Dobyns Bennett Football

You and I have had our differences and agreements on this board in the past. I give you 5 stars for this analysis of D-B's situation. The youth league and middle school comments are spot on. Just look at the relative success of neighboring middle schools. Colonial Heights, Church Hill, Vance, and even Holston have had great success in recent years. Robinson is very uneven - sometimes good and sometimes very bad. Sevier is more consistent but generally not at all dominant against the other middle schools I mentioned earlier. One thing I would give the D-B coaching staff credit for is player development. They do seem to do a good job in developing the MS talent over the next few years, particularly when competing with local teams. I would assume this is a credit to the D-B position coaches.

On another history note, is Greeneville the last local (NET counties north east of Hamblen county) team to beat D-B in the regular season?

Yes in 2002 I think. Prior to that it was Tennessee High in 1997.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and I have had our differences and agreements on this board in the past. I give you 5 stars for this analysis of D-B's situation. The youth league and middle school comments are spot on. Just look at the relative success of neighboring middle schools. Colonial Heights, Church Hill, Vance, and even Holston have had great success in recent years. Robinson is very uneven - sometimes good and sometimes very bad. Sevier is more consistent but generally not at all dominant against the other middle schools I mentioned earlier. One thing I would give the D-B coaching staff credit for is player development. They do seem to do a good job in developing the MS talent over the next few years, particularly when competing with local teams. I would assume this is a credit to the D-B position coaches.

On another history note, is Greeneville the last local (NET counties north east of Hamblen county) team to beat D-B in the regular season?

Yes, Greenville was the last "local" team to beat DB. It was the first win for Greenville over DB in 31 years. After the win they quickly removed DB from their schedule and they haven't played since.

The point is in 4A as in 5A the larger areas, Knoxvill, Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis all dominate schools in our area when we meet. Region 1 4A gets to avoid these teams until late in the playoffs. DB does not. Simple

I wonder how that will work out next year? What really concerns me is the DB vs SH team that does not win that matchup,for sure if they loose a couple more conference games.

Actually, D-B or Science Hill could go 1-9 and still make the playoffs. The winner of that game goes automatically.

No, the winner of the DB/SH game does not automatically make the 6A playoffs. Regardless of who wins the game, one has to have a better overall conference record than the other to get the automatic bid. For example:

1. Science Hill defeats Dobyns Bennett in the regular season conference game.

2. With the loss, Dobyns Bennett falls to 6-1 in overall conference play, and Science Hill moves to 5-2 with the win.

3. Dobyns Bennett receives the 6A automatic playoff bid due to having a better overall conference record than Science Hill.

BatmanDB, a 4-3 overall conference record will most likely disqualify Dobyns Bennett or Science Hill, whomever has the 4-3 record, from the automatic bid. It, however, may not disqualify them from a wild card selection, dependent upon the wild card pool for Districts 1, 2, 3, and 4. Hope that helps.

No, the winner of the DB/SH game does not automatically make the 6A playoffs. Regardless of who wins the game, one has to have a better overall conference record than the other to get the automatic bid. For example:

2. With the loss, Dobyns Bennett falls to 6-1 in overall conference play, and Science Hill moves to 5-2 with the win.

3. Dobyns Bennett receives the 6A automatic playoff bid due to having a better overall conference record than Science Hill.

BatmanDB, a 4-3 overall conference record will most likely disqualify Dobyns Bennett or Science Hill, whomever has the 4-3 record, from the automatic bid. It, however, may not disqualify them from a wild card selection, dependent upon the wild card pool for Districts 1, 2, 3, and 4. Hope that helps.

True, I was basing it on both going 0-9 (which we both know will not ever happen) in their other 9 games. Thus, a 1-9 team could make the playoffs in this system (which we both know stinks).

The old way was much better!!

I don't think the TSSAA could have made it any more complicated if they had tried. The playoffs will be over before we figure out the formula. Gas prices are way down, why couldn't they have just left well enough alone?

I don't think the TSSAA could have made it any more complicated if they had tried. The playoffs will be over before we figure out the formula. Gas prices are way down, why couldn't they have just left well enough alone?

As a DB fan, just wait until you guys have to travel and play at schools like Daniel Boone and Volunteer. It will feel like DB dropped down in classification.