Big 9 Baseball

tricitiessportsfan

I've watched many of these HS players in the summer and they seem to play better in the summer travel teams (especially the hitting) then they are playing during school ball... .....

Why is that??? When the kids can play at East Cobb in the summer and are as good as anyone there and are younger than most , they should be more dominant during the school season.

Is it lack of motivation???

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched many of these HS players in the summer and they seem to play better in the summer travel teams (especially the hitting) then they are playing during school ball... .....

Why is that??? When the kids can play at East Cobb in the summer and are as good as anyone there and are younger than most , they should be more dominant during the school season.

This is a very perceptive post bbfan09. I too have witnessed some of the local tourneys and see some of our young men playing better in the summer. As BTMom pointed out, her son had pitching talent and it was not nurtured but overlooked. The pitching coach at her son's school is most ineffective and has a chip on his shoulder. Not to mention the baggage he carries. Won't go there though. A lot of the coaches today look for kids who already have mature talent and use that up. They don't want to "teach" anything; they just want to win. In my area Dave Rutherford was probably one of the best teaching coaches around. He took what he saw as promising talent and honed their skills. He did not apply high pressure as many do today. A lot of the young men are given one chance and if they don't perform, like BTMom said, they are set up to fail and usually end up quitting. Others can make error after error and remain on the field. I also think some travel coaches make the whole experience fun. The team seems to bond better and they play hard for men they respect. The East Coach is an example. He respects his young men and they respect him. He is fair. Kids look for fairness and respect it. If they don't get it, just as BTMom said, they find another sport to excel in. I think the motivation is there, but the respect, the fun and the fairness arent.

That's what it's all about--being good role models for these young men.

The above quote is the bottom line and many young teachers and coaches have missed it by a mile. 'A' played for Cline. My little brother, Josh Morrison, and his best friend, Todd Corum, played for Cline and were recruited by Tallahassee Community College. Cline did a great job of PR and follow through to get them signed and settled in for a successful experience & scholarship. Us old sages know its about the journey, rather than the destination... and if you make the journey successful, the quality destination is sure to follow. I agree that Bobby could have been groomed well for a JR or SR relief pitcher if he was used correctly and instructed well on JV only moving to Varsity when the time came. That's the journey that so many kids & coaches (and parents) miss.

There's a rule at my house: at the end of the day my question is "Did you have fun?" and Bobby's (or one of the other four kids) answer should always be 'Yes!' When it's a no, then it's time to make some changes somewhere. That's why Bobby's not playing baseball and he really misses it-- and we all miss watching him. Not because he was a STAR, but because it was just FUN.

A toast to TIME & FUN! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Bobba Mama

Sage! Now there's a word I will claim as my own! hahhaha I see it's just an "S" with age to follow. Probably a story there somewhere. Ah yes...it is the journey and when mama and I had our kids, we asked the same questions as you. Is it fun? Like you, if the answer was no, we moved on. Life is too short to be saddled with someone seeking their own fame (in coaching not fortune though) and identity with whoever they can promote. In our day, we never cursed at the kids, we never talked down to them, never told them they stunk ( a term which I detest) and never belittled any player. I read a post yesterday and was responding before it was mysteriously removed. In essence, it asked why so many coaches feel the need to drop the F-bomb or use the Lord's name in vain which goes against all positive teachings at all!!!!! I feel it shows immaturity and lack of professionalism and since I'm an old coaching sage, I can say that. 60+ to be exact. Now that REALLY shows my age. But as you say, scholarships, further education, and fun on the ride is what counts. Not your ace, your upcoming star or raging at parents. Many guys cut their own throat by dissing parents. Just tell them you don't want to discuss playing time, don't threaten and try to be a human. Shaking head here again. Perhaps you and I should open a School for Positive Coaches.

I think the motivation is there, but the respect, the fun and the fairness arent.

You just described the Jackson Richardson and a few other Rebels BB players or boys that should be playing and are watching instead.

Never think that Jackson has any extra benefits from 'A'....any day Jackson shows up for school, practice, or baseball games is a day that he had to fight and overcome a million demons to get there.... so he can go to the BB field and fight some more.

If you see Jax--- give the boy a pat on the back and tell him to hang tough. He'll appreciate it. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Bobby Mama

& Jax, & Seatbelt, & Ryan, & Parker

& half the other roaming aimless boyz

from South /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys on South baseball. If you want to find the last TRUE role model in the system, you'll have to go all the way back to Zollman. While Cline was an excellent coach and was good about getting kids "looks" from colleges, he IS NOT a good role model. Not saying A is, but Cline sure ain't!

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys on South baseball. If you want to find the last TRUE role model in the system, you'll have to go all the way back to Zollman. While Cline was an excellent coach and was good about getting kids "looks" from colleges, he IS NOT a good role model. Not saying A is, but Cline sure ain't!

Oh, Volman, please. You'd rather pick at me than eat when you're hungry. Now you know ME. Do I look like I'm anybody to be judging who in this world is a good role model or not? I never said the man lived his life like a pure bred Christian soldier; and this may come as a surprise but, --- I MESS UP really BIG most days BEFORE I even WAKE UP! Now's that's a shabby role model for you. Cline ain't gettin' no tiarra for role modelin', dear. He was a good baseball coach, helped a few kids out along the way, wasn't in it for himself, and knew enough to know when it was time to call & fold. Role model? Lordy, who am I to talk about THAT?! Don't make me come over there.

And no, I'm not just takin' up for Cline because I broke his heart. I don't have time for guilt. I ask forgiveness & not permission.

You know you love me. Just admit it.

They all have to sometime by free will or

under duress & threat of pain.... /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

My goodness---ole Gordon Zollman. Yes, you are right there. He WAS a role model for sure. I knew him back in the day. Cline was a young 'un in my book but he always gave 110% on the field. He did his job and did it well. Got the college boys there to give 'em a look. He tried to keep his personal life to himself but some of the parents in that area like to "do a little digging" sometime to stir things up if you know what I mean. I see your point and I understand it well. You've caused me to stop think but I still believe he was an outstanding coach. And I sure agree, especially after conferring with the heart-breakin BTMom, A is not any kind of role model. Pretty hypocritical on a lot of issues. Evidently the community down there is finding out about him.

You just described the Jackson Richardson and a few other Rebels BB players or boys that should be playing and are watching instead.

Never think that Jackson has any extra benefits from 'A'....any day Jackson shows up for school, practice, or baseball games is a day that he had to fight and overcome a million demons to get there.... so he can go to the BB field and fight some more.

If you see Jax--- give the boy a pat on the back and tell him to hang tough. He'll appreciate it. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Bobby Mama

& Jax, & Seatbelt, & Ryan, & Parker

& half the other roaming aimless boyz

from South /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Sorry about the Jackson kid. When we played them, it looked like a lot of kids were hanging on the fence. Guess he's got his stars already chosen. Stars are short-lived but character is for a lifetime.

I can't believe this ridiculous conversation is going on when the Big 9 tourney officially starts tonight!!! Let's stick to what really matters please! BTW I think DB's pitching is being given too much credit, while Daniel Boone and THS aren't getting enough credit for their arms. these are my predictions for Round 1...

Play-In game: Central 8, Volunteer 5

Round 1: Science Hill 12, Central 1

DB 3, South 2

Daniel Boone 8, East 3

THS 11, Crockett 2

I might be biased since I do coach a travel team and my son has played on a travel team for four years, but I do seem to see better baseball in travel baseball. I've seen runner after runner make the third out at third. I've seen the second hitter bunt in the first inning after the lead off hitter got on base. I've seen outfielders throw to the wrong bases. I've seen pitchers left in way too long and some taken out way too soon.

For years I heard about the politics in baseball, but I didn't believe it. As several have mentioned, I have recently seen some kids given opportunity after opportunity to succeed and others given no opportunities. I've seen potentially good players move to other districts. I've seen other talented players just quit and pursue something else. I've seen marginal players continually fail but continually left in the line up. These things don't make sense to me. If I were a school coach, I would want all the talented players I could get and work on fielding, hitting, and pitching situations. I would want a program that everyone was trying to get into rather than move away from.

The advantage of travel ball is the limited number of players and the cost of playing. Most travel teams keep about 12 players on a roster, so kids get to play. Because of the cost, if the coach isn't adding value, the players will go somewhere else. Also, the higher cost of playing and attending games insure that the parents are going to get the kids to practice and to the games. Also, most players have some skills. They are probably in top 20% of players. They know how to throw, catch, and hit. As a coach, you spend your time tweaking their abilities and teaching them the little ins and outs of the game.

By the way, if you want to see some good baseball, there is a 14U tournament this weekend at Domtar Field in Kingsport that will have a lot of talent from GA., East Tennessee, Texas, North Carolina, etc.

I can't believe this ridiculous conversation is going on when the Big 9 tourney officially starts tonight!!! Let's stick to what really matters please! BTW I think DB's pitching is being given too much credit, while Daniel Boone and THS aren't getting enough credit for their arms. these are my predictions for Round 1...

Play-In game: Central 8, Volunteer 5

Round 1: Science Hill 12, Central 1

DB 3, South 2

Daniel Boone 8, East 3

THS 11, Crockett 2

I'll make my predictions as well madman101:

Play-In Game Volunteer 5 Central 1

Round 1:

Science Hill 14, Volunteer 0

DB 7, South 3

Boone 6, East 4

THS 10, Crockett 4