Smyrna vs. Oakland

SHSBaseballLaz

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st-The game is friday not tonight. Tonight the Browns play the Bills ...

2nd-You're speaking as tho Oakland is inferior to Smyrna. Smyrna has alot of talent everywhere but so does Oakland.Our quarterbacks are young also and the starter has really just found his groove again after his injury. When the starter went out the backup came in and managed the game to keep us undefeated. I havent seen many quarterbacks in this region throw with accuracy on the run and off of their back foot like our starter has. Even when you pressure him he's smart enough and fast enough to scramble and throw or run for a first down. He's not a pocket quarterback in my opinion and even when the play is dead he makes time for his receivers to come back to the ball.

3rd-No doubt Bryson,Hicks,and Brown are great but Oaklands run game is unlike anyone probably in the STATE! Precious Valentine and Sam Bass are just as good if not better then Hicks and Bryson. As for brown... well he's no comparison to T.Mayberry or big Dre Frazier.

4th- Wide receivers eh! Chris Johnson stands 6'4 and smyrnas secondary probably avg 5'9 so you do the math. The holes are smyrnas secondary and if they wanna play bump and run then its going to be a long night for them. But Chris isnt all we have. 6'3 Will Walker is also catching the lob passes and 6'4 Blissard will be coming in. Thats just the tall guys. #7 and #9 are our big linebacker and DL and they both play tight end and NEVER have dropped a ball all year! wait! lets not forget about the short but quick guys. #25 is a short little guy and u wudnt think he's anything but think of him as a wes welker kinda receiver. #20 Buddy Mitchell is short but very strong. He's quick and runs great routes. Last but not least theres #1 Chanz Boyd. Imean the kid runs a 4.4 and is just now trying to get in a groove from his ankle sprain. He led along with Johnson in THIS region with ypc and yac.

5th- DL? you've gotta be kidding me! Tim Mcadoo is a Mr.Football candidate as a junior and as of late has been eating offenses for dinner so im sure bulldogs is on his menu for friday night. #78 hasnt got much pub but avg about 2sacks and 8 tackles a game. Also he's lined up right next to Mcadoo so pick your poison. #67,#83,#9, and also big RICO have been tallying up the sacks/tackles up as of late. Smyrnas dl could back up ours but they wont start over anyone we have thats why our defense is 2nd in 5-a among opp ppg and smyrna is in the top 15.

6th-our OL IS VERY GOOD! i dont think we have given up a sack in playoffs at all and 3-4 of our DL PLAY BOTH SIDES.

7th- our linebackers are just as good if not better then smyrnas. can u please give us some credit somewhere geez!

finally it will be a cold day in heck before smyrna scores 24 points on oakland in our house!

oakland 13

smyrna 10

I dont even recall saying the game is tonight but okay. Thanks for responding, as I wanted to make sure who to watch for Friday night. I'm curious to know how many 100yd rushing games each of your RB's have had, I don't think very many. Oakland is a great team, I'm not downing them, they just are not a championship team in my honest opinion, and I've watched a lot of football in different levels. People used to say Riverdale had a swagger everytime they played a game, Smyrna now has that swagger. Now it can be negative, there's no doubt about that, but I just don't see Smyrna losing to Oakland. Oakland is strictly 1 Dimensional, and it just so happens that Oakland's 1 dimension is Smyrna's Defensive strength. Now our secondary is no joke either, we've got athletes all around to spread the wealth. Hager, Shaw, Watts, Johnson, Corey, are all extremely talented CB's. Honestly, your size could be a concern, but with our pass rush I think the QB will be making bad throws if he even attempts more than 7 passes. Our secondary is medium sized

Shaw - 5'9

Hager - 6'3

Corey - 5'9

Johnson - 5'8

Watts - 5'8

Laith - 5'8

Jenkins - 6'

So it should be interesting. But the fact that you have plenty of both side starters would concern me if I were you. If Smyrna pounds the ball and gets many 3rd down conversions, this will lead to trouble for the Patriots. We have all we need to win, all we need is a game of execution. Oaklands offense isn't very potent, so if we don't turn the ball over on our own 20yd line, I believe we can tolerate 2-3 turn overs.

More Room for Error = More Chance to Win

Good luck to both teams, and just know that Smyrna isn't overlooking anyone we just expect to win.

If you need any info on our team, players to watch let me know, I would like to be as educated on this Oakland team as possible.

I dont even recall saying the game is tonight but okay. Thanks for responding, as I wanted to make sure who to watch for Friday night. I'm curious to know how many 100yd rushing games each of your RB's have had, I don't think very many. Oakland is a great team, I'm not downing them, they just are not a championship team in my honest opinion, and I've watched a lot of football in different levels. People used to say Riverdale had a swagger everytime they played a game, Smyrna now has that swagger. Now it can be negative, there's no doubt about that, but I just don't see Smyrna losing to Oakland. Oakland is strictly 1 Dimensional, and it just so happens that Oakland's 1 dimension is Smyrna's Defensive strength. Now our secondary is no joke either, we've got athletes all around to spread the wealth. Hager, Shaw, Watts, Johnson, Corey, are all extremely talented CB's. Honestly, your size could be a concern, but with our pass rush I think the QB will be making bad throws if he even attempts more than 7 passes. Our secondary is medium sized

Shaw - 5'9

Hager - 6'3

Corey - 5'9

Johnson - 5'8

Watts - 5'8

Laith - 5'8

Jenkins - 6'

So it should be interesting. But the fact that you have plenty of both side starters would concern me if I were you. If Smyrna pounds the ball and gets many 3rd down conversions, this will lead to trouble for the Patriots. We have all we need to win, all we need is a game of execution. Oaklands offense isn't very potent, so if we don't turn the ball over on our own 20yd line, I believe we can tolerate 2-3 turn overs.

Good luck to both teams, and just know that Smyrna isn't overlooking anyone we just expect to win.

If you need any info on our team, players to watch let me know, I would like to be as educated on this Oakland team as possible.

I like your optimism, but I don't think either team could sustain 2-3 turnovers...unless the other team gives up 5-6 which is highly unlikely. This game will come down to the team that makes the fewest mistakes. I don't think anyone can say that Smyrna is the better football team than Oakland right now. They have 3 fewer losses and beat them head to head.

I think these two teams are about as evenly matched as you can get. Each strength mirrors the others strength. I give the Oakland DL the edge, but the Smyrna LB's the edge, so the front 7 or 8 for both teams is pretty even in my opinion. I think it will come down to the team that hits a crucial pass. Both teams will load up to stop the run, and both teams will establish the run. The X factor is who is efficient in the passing game when they need to be. It seems that both QB's are starting to establish that.

As even as I think these two teams are, it might come down to OT (again) and the kicking game.

Shaw - 5'9

Hager - 6'3

Corey - 5'9

Johnson - 5'8

Watts - 5'8

Laith - 5'8

Jenkins - 6'

Your darn right Smyrna is not looking past anyone. They did not get to where they are by doing that. Coach Williams has done a nice job getting his team to focus on the job at hand.

I think your comment on Oakland is a bit dated, they were 1 dimensional. They have been throwing the rock a bit more lately and with some success, enough, that it will loosen up the defense.

Listen Smyrna is playing very well but Oakland is a different team. They have the athletes to match up well with Smyrna. Smyrna will need to pull into Oakland with great passion and play this game hitting on all cylinders. If not we will be heading back to Smyrna hoping next year is the year.

What is it saying? What would 11-2 say?

Look, Oakland has had a nice year. But their record is not what will beat Smyrna. They will beat Smyrna by trying to move the ball on this Fast and Physical Defense. Not an easy task. Not many teams have done it with any regularity. Their have been a few big plays here or there but not many.

I think the talk of this developing into a bit of a rivalry it right on. Both of these teams have very young talent. I feel the road to the State will lead threw Rutherford County and Williamson County for the next few years. (I know the games played in Rutherford county, so no bad jokes please.) The growth of these two areas is unreal and it will only make the teams in those counties teams stronger.

I think Smyrna is the underdog in this one, without question. Oakland is 11-1. Also they have beaten the Bulldogs this year in a extremely tough battle. This is a Home for Oakland. BUT, I feel this Smyrna team has found their game and they are playing very well as a team right now. They will be very tough to beat. They now "BELIVE" and they are not hoping to win this game; they are going in there with the mindset that they WILL win the game.

The Bulldogs have had an up and down year but..........though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Believe in the NOW

GO DOGS!!!

On the flip side, I think even though Oakland is 11-1, one could argue that it is Oakland that is indeed the underdog, with the way the Bulldogs have been playing as of late. When you make it this far, all teams believe on a equal level and that goes goes the same for expecting to win. Sometimes the hunger of a challenger is greater than the intestinal fortitude of a champion, we shall see Friday night.

Shaw - 5'9

Hager - 6'3

Corey - 5'9

Johnson - 5'8

Watts - 5'8

Laith - 5'8

Jenkins - 6'

Honestly, Oakland really doesnt have that many kids that start both ways, and in this program, starting is just a formality as Oakland plays a bunch of kids, thus why Oakland has been able to wear teams out in a lot of games. The passing game has been there for Oakland all season long, but just now have they been effective in executing it.

Oakland features a qb in Christian Adams that doesnt have as much zip on the ball as he would like, but is a very heady QB and for his age, puts good touch on the ball. Very rarely will Christian try to force qwhen the play isnt there, most of the time just trying to gain yards however he can. He is no track star, but he can get a few yards when needed. It is obvious that he gives the offense much needed confidence along with an assurance that Oakland can open up its playbook a little bit more and be fine.

Ill be frank, for most games, there has been nothing pretty in the way Oakland wins games. There are games where we have struggled holding onto the football, or on offense, defense or all 3, yet for all but 1 game, Oakland has found a way to win.

As for your assertions that Oakland has no experience in the playoffs, at least among its players, you are correct, but a couple of things to keep in mind: 1.) The last Oakland team to win a state championship did so after being out of the playoffs for 5-6 years, how long has Oakland been out of the playoffs until this year? 5 years. 2.) In that 1998 championship season, Oakland beat a team in the quarterfinals in Riverdale that was the standard for our area and was a defending state champion, much like the 2 time defending champs Smyrna. 3.) Oakland's players may have no experience, but alot of these coaches on staff are well versed in what takes to win a championship. Hopefully history repeats itself friday night

The staff at Oakland not only has been to the Big Dance but a couple of them have MORE championship rings than Smyrna does. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Does this give them the edge? Not necessarily, but it does help.

I honestly cannot call this one either way, but I know who I hope wins it.

Depth and continued time in the weight room will be the most telling factor in this one as it will be a LONG HARD game for both teams.

I figure if I am gonna see this one I had better get there by 4 to get a parking spot with in a mile of the school! Also figure at least and hour after the game to get out also.

Neither team will blow out the other one and this one WILL go down until the final whistle.

The staff at Oakland not only has been to the Big Dance but a couple of them have MORE championship rings than Smyrna does. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Does this give them the edge? Not necessarily, but it does help.

I honestly cannot call this one either way, but I know who I hope wins it.

Depth and continued time in the weight room will be the most telling factor in this one as it will be a LONG HARD game for both teams.

I figure if I am gonna see this one I had better get there by 4 to get a parking spot with in a mile of the school! Also figure at least and hour after the game to get out also.

Neither team will blow out the other one and this one WILL go down until the final whistle.

Actually, LOD, if you know where to park, it is pretty easy to get in and out, even for the big games. If you are there by 4, I salute you sir, even I do not show up till around 5:30

Actually, LOD, if you know where to park, it is pretty easy to get in and out, even for the big games. If you are there by 4, I salute you sir, even I do not show up till around 5:30

Some of us OLD folks have to park in the Handicap section and it is heck getting out from back there! Seems some folks do NOT like getting out of the way of vehicles. Especially the R'dale folks after having their tails handed to them! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Besides it gives me time for MORE hotdogs! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

OaklandPatriot wrote:

"On the flip side, I think even though Oakland is 11-1, one could argue that it is Oakland that is indeed the underdog, with the way the Bulldogs have been playing as of late. When you make it this far, all teams believe on a equal level and that goes goes the same for expecting to win. Sometimes the hunger of a challenger is greater than the intestinal fortitude of a champion, we shall see Friday night."

OaklandPatriot, we disagree here on the Underdog question. Yes, Smyrna is the defending Champs but this is not the team or staff of the last 2 years for Smyrna. I don't need to tell you that. As good as they are playing; they are not the same team. With that said this Smyrna team is very good and will be a tough out. Your right about this being the playoffs and that means the teams are very good.

Oakland has beaten the Dogs already and it's a home game for them. I think this give Oakland the edge, at least mentally.

Will that have anything to do with the outcome of this game? I don't think so but I think it's clear who the underdogs are here.

OaklandPatriot wrote:

"On the flip side, I think even though Oakland is 11-1, one could argue that it is Oakland that is indeed the underdog, with the way the Bulldogs have been playing as of late. When you make it this far, all teams believe on a equal level and that goes goes the same for expecting to win. Sometimes the hunger of a challenger is greater than the intestinal fortitude of a champion, we shall see Friday night."

OaklandPatriot, we disagree here on the Underdog question. Yes, Smyrna is the defending Champs but this is not the team or staff of the last 2 years for Smyrna. I don't need to tell you that. As good as they are playing; they are not the same team. With that said this Smyrna team is very good and will be a tough out. Your right about this being the playoffs and that means the teams are very good.

Oakland has beaten the Dogs already and it's a home game for them. I think this give Oakland the edge, at least mentally.

Will that have anything to do with the outcome of this game? I don't think so but I think it's clear who the underdogs are here.

Maybe not, but those kids have earned the right just as much as they have battled for the last 3 years. Even with Sonny and Rod, it was never a walk in the park and even though they do not have the same talent or coaching staff, I would venture to say that Smyrna is better overall than it was last year. In a game like this, there really is no underdog or favorite, just the team who executes the best

Some of us OLD folks have to park in the Handicap section and it is heck getting out from back there! Seems some folks do NOT like getting out of the way of vehicles. Especially the R'dale folks after having their tails handed to them! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Besides it gives me time for MORE hotdogs! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Speaking of which, pray for more rain. Last game, they had a overabundance of hot dogs and were selling them for $.50 at the end of the game /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Maybe not, but those kids have earned the right just as much as they have battled for the last 3 years. Even with Sonny and Rod, it was never a walk in the park and even though they do not have the same talent or coaching staff, I would venture to say that Smyrna is better overall than it was last year. In a game like this, there really is no underdog or favorite, just the team who executes the best

Speaking of which, pray for more rain. Last game, they had a overabundance of hot dogs and were selling them for $.50 at the end of the game /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yep, I took an armful of them home for a late night snack.