Morristown East vs Sullivan South

EASTFAN

One of my sons is a starter(jr.) #40 LB Matt Helton. My other is #58 Luke Helton(so.) DE.

My observation of the game is bitter. Both teams made mistakes but I can not help but feel that we could have and maybe should have won that game. 4th and 1 with JUMBO in and we sweep with our larger starting qb out and Howell in at qb? We ran that earlier in the game and I think we telegraphed that one. Give it to the big boys and let them falll forward for a yard and then worry about a TD to win. Get the yard first!!!!!!!

When we blitzed on passing downs, we pressured him but we did not do it enough. I knew when we had the bad snap saftey that we had lost the game. Sad to say but based on me following this team, I knew it in my soul that we had blanked it away. We lost the part of the game played between the ears. Not every member of our team or coaching staff, just a few and that few was enough to equal a loss.

Cane, East has a good kicker, why didn't you kick to tie with time on the clock being low? Go overtime?

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my sons is a starter(jr.) #40 LB Matt Helton. My other is #58 Luke Helton(so.) DE.

My observation of the game is bitter. Both teams made mistakes but I can not help but feel that we could have and maybe should have won that game. 4th and 1 with JUMBO in and we sweep with our larger starting qb out and Howell in at qb? We ran that earlier in the game and I think we telegraphed that one. Give it to the big boys and let them falll forward for a yard and then worry about a TD to win. Get the yard first!!!!!!!

When we blitzed on passing downs, we pressured him but we did not do it enough. I knew when we had the bad snap saftey that we had lost the game. Sad to say but based on me following this team, I knew it in my soul that we had blanked it away. We lost the part of the game played between the ears. Not every member of our team or coaching staff, just a few and that few was enough to equal a loss.

I agree with you on this 72. Stopping the Canes on 4 and 1, and the safety were the two biggest plays of the game. It was like the air was knocked of yall. I do believe this was one of most physical games the Rebs had played all year. Your Canes are to be commended for bringing it to the Rebs. The way I see it, if everything stays together for them, theres a category 5 Hurricane brewing in Hamblen County for '09.

At least we have a visitors side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

REBEL NATION!

Great comment!

Cane, East has a good kicker, why didn't you kick to tie with time on the clock being low? Go overtime?

To be honest, I would have gone for it too. Nothing against the kicker but he was 1 of 1 on the year and I would have "danced with the one who brung us" and gone for it. Momentum had shifted and we would have lost that game in OT. I do not blame them for going for the win.

To be honest, I would have gone for it too. Nothing against the kicker but he was 1 of 1 on the year and I would have "danced with the one who brung us" and gone for it. Momentum had shifted and we would have lost that game in OT. I do not blame them for going for the win.

I agree. Just as when we kicked our first field goal it was 4th and 2 or 3 on the 25. Bradley, Bobeye, and Taylor were unstoppable even though we were dropping every thing thrown, so to not go for the throat was suicide. It gave MoEast a directive and they starting rolling. A TD at that juncture would have been a mental blow whereas a FG was just enough to p them off. But by the time the goal line stand materalized the Rebels had gotten a second wind. It was a classic game of momentum and strategy.

I agree. Just as when we kicked our first field goal it was 4th and 2 or 3 on the 25. Bradley, Bobeye, and Taylor were unstoppable even though we were dropping every thing thrown, so to not go for the throat was suicide. It gave MoEast a directive and they starting rolling. A TD at that juncture would have been a mental blow whereas a FG was just enough to p them off. But by the time the goal line stand materalized the Rebels had gotten a second wind. It was a classic game of momentum and strategy.

Thanks fellas, Greeneville has a great post game (scoreboard) show, for about an hour and they call the announcers from the other schools and I felt the East announcer thought they should have gone for the FG. Hence my Question.

Thanks fellas, Greeneville has a great post game (scoreboard) show, for about an hour and they call the announcers from the other schools and I felt the East announcer thought they should have gone for the FG. Hence my Question.

I think they made the right call to go for it.When East missed the extra point which would have made it a 15 point lead,I said that could be big.That probably was in the back of the East coaching staffs mind.

As we talked about after the game, Comp,... I'm not sure why they didn't use the Bobby & Fletc magic mix more. Bobby feels like he only gets pulled when they need a 1st down. I'm trying to keep his spirits up these days since he's not seen much of the field in the last few games. He's tired of hearing my 'next year..." Any advice boyz?

As we talked about after the game, Comp,... I'm not sure why they didn't use the Bobby & Fletc magic mix more. Bobby feels like he only gets pulled when they need a 1st down. I'm trying to keep his spirits up these days since he's not seen much of the field in the last few games. He's tired of hearing my 'next year..." Any advice boyz?

Send him to DB !

Easy, I have one in the same boat, they'll get there chance next year. I have to give that same speach all the time.

I've been calling for the 2 back set ever since bobby made it back. I love the way he runs and it's tougher on the defense when you have to figure out which of the 3 have the ball instead of just 2. We could use them out of the backfield as well for passing. Slip both of them out and then high Ty over the middle. I just believe we have so many more options with that formation. Let's face it, our coaching wasn't very good against Mo East. It's time for them to step up as well. Our offense has seemed to sputter once we get inside the 20. Not sure if it's because the field is more compressed or what it is. We have the O line that can open up the holes. Just keep feeding TF and BT and there's no reason we can't make 10 yards on 4 downs. And one last thing about the coaching. Did any of them tell Davenport to run the clock down on that last drive? We were snapping it way too early. Just watch the referee and see when he starts counting before you snap it. I don't blame the 5 yard penalty on anyone though. For whatever reason, that was a quick play clock on 4th down. We still had 3 timeouts though. Why not use one since that was a crucial 4th and 1 at the end of the game?