FELONY FOOTBALL

EXCHEQUER

Austin-East head coach Kwayu Graham on Tuesday afternoon refuted an early report on an area television station's Web site that stated he had cleared the players to play.

"I don't know where they got that from," he said. "Nobody talked to me."

Graham refused to disclose any decision on their availability.

"This was not a school function," he said. "I can't comment on that. This is dealing with their parents. I don't know. It wasn't at school. I don't know."

WHAT A CROCK!!!

Here is the link:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/nov/19/8...as-shoplifters/

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their guilt or innocence is not going to be determined in time for the next game. In fact, it'll take awhile. So here's my proposal: If the coach/administration decides to let them play and A-E loses, then it makes no difference -- the arrests alone have caused sufficient controversy. But, if they win, and any one or some or all of these players subsequently plead out or are found guilty of any offense (including any lesser offense) connected to this incident, then they forfeit any wins from here out. Set those rules in place and then let the team decide...I'm betting the rest of the team isn't going to be willing to let them play if there's a chance (and from what I've read it appears to be a pretty darn good chance) that their hard work will go up in smoke.

If these players play on Friday, then everyone will witness the downward spiral of AE football. No accountability. If I'm not mistaken, when Rankin took over Alcoa he kicked two of the best athletes off the team for being thugs, and staying in trouble. A trophy case full of gold footballs later, and he has one of the best programs around. Up & comers knew to stay out of trouble.

This is not some kids making a stupid, kid mistake. This was an organized attempt to commit a felony. How many thousands of dollars have these young men pilfered through the years? What kind of parents would let these kids play after being caught doing something like this?

Start holding parents accountable for what their kids do and the parents will keep a closer eye.

Be more careful when you're running a shoplifting ring?... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Seriously, I guess you have to stick to the innocent until proven guilty (odds are they'll drop them to misdemeanors anyway) but you'd love to see a coach step up and do the right thing.

Regardless the innocent to proven guilty thing is overplayed here.I don't care if they didn't file charges and released him to momma , coach needs to stand up and sit the kid.

Heck few years ago all region qb at indy stole a cheeseburger in lunch line. The coach sat his butt on the bench in a playoff hunt as well

come on.you know these guys are innocent.i think we will see al sharpton and jesse jackson in on this if these fine pillars of the community,these fine young black kids who are all on the honor roll are kicked off the team.see the cops have kids who play on catholic ok? and catholic could not beat them this time around so they had the police trump up charges on these young men hoping to dismiss them off the football team so catholic would win.it's racial profiling i tell you.all charges should be dropped!!! wow i should be a lawyer.by the way i have some swamp land at austin homes i'd love to sell you!!

You sir should refrain from bringing politics and race-baiting in to this discussion of highschool sports.

Go call a radio talk show if you want to spew that type of sewage !

You can look at it two ways... one is you shouldnt put your self in posistions to be charged for anything therefore you should be punished by the team or two innocent untill proven guilty. Check out the Duke Lacrosse case from 2 years ago they were innocent and the whole season was cancelled. What was the right call there? I think that was the wrong call. If the players arent causing problems in school or to the team let them play. If they are convicted kick them off though.

Regardless the innocent to proven guilty thing is overplayed here.I don't care if they didn't file charges and released him to momma , coach needs to stand up and sit the kid.

Heck few years ago all region qb at indy stole a cheeseburger in lunch line. The coach sat his butt on the bench in a playoff hunt as well

hehe good ole cordell...proven guilty....benched...good call

As a parent, I would not let my son play. I would be more worried about his future than the dang playoffs!

When it comes to the law, these players are innocent until proven guilty. when it comes to football, these coahes need to send their team a message that activities such like this will not be tolerated and they should not play. there is more to life than a game on friday night.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

This evening Knox County School Supt. announced that he had made the decision to sit the players involved until their legal problems are concluded. They have not been allowed to practice and it looks like the situation has come to a halt. Decision made, players sit. Best decision for all involved.

Talk about handling something in a totally opposite manner:

http://tennessean.com/article/20081120/SPO...-1/PREPSFACTORY

Is that really the best you can do? Getting better ,are you serious? Just look at the NFL ranks, Tn Titan steps on the face of another player with intent to do harm beyond the game. Tn Titan cannot stay out of trouble , even with all his $$$ he cannot control the urge to get into trouble. Fla St athlete moons fans from the endzone. UT player repeatedly arrested for DUI. IT goes on and on and all because at the first sign of at risk behavior they get coddle and there is no consequence (no loss , no sacrifice on their part) for their actions. Don't be ridiculous , athletes are generally held to a higher standard and are expected to "represent" their institution(s) and community at a higher level than "others. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> "

And that stuff never happened back in the * good ole' days when u played " ? Mooned some fans in the endzone ?

Was payton manning made to sit out when he mooned a female on campus ? when I was in college if I had

pulled down my pants in front of a female I would have been charged with a lewd act. Things are worse in the NFL

now than in past years ?I dont think so. Furthermore how many times have you been on a message board calling for the

firing a of coach like Bob Knight when he throws chairs ,verbally abuse people while on tv and even crap in the

floor of the basketball court and make the players practice around it ? Talk about high standards !

but thats different.

In my opinion "personally" when a player commits a crime that envolves a victim ( like a department store) I think

they should be snactions by the the coach and or school. But Im not going to run up and tell the coach

what he should or should not be doing. If you want the POWER to suspend a player then put in the

long hard hrs that these coaches put in a be a coach yourself !