Morristown East vs Sullivan South

EASTFAN

Most band parents that I've encountered at a number of schools are ridiculous. I rarely just hear "Our Little Johnny plays the flute." I always hear more like, "That Johnny can play the flute like nobody's business but yet quarterback gets all the glory! Where's the justice?!" Ok, maybe I dramatized that a little bit, you catch my drift. Those who can't play football, play the clarinet, and hey there's nothing wrong with that. It's the parents that kill me, though. Band parents are complaining about our football team's performance? The band is playing because of our football team. Band parents have always acted like they are in a exclusive club that's better than everyone else. The band is like girl's basketball...when things are going well, we'll say we're proud of you guys. But at the end of the day nobody cares about either of them but the parents. And nobody cares about the parents at a high school. When you're playing second fiddle (i.e. the band to the football team) to something, just accept it and shut up. Don't try to fight it. It's a democracy, people, and at South the majority wants football. Let it be. Be proud of your band kid and cheer for our football team. It's patriotic!!! And if you're a band parent and this post offended you, then hopefully you aren't like the band parents I've met. Rebelrebelman 1 - band parents 0

Rebelrebelman, as a recent south band graduate, I can confirm that yes....most (nearly all) band parents act like that, its just how they are and you have to learn to accept it and just keep cheering the team.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most band parents that I've encountered at a number of schools are ridiculous. I rarely just hear "Our Little Johnny plays the flute." I always hear more like, "That Johnny can play the flute like nobody's business but yet quarterback gets all the glory! Where's the justice?!" Ok, maybe I dramatized that a little bit, you catch my drift. Those who can't play football, play the clarinet, and hey there's nothing wrong with that. It's the parents that kill me, though. Band parents are complaining about our football team's performance? The band is playing because of our football team. Band parents have always acted like they are in a exclusive club that's better than everyone else. The band is like girl's basketball...when things are going well, we'll say we're proud of you guys. But at the end of the day nobody cares about either of them but the parents. And nobody cares about the parents at a high school. When you're playing second fiddle (i.e. the band to the football team) to something, just accept it and shut up. Don't try to fight it. It's a democracy, people, and at South the majority wants football. Let it be. Be proud of your band kid and cheer for our football team. It's patriotic!!! And if you're a band parent and this post offended you, then hopefully you aren't like the band parents I've met. Rebelrebelman 1 - band parents 0

I can definatley sympathize, a fourth of Dobyns Bennett's season tickets are taken up by band parents...who leave after halftime. I say we blame the DB band parents for taking up all the potential seats on the home side for our visitors. Take it, and run with it, rebelrebelman. That is, if you so choose.

I'm trying to open up, I'm really trying.

Some of this chatter is totally uncalled for. How about showing a bit of respect for each other. If you want to trash talk then be smart about it. Do your research and be concise. And have the stones to call it loud and proud. Otherwise, be respectable. Wanna have fun? That's fine but find someone to take lessons from. ie...Cap1, Volman Scott, Waco. Be consistant.

As far as the band is concerned, band parents have no room to talk. They only wore their uniforms 4 out of 6 games. No dicipline. That starts at the top. The bad part is their uniforms are the sharpest in NET. They should be proud to wear them. BUT, they have sounded impressive lately. And I have been proud of them. However, I dare say that the band parents haven't heard a bit of band thrashing in the stands themselves from football parents. I confess that I have been guilty of it. I was even chastised on the boards about it. That was back when I was a jerk. All I've ever said are comments about the uniform. My reasoning is what if we came to play a game in shorts and T shirts? Same difference in my book. It all starts with the coach. You get what you demand. Success breeds success. They come to Stacy...Stacy doesn't go to them. If the band ran a tight ship then our numbers would increase. But I must say the drum line is top shelf. Makes me want to break out my Ibanez when they start with the back beat.

The crowd won the game last week. Our boys needed that! And they will need an even larger dose of it this week. I bailed out after KK dropped the kickoff. I got up and said we are toast. Well I was proven wrong. So I am here to say have some fun on here. Fire off a few salvos, speak some truth, but remember that you can slam KK for a poor performance because one F on his GPA only makes an A-. But tender your words when slamming someone like SW. He is struggling to bring the cream to the top. It's a tender time (year) for him. He needs support. It's called confidence. And he desparately needs it. Everyone on our Offense is putting out stellar performances...except for SW. Don't crusify him but instead...advocate him. He needs numbers. Bradley needs to send him 8 or 10 passes this week and he will come around. Some people need numbers. Fletch is a prime example. The more he gets the better he gets. Maybe Seth is like that. It will do one of two things...make him or break him...lets find out. I for one have his back. Allow him some more room...he might just surprise you before seasons end.

And Greeneville...these people are good Southers. Don't discount them. They are better without Greenway. You will see that Friday. Be ready to fight in unison like last week. You showed our Rebels that you will back them and now they will rely on it. So no bailing out from me and when the inner circle gets fired up don't wait. Stand and be counted. I will make sure I don't give up this time.

Oh, and by the way...Bradley, Kk, and 'Fletch might just be slow white boys that can't run, catch or pass on the D1 level but they sure are fun to watch when they get their construction crew to working. Go ROADGRADERS! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Some of this chatter is totally uncalled for. How about showing a bit of respect for each other. If you want to trash talk then be smart about it. Do your research and be concise. And have the stones to call it loud and proud. Otherwise, be respectable. Wanna have fun? That's fine but find someone to take lessons from. ie...Cap1, Volman Scott, Waco. Be consistant.

Good point comp.

As far as the band is concerned, band parents have no room to talk. They only wore their uniforms 4 out of 6 games. No dicipline. That starts at the top. The bad part is their uniforms are the sharpest in NET. They should be proud to wear them. BUT, they have sounded impressive lately. And I have been proud of them. However, I dare say that the band parents haven't heard a bit of band thrashing in the stands themselves from football parents. I confess that I have been guilty of it. I was even chastised on the boards about it. That was back when I was a jerk. All I've ever said are comments about the uniform. My reasoning is what if we came to play a game in shorts and T shirts? Same difference in my book. It all starts with the coach. You get what you demand. Success breeds success. They come to Stacy...Stacy doesn't go to them. If the band ran a tight ship then our numbers would increase. But I must say the drum line is top shelf. Makes me want to break out my Ibanez when they start with the back beat.

The crowd won the game last week. Our boys needed that! And they will need an even larger dose of it this week. I bailed out after KK dropped the kickoff. I got up and said we are toast. Well I was proven wrong. So I am here to say have some fun on here. Fire off a few salvos, speak some truth, but remember that you can slam KK for a poor performance because one F on his GPA only makes an A-. But tender your words when slamming someone like SW. He is struggling to bring the cream to the top. It's a tender time (year) for him. He needs support. It's called confidence. And he desparately needs it. Everyone on our Offense is putting out stellar performances...except for SW. Don't crusify him but instead...advocate him. He needs numbers. Bradley needs to send him 8 or 10 passes this week and he will come around. Some people need numbers. Fletch is a prime example. The more he gets the better he gets. Maybe Seth is like that. It will do one of two things...make him or break him...lets find out. I for one have his back. Allow him some more room...he might just surprise you before seasons end.

And Greeneville...these people are good Southers. Don't discount them. They are better without Greenway. You will see that Friday. Be ready to fight in unison like last week. You showed our Rebels that you will back them and now they will rely on it. So no bailing out from me and when the inner circle gets fired up don't wait. Stand and be counted. I will make sure I don't give up this time.

Oh, and by the way...Bradley, Kk, and 'Fletch might just be slow white boys that can't run, catch or pass on the D1 level but they sure are fun to watch when they get their construction crew to working. Go ROADGRADERS! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I agree with a lot of what you say Comp, but trust me, the dicipline is there as far as the students go, they dont have a choice in matters of their apparel however. And the numbers have gone up actually. In fact, in the past 5 years they have almost tripled.

My family has not missed a game this year and I can honestly say we look forward to the bands performing at half time. Even though our family member plays football, we cheer on the bands when they hit the field.

Something I am surprised at though.....South fans and parents dissing each others kids on here. Wow, don't you think we need to be encouraging and building them up when they have an off game instead of pulling them down? I'm sure they have beat themselves up over dropped passes etc enough already.

I'm new on here and probably shouldn't have such a strong opinion but had to voice it anyway /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

My family has not missed a game this year and I can honestly say we look forward to the bands performing at half time. Even though our family member plays football, we cheer on the bands when they hit the field.

Something I am surprised at though.....South fans and parents dissing each others kids on here. Wow, don't you think we need to be encouraging and building them up when they have an off game instead of pulling them down? I'm sure they have beat themselves up over dropped passes etc enough already.

I'm new on here and probably shouldn't have such a strong opinion but had to voice it anyway /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Greeneville's big'ol band rocks and so do their parents....in uniform every game at home and away.

I have not watched South but one time this year and when the kid dropped a couple,I just said out load that it's ok.I said that and then told the fans around me that South is going to need him later.Just like when ME missed the extra point,I said that could be big.Don't forget before the ME center put one back for 2 points,I called that one and cheered to the end for South.Point is South fans,don't give up until it's over.

If I had a kid in the band,I have to be honest.I would be there for him first and the football team second.However,I would stay until the end to cheer his school on.The only game I left early was North vs. Rye Cove,because the talent difference was terrible and it was cold as ..