galyon. They are part of a squad that makes the Lady Trojans the favorites in the IMAC this season. TriCitiesSports.com photo by Ron Bliss.

By Ron Bliss

TriCitiesSports.com

November 8, 2008

MORRISTOWN -- Morristown West picked up a Division I-quality transfer in Taylor Hall from Claiborne County and her presensce, along with returning point guard Megan Fanney, senior wing Brittany Watson, super freshman Allison Jones and returning standout Sidney Goins, who was felled by a knee injury early last season, has the Lady Trojans going into the upcoming season as the pick to win the powerful Inter-Mountain Conference in basketball.

"One of us is going to Murfreesboro,'' said new Cocke County coach Wade Wester, who is also high on his team, "and I hope it is us.''

Included among the Big Three are Greeneville, which returns all-state post player Nicole Dickson, who has committed to sign with Memphis University.

The district, in girls, is the strongest it has been in years -- if ever. Greeneville has advanced to the state tournament each of the last two years and isn't even favored. The Lady Greene Devils lost starters Rachel Collins and Devin McIntyre from last year's team, but coach Stacia Crumbley calls this "the deepest team I have ever had.''

Because of the reluctance of some coaches to rank the conference teams, TriCitiesSports.com is ranking them. Here is a look at the IMAC girls, in the order in which TriCitiesSports.com ranks them:

1. Morristown West: Hall, a 6-1 junior, is drawing attention from Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State and UT-Chattanooga, among others. She quit Claiborne County's team early in the season last year and transferred to be part of a Morristown West team that might have been favored with or without here. Goins, a 5-8 wing who is also a junior, had a game in the mid-30s before suffering the season-ending knee injury. Even without here, Morristown West came back and made substate. "Sidney can shoot it and so can Brittany Watson,'' said M-West coach Johnny Galyon. "and Taylor Hall may be the best player we have had here since Kayla Green, only she shoots it better than Kayla did. She is a treat to watch.''

Galyon calls Jones "the best eighth grader in the area last year.'' He says she is going to surprise some people. Fanney, also a junior, started last year along with Watson, who made 40 percent of her 3-point shots. "All of our pieces are finally in place,'' said Galyon. "We have 16 players and only two of them are seniors, This is probably the best team I have had in 10 years of coaching'' said Galyon. "Nine of them should be in the rotation. In addition to Hall, Goins, Watson, Jones and Fanney, others in the mix should be 5-4 junior guard Shelby May; 5-8 senior wing Jani Helton; 5-10 sophomore wing Kelly Smith and 6-0 sophomore post Lauren Hall. Smith averaged 15 ppg last year, but with Goins back at wing may have to come off the bench. That is how deep West is.

2. Greeneville: Though losing two key starters from last year, Crumbley is upbeat about her team and its chances. In addition to the 6-0 Dickson, Greeneville returns starters Jenna Medlin and Paige Ramsey. "We had the most impressive off-season we have had,'' said Crumbley. "We worked hard in the weight room and we will be in the best condition of any team I have had coming into practice. And we will be deep. We will be 10 deep. Sometimes that can be good and sometimes it can be bad. I don't think I have had more than eight in the rotation before.'' A bright newcomer is freshman Chandla Christopher who comes from Mosheim and will be "an excellent point guard,'' says Crumbley. "It is going to be a very tough conference. We used to have it easy, but everyone around us has raised their games to our level. I am excited that it is going to be tough because it has not been like that every year.'' Dickson said she didn't plan to commit early, but went ahead and did "because I knew Memphis was where I wanted to go. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming and the coach was new and had a good history where she had been.''

3. Cocke County: Wester could be branded "Mr. Enthusiam.'' A former Tennessee Tech player himself inherited the team after last year's coach took a job at Pigeon Forge over the summer. "I had always coached boys,'' said Wester. "I never expected to coach girls, but I took over after first agreeing to be an assistant ant then was given the head job when Coach O'Neill took the job at Pigeon Forge. I coached boys three or four years and never had a lot of talent to work with, but feel the basketball gods are paying me back with the talent I have been given here. I am taking over a great team with so much potential.'' Like the other two teams ahead of them, Cocke County can go 10 deep, says Wester. He returns four starters from a team that made noise last season. Returning starters include 6-0 junior Shannon Depew, who averaged 15 ppg last season; 6-0 senior guard Courtney Lewis, who averaged 12 ppg; 5-5 shooting guard Alex Suggs, a senior who average 10 ppg last season and 5-3 junior point guard Morgan Buda, who averaged 8 ppg "and had to lead the state in assists and steals,'' said Wester, who had the JV boys at Cocke County last season. Her average was in the six-to-seven category in each, he said. The team has size in 6-4 Allie Sprouse, a sophomore, She will alternate inside with Depew and 5-9 Jalese Pruitt. Freshman

Bailey Davis should contribute. Senior Kelsey Lloyd tore he ACL, but will make a token appearance in the opener before having a reconstructive knee operation. Wester will make Cocke County games fun. The first game will be "Elvis Presley Night" and a later game will have the team decked out in pink uniforms to raise breast cancer awareness.

4. Jeff County: Bryan Lewis begins his first full season. "The program has a bad taste in its mouth after three straight losing seasons,'' said Lewis. "But we have a good group of girls coming back. They stepped up and we had a good summer. We have a balanced team and I expect to play 10 girls. Our depth is solid and we have a good work ethic. Our weakness is size. Our tallest player is only 5-11 1-2 and she is a three-guard.'' Haley Nelson is the only returning starter, though Jordan Beatty started some at point guard. Lauren Lyke, a 5-10 senior, also saw a lot of playing time at forward. Others who should be in the starting lineup include senior Chelsea Whiteside at forward and sophomore Desiree Huff, a 5-10 post player. Raven Wheeler is a player Lewis expects to contribute. Whitney Kyle has been battling a foot problem, but should contribute when healthy. Megan Card is another who should see playing time. "We are expecting a total turn-around,'' said Lewis.

5. Cherokee: Mitzi Price returns two starters -- forward Whitney Gilbert and post player Casey Ryans. Gilbert is one of just two seniors. The other senior is point guard Katiane Cupp. Other likely starters include 5-8 junior wing Serenity Ewing and either 5-4 junior Courtney Davis or 5-5 freshman Lindsee Price, who is the daughter of coach Mitzi Price. Ashlee Price, the leading scorer last year, is now at Milligan. A good new addition will be 6-1 freshman Christian Maddox. "Ryans made a

big difference for us last year, though she was just coming out of middle school. We had a good year last year and swept Jefferson County for the first time. We have five returning from the varsity and four junior varsity players. We'll have

three new to playing high school ball.'' Price is hoping there will be some carryover from last spring's softball success. Gilbert was the star pitcher on that team and Davis and Ewing were other standout players.

6. Morristown East: Terry Livesay has only four girls back who saw varsity playing experience last year and says "we're going to struggle -- at least early. Our depth is suspect and we have only one senior.'' That would be Leah Leeper, of the returning varsity players. Others are juniors Samanatha Hale, Megan Blaylock and Kayla Orrick. Amber Hall is another who was on varsity last year, but was used sparingly. She is a sophomore. Others who should help include freshman Brittany

Wells, Sarah Collins and Emilie Hensley.

Preseason IMAC Team

F -- Shannon Depew, Cocke County, 6-0 Jr.

F -- Taylor Hall, M-West, 6-1 Jr.

C -- Nicole Dickson, Greeneville, 6-1 Sr.

G -- Sidney Goins, M-West, 5-8 Jr.

G -- Morgan Buda, Cocke County, 5-3 Jr.

Player of the Year: Nicole Dickson, Greeneville

Coach of the Year: Johnny Galyon, Morristown West

Newcomer of the Year: Taylor Hall, Morristown West

Wouldn't hold too much stock in these predictions especially about Greeneville not even being favored. Obviously, Tricitiessports.com has absolutely no regard for nor interest in Greeneville as is evidenced in Ron Bliss' completely erroneous statements above. First of all, JEANA (not Jenna) Medlin has never started for the Lady Devils before this year. In the two hall of fame/champions games so far this year, Greeneville's returning starters are Dickson, Kelley and Ramsey and new starters are Morgan Shipley (all [conference] tournament last year) and senior Connor Hall. And freshman ChandlER not Chandla Christopher is going to be a great point guard, he is right about that just didn't care to get the name right. Check out PrepXtra.com to see a more accurate ranking of teams in the area. It's kind of sad when Knoxville does their homework and gives more accurate coverage that the Tri-Cities. But everybody up there is always hating on our little 2A school that has the audacity to play 3A and make all their big schools look bad. Oh well... maybe it's good to fly under the radar this year.

Oh and another little upstart sport in our school had the sheer gall to win the 3rd round of the 4A playoffs in football - Go DEVILS - Good luck against Maryville Friday night! (I know, tricitiessports.com -- how DARE us? -- it's unthinkable!)

Actually i dont think knoxville does there homework on the IMAC. They have no clue about the kind of players Depew and Buda are. And i would almost bet the farm that they are not even aware that Taylor Hall has transfered or what kind of player she is!. Espn and Hoopgurlz are more aware of the players in our area than the KNS

Actually i dont think knoxville does there homework on the IMAC. They have no clue about the kind of players Depew and Buda are. And i would almost bet the farm that they are not even aware that Taylor Hall has transfered or what kind of player she is!. Espn and Hoopgurlz are more aware of the players in our area than the KNS

That's surprising. I would have thought KNS would be all over the Hamblen, Jefferson and Cocke County schools just I would have thought the Tri-Cities would have been all over Greeneville as far as coverage and knowlegeability. KNS usually is very factual in covering Greeneville but not a lot of detail, mostly just highlighting Nicole Dickson and nothing about the other great playmakers we have. You're probably hit the nail on the head...they don't do their homework on us. It just goes to show that our IMAC area between the two metro/micropolitan areas doesn't mean alot to them and I guess that's why they are always surprised when one of us cruises past their teams on the way to Murfreesboro. (or to the final four in football as happened this last week when GHS "upset" [we knew it all along!] Sullivan South in Football for the right to play defending champions Maryville - GO DEVILS!) I just wonder if tricitiessports.com was as inaccurate about the rest of the IMAC teams as they were about ours. We probably need to start calling our region the Rodney Dangerfield division -- NO RESPECT! lol

Cocke County and MW are going to be forces to be reckoned with this year and for years to come. I'm really disappointed we won't get to see much action other than the occasional non-conference game with them after this year. There were beginning to be some great rivalries. Now we get essentially a bunch of home games with our own county schools and then several 2-hour bus rides in the snow over Clinch Mountain thanks to TSSAA not placing us in District 1. Again, it just goes to show how little the rest of the state knows about E TN geography. Even though Claiborne County looks close to us on a map, there's no easy way to get there. So much for saving gas!

Thanks for the update on the websites...I was familiar with the ESPN one but not the hoopgurlz one.

No problem! The hoopgirlz site and espn have merged and its a great site to keep up with.

I agree....but its not just the Imac thats being overlooked... I think East Tn as a whole is overlooked by state and national media even tho West and Middle tn AAU teams look to the east to help fill there rosters.

Good luck to all the Imac teams at holiday tournys!.........Im trying to make a list of who plays when so i can come up with a plan to see em all........That mixed in with the local Knoxville teams i watch will probably get me into hot water with the wife.

No problem! The hoopgirlz site and espn have merged and its a great site to keep up with.

I agree....but its not just the Imac thats being overlooked... I think East Tn as a whole is overlooked by state and national media even tho West and Middle tn AAU teams look to the east to help fill there rosters.

Good luck to all the Imac teams at holiday tournys!.........Im trying to make a list of who plays when so i can come up with a plan to see em all........That mixed in with the local Knoxville teams i watch will probably get me into hot water with the wife.

Are Buda and Depew recieving college interest?

I'd say! Cause that's a LOT of basketball! Our schedule is posted on www.greenevillsun.com/ladiesclassic. Even though it says the site is under construction or something like that, the bracket is available under the "schedule" tab at the top left.

Barb I think you need to relax when talking about a coach....I don't see you all over the boys coach with his antics? I guess its all right since he has been there a long time and can intimidate people. There is nothing wrong with grabbing a player by their jersey. Go to the football games and watch what happens to some of the players. By far is it no different than what she did. If the parent or player has a problem then I do believe they would go talk to the coach.

GHSbballfan I think you have very strong opinions. You are either for her or against her. Just support the team and get your child to play hard every play!

Lets not just be critical of one coach. Look at the actions of all the coaches in the IMAC if you want to point out one. I have seen things from all the coaches that don't really look good, but given their job and what they are to do then I think the deserve the chance to coach how they want as long as they don't hit or slap the individuals.

Barb I think you need to relax when talking about a coach....I don't see you all over the boys coach with his antics? I guess its all right since he has been there a long time and can intimidate people. There is nothing wrong with grabbing a player by their jersey. Go to the football games and watch what happens to some of the players. By far is it no different than what she did. If the parent or player has a problem then I do believe they would go talk to the coach.

GHSbballfan I think you have very strong opinions. You are either for her or against her. Just support the team and get your child to play hard every play!

Lets not just be critical of one coach. Look at the actions of all the coaches in the IMAC if you want to point out one. I have seen things from all the coaches that don't really look good, but given their job and what they are to do then I think the deserve the chance to coach how they want as long as they don't hit or slap the individuals.

Then you obviously don't know the coach. In the past any confrontation to the coach results in consequences for the player! I can give examples, but I won't.